Steering Position Sensor (G85)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
2006 TDI with the DSG transmission

This car has the Steering Wheel Symbol on as well as the Traction Control Light. Also, VCDS scan gives a Fault Code with the Steering Position Sensor. As I understand both of these symbols are related to a faulty Steering Position Sensor. YouTube University has numerous vids on how to re-set the angle. It appears to be a straight forward procedure!

Anyway, I pulled the Steering Wheel, etc., and replaced the Sensor. After numerous attempts to set (re-set) the Steering Angle has been fruitless. I actually tried doing the re-set before replacing the Sensor. Other than a parking light DTC due to a blown bulb, there are no other codes with this vehicle?

Thoughts?

Yoohoo48

TDI
2006 jetta tdi
I just had this experience with my new to me 06. I turned to lock left, then lock right, then drove straight forward and backward about 30 feet and it went out. I have been chasing bugs with this damn thing since I got it but all have been minor minus the major egr cooler leak. Try what I described and update if it worked!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
YooHoo48, thanks for the input. I'll go give it a try.

I've studied the wiring schematics to eliminate the Clock Spring. It appears that the Clock Spring has nothing to do with the Steering Angle Position Sensor...

Yes, I will follow-up with an update!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Okay, I did take it for a road test ... nothing changed even after doing the re-set several times, again.

So, I did forget there were other codes (scanned several days ago, just forgot).

- Terminal 30 no voltage
- ABS Left rear Sensor, mechanical failure (I replaced that sensor with a Bosch brand 8 or nine months ago). The issue there could be the metal ring might be all rusted! The owner said the Steering Symbol and Traction Control Symbol come on recently. I cannot remember if when or if he said when the ABS light come back on. (obviously need more info there)

Reading in Ross-Tech, there appears to be other things to test and look into.

I found this in VWVortex. It is a short Thread with 14 posts total. It appears that Terminal 30 could have been a re-call item, but certainly a known issue by the dealer(s). You'll also seen in Post #8 that G85, Steering Position Sensor is involved.

And, this link has some related info ... https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/00352-terminal-30a-011-open-circuit.401247/

Last edited:

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
From the outside looking in: Clean the grounds! Search out cleaning grounds in this MKV forum. Clean all the grounds, especially the one with the tan/peach colored wire under the engine air filter box. But, do all of them, including the battery to chassis, chassis to starter, the 2 or 3 forward of the engine space E box & the ones under the windshield plenum area. Take a look at the fusible links on the front face of the engine space E box. If you are seeing corrosion there, clean those also. The G85 & ESP light should self clear after turning the steering wheel lock to lock & a bit of driving. Good luck with it. I hope it works for you.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep! Looks like a chore in ground cleaning is in order.

The ESP light has never been on.

Dan1337

TDI
Golf
I had a similar experience after I disconnected my battery. I turned the wheel left, right and followed all online instructions and it never went out. After maybe 5/6 goes I gave up and went for a drive for probably 5 miles and some time during that drive the light went out.

Hope this helps.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, this one is still problematic. The owner is going to replace the ABS sensor wheel as it is bad rusty. Then, we'll try again!