TDI
Golf Mk5 (1K1)
Hi

My car is a
VW GOLF , 2005
(1K1)
2.0 TDi (BKD engine) 103kw
Mk60 Teeves ABS Module

I have a problem in that I cannot get my steering assist to re-assign after a battery change, the Steering Assist & ESP lamp will not turn off... no matter what I try.

I know that the owners manual states a "short drive" is required after a battery disconnection, I have tried this with some aggressive turns both ways thrown in to try and get it to re-initalize.

I Even put the old battery back in, checked EVERY FUSE, EVERY Connector, EVERY earth and all check out using a multi meter for continuity. NOTHING on the car is after market, NO DODGEY aftermarket I.C.E, NO dodgey wiring, as a Ex Ford/Lotus Tech the procedure and practises to undertake a methodical car repair is no mystery.

So............

As i have a genuine Ross-Tech Mirco-Can cable and software i plugged this in, which throws up the steering angle sensor as having the following fault.

fault code 00778 (G85)
000 - -
freeze frame

NOTHING else is shown NO OTHER FAULTS.

so with this info i attempted to clear the code, after clearing and re-reading it the fault is still there, and no steering assist.

So naturally i attempt to undertake adaption of the steering angle sensor's cenrte & end points as per Vag-Com wiki guide

as the ECU for the ABS incorperates the ESP the adaption is undertake from within the ABS electronics

following the guide below, i get to the point of "attempting to activate the basic settings in group "060" i recieve the following error:

ERROR GROUP 060 NOT AVAILABLE

I have had a trawl of the ross tech site but i cannot seem to find anything on this particular issue, any of you clever guys got any ideas as i am tearing my hair out with this thing and the missus is bending my ear about it now.......

give me a set of webbers to balance by ear any day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------------------------------

Centre point
Adaptation

Basic Setting

Sensor for Steering Angle (G85)

Prerequisites:

• Start the vehicle.
  • Turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
  • Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
  • If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight.
  • Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
  • Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition.
  • System voltage at least 12.0 V.
[Select]
[03 - Brake Electronics]
[Coding-II - 11]
OR (if Coding-II is not available)
[Security Access - 16]
Enter 40168, to enable the basic setting.
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
After a successful basic setting, field 2 should say "OK".
[Done, Go Back]
To make sure the basic setting was succesful, check the sensor again.
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 004
[Go!]
Check field 1, the value has to be between -1.5 and +1.5 °.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]
----------------------------------------

Last edited:

Calvinx

TDI
Golf Mk5 (1K1)
Hi

thanks for the reply

As the steering assist is electric it it now completely OFF/stiff on both left & right axis

as for the full scan, no point really as it shows nothing more pertinant to the problem that i have already shown you, but here you go.

03 :ABS Brakes
labels : 1K0-907-279-MK60-F.lbl
Part No: 1K0 907 379 K
Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0104
Coding: 0023170
Shop# WSC 01287 785 00200
VCID: 3A55E23B0CD9

1 Fault Found:
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
000 - -
Freeze Frame:

44 : Steering Assist
labels : 1Kx-909-14x.lbl
Part No: 1K2 909 144 G
Component: EPS_ZFLS K1.2 1301
Shop# WSC 01287 785 00200
VCID: 3041C013DAA5

1 Fault Found:
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
000 - -
Freeze Frame:

This fault cannot be cleared or adapted in either module by the prescribed ross-tech methods, all other modules list NO FAULT CODE FOUND

Is your steering harder then before when you turn left or right?
And please post full auto scan so we can see what is goimg on.

Last edited:

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
Go to ABS, Measuring Blocks, Group 004, Field 2 and observe what the steering angle sensor does while you turn the steering wheel.

-Uwe-

Calvinx

TDI
Golf Mk5 (1K1)
Go to ABS, Measuring Blocks, Group 004, Field 2 and observe what the steering angle sensor does while you turn the steering wheel.

-Uwe-
Hi thanks for your input, done that too, the angle in degrees appears to correspond ok to the wheel inputs... this is why the fault seems so odd, it will probably turn out to be somthing stupid.

Calvinx

TDI
Golf Mk5 (1K1)
Drive car in short distance ,then try this:
do full left turn and hold 5 sec, full right turn and hold 5 sec then go straight up.

Hi thanks again for the input, i will try this in my morning & report back my findings

thanks again.

Calvinx

TDI
Golf Mk5 (1K1)
Hi all

well as an update i undertook the Remedial work to try to re-assign the steering angle sensor as suggested and NO go.......

Wife gets pissed at me about it, & stomped off and she took the car to the local VW dealer, initally guy looks and say "no problem 5 min will re-program it"

2hrs later he came back and says we cannot reprogram it and dont know whats wrong with it....

my turn to stomp about on the phone. i asked 3 questions

1. Why if you are an "Approved" Dealer with full diagnostic equipment can you not diagnose the fault ???

SILENCE ....

