Starting to swap Mk4 Jetta TDI into my MK4 Golf

KootneyTDi

TDI
ALH
Well I got the Jetta for free, PO did not take care of inside. I own a cummins so I love the diesel. I bought a 2.0 golf a year or so ago for $400 and put a bit into it. It was well maintained minus the headliner falling apart. So here I am I’m in the middle of pulling the TDI out. I’m removing all of the harness just in case, but I assumed you would have an engine harness and a body harness. Just by reading, nope. That being said I’ll get it all and do the swap as majority of the parts are interchangeable with different body styles. Few questions I have that remain is the fuel tank and pick up pump, wether I have to change that too. I have entire drive train including transmission so that’s simple. Lots is simple. The harness is my only confusion plus the mods I can get. I do plan to 2.5 straight pipe with an egr delete.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I'm thinking of doing the same with a gasser Golf i have sitting around; body's clean, have engine and wiring harness and tranny taking up space in the garage. I'm interested to hear how you make out with this, so please post updates as you move along.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Fuel tank can stay even thou I would remove it and give it a thorough cleaning. Nozzle/cap for gas pump you can change if you like. And the fuel pick up pump depends on your motor of choice. I am not 100% positive if you have to change the fuel lines, but I believe you have to.

Last edited:

KootneyTDi

TDI
ALH
At a glance the lines look identical and identically placed. Production thing IMO. It’s sucky how this forum doesn’t easily allow photos.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
At a glance the lines look identical and identically placed. Production thing IMO. It’s sucky how this forum doesn’t easily allow photos.
Use ImgBB.com to upload the picture from your phone, then out of the 4 copy&paste selections choose *BB FULL LINK* code and paste it on here.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
What about swapping the interiors and all the "stuff" you purchased off the 2.0 and just drive the jetta? Or is the body just as bad?

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Body and it’s a Jetta. 2.0 is a golf. Jetta has no registration.
Just my .02 cents... I would start out by removing EVERYTHING in the 2.0. Then install every part and piping/clips that can be reinstalled immediately as I take them off. Those oem clips are precious for a proper install mind the fact you don't break 'em 😣

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
I’m not sure what do you mean by gutting the golf just to reinstall.
It will make your life easier if you can install every part you take take off the Jetta immediately into the golf. In order to do that, you need to strip the golf first. Then as you take stuff off the jetta, you can install them right away into the golf.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Should be pretty straightforward then. Don't forget the fuel sender and do send us pics.

KootneyTDi

TDI
ALH
I’m also trying to figure out what communicates with the remote for the alarm function. I’m guessing the black box in the picture to the left of the steering column. Because I also don’t want to cut or splice anything I’m going to remove the entire harness. I will have a 2.0 for sale lol.

KootneyTDi

TDI
ALH
So far it’s been 4-5 hours removing dash and harness. I decided not to hack and slash because a guy is buying the remainder of the car off me and wanted as much available too him. My golf is going to be awesome as I’ll have to strip it down to and I’ll be able to clean the rug and send the headliner out. It’s already a nice clean car minus the headliner but with stripping it down I can get a good clean of some surfaces that otherwise get missed.

KootneyTDi

TDI
ALH
So all that’s left on harness removal is from abs and to pass through the engine bay pieces through the firewall. It will be interesting to see what I’ll need from it.

fuel tank on 2.0 has 4 fuel lines. Fuel tank on TDI has 2. So I’ll be pulling the pickup pump too.
I’m still trying to figure out which part is the brain to the alarm as I’ll need to keep that from my golf.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I diesel swapped a jetta that originally had a 2.0, it would be a bit different, since the car I did was a mk3 and put a 1.6td engine in it, but one of the things that you'll have to watch for, is that some of the gassers used a fuel accumulator, I think under the rear seat(?) You'll have to remove that.
The alarm will depend on the year of vehicle. The 1999-2001 were immo2 and they had the immobilizer run through the instrument cluster, the 2002-2006 were immo3 and had a separate module, as well as the cluster. If you look in the mk4 sub section, there's a thread about a program that one of the club members made and put out for free, you can do some of the programming for the ccm, instrument cluster and now in the edc15 ecm. He's constantly updating it. I've used it several times for my cars.
I've wanted to do the swap you're doing, probably on a wagon, since a gasser is a lot cheaper. (Got one for $500 last year!)

superduty_59

TDI
2001 Beetle TDI GLS 5sp, 2005.5 Jetta TDI DSG, 2006Jetta TDI DSG, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2012 JSW TDI DSG, 2015 Passat SE 6MT TDI
My son and I want to do a similar swap. It's a 2006 BRM DSG with lots of upgrades but body has dents and very rusty rockers. I have seen several gassers not running but very good condition cheap. In my mind a lot would be the same just engine/trans and harness. I know others have asked questions about this kind of swap and you usually get the standard (easier to sell and find one in better shape) response. My other son wants a Golf TDI but harder to find here for cheap. Thought about doing your Jetta to Golf swap. I am definitely interested in more info especially items that are TDI specific and needs changed. Or even things that doesn't need changed. Hopefully these cars have a engine harness and separate body harness. Good luck and keep us posted on progress.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
So all that’s left on harness removal is from abs..
I pulled the full harness in one piece (02' jetta donor) down to the abs sensors and it was fairly easier than expected because most people on the internet claimed it would have to be cut. Though my mk2 does not have abs and I may have to live with an abs light on with the mk4 dash/cluster swap.

Last edited: