Starter trouble ahead?

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
I have noticed a few times in the mornings at the first start of the day especially when temperatures are low that when i turn the key there is a short delay before the starter kicks in. Is something sticking in the starter?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
If this were happening to me, the first thing I would do is check the battery - get it load tested. Actually, the first thing would be to check the wiring from the battery to the starter as well as to ground. Then load test. I would think that if it were the starter you'd have more problems with it warm than cold.

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
rdkern said:
If this were happening to me, the first thing I would do is check the battery - get it load tested.
The starter isn't sluggish and lots of power once it spins and fires the engine up straight away so i'm thinking the battery may be ok.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Starter solenoid may be sticking, it's happened before and it's easy to fix, just take the starter motor out and give it to a local auto electric place for an overhaul (or if you know about these things, clean it up yourself).

Technoguppy

TDI
1997 Golf
I've had a similar issue with my car not starting...

Turn the ignition, let the glow plugs warm up, turn the key and "click", nothing. A boost does not solve the issue, and if I try it repeatedly, kicking and screaming at it, it works. When I try without the clutch, no click, which tells me it's not the clutch relay.

Is it likely to be the starter itself or the solenoid? My guess is that if I am hearing the "click" then it's probably not the solenoid (maybe it's not making a good contact?), but the fact that I get no turn-over at all, suggests it's not the starter either.

Any one?

Technoguppy

TDI
1997 Golf
It was the starter!! Simple clues were that when I turned the ignition on I got lights and signals, if I didn't it would have pointed to the ignition switch.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Just out of curiosity, did you clean and tighten the power wire from the battery to the starter before replacement?