2. Can you tell me the email address of VW customer services in wolfsberg Germany ?

only sound from then on was the sweet sound of butt clenching !!!!

low and behold 20minutes later workshop controller calls back smarmy as they come, saying the steering angle sensor is faulty !!! and they will fit another tomorrow !!!

so this leads to Question 3

Why would a perfectly operational item suddenly become faulty after a battery change ?

reply you must have fitted the battery incorrectly !!!!!

blood pressure through the roof now, so i quote chapter and verse of how Er-Win describes the correct procedure to change a battery on my vehicle...

i ask would that method of installation be acceptable ??

SILENCE...

So im told its fixed but im still no clearer why they part suddenly failed after fitting a new battery in the corect manner !!! unless the sensor "was on its way out"

anyone any ideas ?

and thanks for all your help and guidance with my problem, im pissed i didnt get to the bottom of it myself, as fitting this sensor was my next step...

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I had my battery out of the car for about a month when I changed my clutch and had absolutely no problems with the steering readapting. I backed out of the driveway and within 2 blocks the steering lights went out. I did charge the battery for about a day prior to hooking it up.

It is possible that your new battery sat on the shelf for a long time and didn't have a complete charge. I probably would have tried charging the battery and then trying the adaption again.

I have heard that the charging systems and electronics on these cars can give you problems if you don't start out with a fully charged battery.

Calvinx

TDI
Golf Mk5 (1K1)
update

Hi All

To update proceedings, to cut a long story short (hahahaha)

The techs at the main dealer (and i used the term techs VERY LOOSLEY, as I think my last apprentice was a good bit better than this lot on his first day) DID NOT fix the car by installing a steering angle sensor....

But they came back and said "we now think the fault lies with the steering ECU" hmmmmmmmmmm after two previous FAILED diagnoses I am by now not convinced of the technical abilities of these guys!!!

So the wife tells them to install the part, as this part will now be their THIRD attempt to repair the vehicle. & they now have to wait for the part coming from another of their outlets, which is only approx. 40 miles away but this is the arse end of the world, sorry Cyprus, it took three days to arrive!!!!

As the FAILED second diagnosis was on a Friday and they close at 2pm we now have to Jump to the following Monday, and drop the car off at 7:30 am and ask them to keep us informed of proceedings, they come back and finally tell us after we have harassed them for info that the THIRD diagnosis did not repair the car Doh!!!!!!! They now say that they have finally tracked the fault down to the steering rack module & to repair we must have a full steering rack installed for mucho €€€€€€€€€€.

By this time we are getting a smidgen pissed at the thought of these guys NOT APPEARING TO HAVING AN EFFING CLUE WHAT THEY ARE DOING and are just appearing to be throwing parts at the car in the VAIN hope of curing it, so they are told by the wife that she HAS NO CONFIDENCE in their technical abilities but to fit the rack, and the owner is thinking if this does not cure it then the incompetents are not being paid for parts or labour incurred that is NOT required due to their own miss-diagnosis

So we call a UK dealer for the parts cost and book time of the job that VW quotes to install a steering rack UK dealer quotes the required parts and an installation/coding time of 4hours

this is now on to diagnosis # FOUR
THREE DAYS LATER the car is still not finished!!!!! And the owner is told “this is a very technical and HUGE job to change a steering rack you know” uh Hu!!!!!!
Methinks you guys are only used to brakes, oil changes and the like……. So Friday afternoon 13:30pm we rock up to inspect the progress as they close at 2pm on a Friday.

We sneak round the side on another building and look in the open workshop door and the car is still approx. 30 minutes from full assembly 90 minutes later the car is dropped to the deck and they now tell us that all that is left to do is to “re-code” all the module’s.

So we watch the process from the waiting area looking through the glass, I observe the sad but laughable situation that i have seen many times in my past as a tech, the scene unfolding in front of me is one of initial optimism as they begin the process, but sadly one that you could tell from the “oh fark” body language and the fact that it went from One guy peering forlornly into the computer screen to THREE all with the same look of “why the Fark is this thing not working” and furious plugging in and unplugging of the diagnostic plug…. I relay to my missus that these guys are struggling & have still not repaired our vehicle, another hour later a dejected but oddly smiling lead tech finally comes in and tell us that they have 50% fixed our car!! (It appeared from his demeanour that he felt we should congratulate him) I’m thinking 50% that is as much use as a chocolate fire guard, as in effect the vehicle is still not repaired, so wearily as I’m becoming somewhat tired of this circus I ask what’s wrong now .

