Starts and dies

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
About a month ago our BEW powered Jeep JKU would start and immediately die. Just turning the key back off and restarting was all that was needed for it to then run. It was intermittent and some mornings it would fire right up. Once it ran it was fine to start and stop the rest of the day. Then last week it started and died three times before it would keep running and then the rest of the week it would start and keep running no problem. Today it took 4 times to keep running. I pulled the fuel line one morning to check for fuel flow and it had lots when you cycle the key. If the glow plugs were not working would this happen or it would just smoke a lot and run bad to start with. Its getting down to about 40F at night here now.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
did you do an immobilizer delete? If you still had the factory dash, the immo light would be blinking after it shut down. Engine only runs for about 1 sec. my car does this intermittently. Uusally take 2-5 tries. The worst was about 20.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
The Jeep has been on the road for over 2 years and Malone did the tune including the Immob delete. This is the first issue its had.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Any chance she's losing prime while sitting? Maybe a loose loose hose on a fitting, just enough for a little air to work into the system?

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
The fuel prime was my first thought and so I had her cycel the key three times in the morning before starting for a week which should run the pump enough to get fuel to the engine but it still starts and dies. I thought it may be glow plugs because it only started this in the last month but this morning it was cold and started right up and did not die. I hope to get the Jeep from my kid on Tues and have a look at the Cam and Crank sensor outputs like jimbote suggested.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
If she's losing prime while sitting is cycling the key a few times going to push the air out that built up while sitting?

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Yea, the pump pushes a lot of fuel, I pulled the line to check. Also when I pulled the line a lot of fuel came from the engine side. It only sits overnight.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
So I changed the crank sensor three days ago and it started every morning since....till today. It was always intermittent so no change.
There was RPM showing in VCDS on G28. Where do I find G40, Cam sensor? Where do I find a list of what sensors show up in what blocks?

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
So I changed the crank sensor three days ago and it started every morning since....till today. It was always intermittent so no change.
There was RPM showing in VCDS on G28. Where do I find G40, Cam sensor? Where do I find a list of what sensors show up in what blocks?
were there any metal particles on the sensor tip? Click on the ecm part number "label file" and it will drop down a list of all the measuring blocks. Cam sensor should not cause a no-start on a BEW.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
probably not your issue but here goes.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Thanks jimbote, mine fires up on less than a crank revolution, idles for about 2 -3 seconds and dies. Usually the second start it fires instantly and then runs well the rest of the day. I thought fuel (siphoned back to the tank) but then once and a while it does the start and die thing 3-5 times before it continues to run. If it was out of fuel then I cant see it starting the 3-5 times, should fire the once and empty the tandem pump and then be hard to start after that. It runs well and pulls hard all the way up over 3500 RPM once it starts.
No fault codes in VCDS.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Does the BEW have a fuel ruturn line? If so can you put a clear hose from the return into a clear container, have a helper cycle the key and look for air bubbles

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Thanks jimbote, mine fires up on less than a crank revolution, idles for about 2 -3 seconds and dies. Usually the second start it fires instantly and then runs well the rest of the day. I thought fuel (siphoned back to the tank) but then once and a while it does the start and die thing 3-5 times before it continues to run. If it was out of fuel then I cant see it starting the 3-5 times, should fire the once and empty the tandem pump and then be hard to start after that. It runs well and pulls hard all the way up over 3500 RPM once it starts.
No fault codes in VCDS.
It does sound somewhat like a fuel starvation issue. I believe there's a factory check valve in line between the filter and tandem pump on the BEW. PickleRick has a good idea.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
It does sound somewhat like a fuel starvation issue. I believe there's a factory check valve in line between the filter and tandem pump on the BEW. PickleRick has a good idea.
I agree with this. Since you've verified no issues with air in the fuel system, double check your injectors and work backwards.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

I left you a pm but I'm not sure it worked so I am trying through here...
Thanks
Andrew

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I wanted to do a follow up. I hate it when you have a problem and find someone else had the same thing only they never post the solution.
Well...I don't have a solution. I had pulled the crank sensor and replaced it with a used one that I had as a spare. It ran crappy so I put the original back in. It started and did the usual die and then start right up again the first day after re installing the original sensor. For the last month it has been trouble free. So maybe a bad connection at the plug but they were clean. When (not if) the problem comes back I'll update.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I wanted to do a follow up. I hate it when you have a problem and find someone else had the same thing only they never post the solution.
Well...I don't have a solution. I had pulled the crank sensor and replaced it with a used one that I had as a spare. It ran crappy so I put the original back in. It started and did the usual die and then start right up again the first day after re installing the original sensor. For the last month it has been trouble free. So maybe a bad connection at the plug but they were clean. When (not if) the problem comes back I'll update.
if it starts acting up again i strongly encourage replacing with a new sensor.