The guy steams off into his spiel that due to the car a 2005 model being “too old now” that they had to install a steering wheel (his words) module from a 2009 model and that the two were incompatible and that the ABS light was on and they could not get the part to accept re-coding. But that the steering assist was now operational!!!!!
So to allow me to understand the guy fully, I put it in my own words to him.
“You are telling me, that due to the fact that YOU GUYS fitted an incompatible & unrequired part to the vehicle (namely a steering wheel ecu, one that did not cure the fault I might add) that the vehicle is still not fully operational” ?

His reply was priceless and I think he needs an Oscar nomination, he said “well it’s not our fault that the battery was fitted incorrect causing this huge problem and this final fault is ANOTHER fault”

I ask him what his purpose in this establishment is ?

At this he looks a little puzzled and says “excuse me” so I tell him “I thought your ONLY remit as the approved V.W. repairer was to repair the vehicle & not to try side step your remit by making excuses your incompetence by attempting apportion blame elsewhere for the fault it does not fully matter to you how the fault occurred (other than for the purpose of obtaining information to make a complete and informed diagnosis of the fault) your only remit is to repair the vehicle NOTHING MORE.

Not sure if due to the language barrier & my strong accent that he fully understood me, but my Greek wife told him in a little more diplomatic term what I said...
He launched almost into obit and lost his cool…. “Nice! Very professional I’m thinking”
So we are now on the FOURTH FAILED diagnosis and having been in constant contact with V.W in Wolfsburg about the series of miss-diagnosis where I had already predicted that fitting all these parts would not affect a full repair to the vehicle, and having been continually asking for V.W’s technical assistance and intervention on the matter, as I felt the dealer was now very much out of out of their depth and comfort zone but could not stand back and admit that they required further assistance…. The initial reply from V.W was.
Thank you for your message. We kindly request your understanding that it is not possible for us to attend to all our customers from our headquarters in Wolfsburg, but count on the competence of our world-wide network. Consequently, we have forwarded your correspondence to our Importer, responsible for all matters concerning sales and service of Volkswagen in your country, asking them to look into your issue and
get in touch with you directly. Please expect further communication from them.
Hmmmmmmmmm this is all well and good but how can I feel rest assured that the importer will undertake an impartial investigation of themself!!!!

I call Wolfsburg and explain the situation; they agree with my assessment and promise that they will be in further contact with the importer’s customer service department head, and that he will promptly be in contact with me with regards to the matter.

Guess what IM STILL WAITING!!!!! NO call has come from their customer service department, I have called them EVERY work day they are open to request to talk to their department head of customer services, on EVERY occasion I have been fobbed off being told ;he is in a meeting, the toilet, out to lunch, etc. etc. And that he WILL call me back very soon…. I’m NOT holding my breath.

So on Friday afternoon the head tech promises to re-code the offending module and that he WILL call us BEFORE noon on Saturday, I leave saying I do not believe in the competency of him or his technicians.

Saturday noon comes and Go’s……………… but much later in the afternoon a dejected tech calls and says that they still have not repaired the vehicle and that it will have to be taken to their “main branch in the capital Nicosia to be repaired” so the missus says “you are admitting that you have been unable to correctly diagnose the vehicle fault?” the guy just cannot say “yes im sorry we need help on this one to repair it” it would appear the mind-set is one of “not knowing when to admit they need help”

By this time I am thinking “what if the vehicle did not require a rack? Am I expected to pay a huge amount for a non-required part?” so as the missus was going back to work offshore on her 5 week rotation on the Monday, her father took her to the airport and I went too as we would have to pass the local V.W. workshop on our way to the airport drop off, as the father in-law is full Greek he did the talking the look of “horror” on the face of the lead tech’s face when we asked to take the “old” rack away to have an independent inspection undertaken of its operational status was priceless!!! But I at this point found that my vehicle was still on the premises and being worked on!!
I had already predicted that they would refuse… which they did on the grounds of the bill not having been paid, we said ok, you still have the vehicle as collateral for any unpaid bill and that you will be retaining the vehicle until such time as any bill is paid in full, Oh man….

If there had been a pram full of toys they would have been right royally destroyed.

This train of thought too was refused, so I requested that I see MY vehicle, they took me to the vehicle but steadfastly REFUSED to allow me to Touch MY vehicle, I told them I wished to inspect MY vehicle fully and that I had every right to inspect MY vehicle, they seemed not like this but allowed me to touch my vehicle telling me that the faulty steering rack was stored in the boot, as the vehicle was plugged in to the V.W diagnostic tool I decided to have a little look at what was on their diagnostic screen But I DID NOT touch their equipment. Another guy entered the area and saw me looking at the screen and his immediate words were are YOU the technician who was previously working on this vehicle, I thought “that’s a funny thing to say” but I also understood that you can look at someone and tell if they kind of understand what they are looking at.

The guy then turned the screen away and asked why I had made this fault and their initial dignosis public knowledge on THIS forum; I made him aware that I was making a provable truthful statement as to the condition of my vehicle and making “in my opinion” a truthful estimation of your company’s current performance.

I thought the guy was going to hit me, he filled with colour like a glass of red wine.

But after all the problems and faffing about they had done in continually failing to diagnose the fault, not keeping us fully appraised of the situation, not having had any contact from their customer service, their refusal to provide a courtesy car and their attempt at blaming instead of fixing the vehicle I was past caring.

So I decided to inspect the rack “faulty” rack and I got my camera out at the sight of the camera I thought they were going to physically remove me from my vehicle, as they began shouting at me “what are you doing, why are you taking pictures, if you wished to see the part numbers, we can provide them” I explained that I wished to make sure that when the vehicle was returned to me that the part I obtained with my vehicle was the VERY same part I had inspect by taking a picture of the serial number, they asked “why” my reply was “I am sorry I have NO confidence in your abilities after your continual failure and that if my vehicle is finally repaired that I still wish to have my original steering rack inspected by an independent and impartial inspector to ascertain its status and that if I found that a steering rack was not required that I would be seeking recompense for having to pay for a part that was not required.

Well that did it, I didn’t even need to be asked to return to the waiting area the look of “we are going effing kill you mate” said enough. I thought retreat might be advisable at this point, and made the tech aware that the “cut-off point” for their involvement with any attempt to repair the vehicle was Friday.

So this is the point we are at, I’m thinking I am left with a vehicle that the approved repairer has not a clue how to fix, and I am left thinking “where do we go from here?”

I know one thing,

I WILL NEVER EVER OWN ANOTHER V.W.

Last edited:

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Just out of curiosity, why (once you established that the tech's did not know what they were doing) did you allow them to continue working on your car?

Calvinx

TDI
Golf Mk5 (1K1)
Hi

Thats a very good question, maybe the way the cypriots operate has somthing to do with it , being classed as "english" anything we say to them is ignored....hard to believe unless you actually experience it for yourself.

Asking for work to cease and to have my vehicle returned will fall on deaf ears as unless i bring a laywer into proceedings they will not return my vehicle to me, which is what will happen if i do not have it returned to me on friday, as i will have allowed them a reasonable time period to repair the vehicle, which they have failed to do, sadly its a male ego thing in cyprus, along the lines of "how very dare you even think of questioning my ability" and the mere fact that i considered to bring the problem on to a public forum to them is like "washing dirty secrets in public" they are not used to having someone stand up to them and publically question their ability.

But for the sake of matramonial harmony (my wife is greek) i was upto a point giving the techs much much more leeway than i would normally.

regards

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Does your car have electric steering, or does it still have hydraulic steering?

On one car I had to do the basic settings setup 3 or 4 times before it finally worked. I have no idea what I did wrong the first times.

Calvinx

TDI
Golf Mk5 (1K1)
Does your car have electric steering, or does it still have hydraulic steering?

On one car I had to do the basic settings setup 3 or 4 times before it finally worked. I have no idea what I did wrong the first times.
It has the electrically assisted steering rack with the motor and controller attached directly to the rack, i had undertaken the basic settings approx a dozen times, even trying resetting the rack to the centre point with the track rod ends off and then screwing all up with the wheels straight ahead to try to zero everything up, and then trying to undertake adaption again still no joy.

i have also continually requested a reason why the dealer thinks that the battery was installed incorrectly, and even asking what would have happend to the steering had the battery been installed incorrectly (which it was not) but to date i have received no answer to this either.

thanks to everyone for your input.

regards

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
A long shot, sometimes if immobilizer is not satisified, gateway (located in cluster) won't allow recoding, or other vagcom actions. I have seen cars with immo delete programmed in ecu while key is not aligned to cluster and immo LED can easily be lifted, so it won't illuminate, but car still runs fine. You could try to realign key to instruments and it could wiggle things to life, been there done it (where dealers couldn't w/o throwing parts at problems).

Wierd problem indeed.

Oem radio installed?

Sometimes if you disconnect other Canbus modules, one by one, you can break thru the can H/L communication problems. ie, ABS, Airbag, radio, TCM, etc.

Jeff

Last edited:

Kevinle

TDI
2010 tdi
I have same problem today after replay my battery, after I clear code it still not go away, I reset it again and start up engine turn the steering full left and full right until it hit stop and after that the light went away, hope this infor. Help some one got the same problem:)

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Update, I took the car for a very short ride, went around the culdsac full left turn and then full right turn. All warning lights are gone. Must be some sort of adaption that needs to happen and my first road test was not enough. Thank you. Hope this helps someone else in the future. mark