starter placement

Ranch

TDI
ALH
Ok, I don't have in my possession an actual Tdi, but some of you probably know by now I'm gathering info, ideas, on a swap into my 94 yota. reading what works, and also what doesn't.

Thanks to all the guys who have chipped in so far! ;)

As of today, I've been pretty wrapped up on the dealings on the passenger side of the engine... you know, turbo/downpipe and starter clearance for one.
Is there room for a starter on the other side of the block? Like I said, I am not to familiar yet with the layout.
I got a lead on a custom bell builder, and if it would help, might as well put the starter on the cold side.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
problem with running starter on the driver's side is clearance with the filter housing ... clearance issue on the passenger side is really a non issue... you can either get a clockable starter, run a higher mount turbo, or add a tab to the bellhousing and run a 3RZ 2kw starter.... this last is what i did along with a BHW manifold and i have zero clearance issues... on that note, if you're going to get a custom bell housing made, which transmission are you gonna make it for? the R150 with a W56 ?

Ranch

TDI
ALH
Good point Jim. Yah, that was just off the cuff thoughts about repositioning the starter. Soon as I hit 'post reply' I remembered that filter housing in the pics

Since this would be built for our specs, incorporating that 'tabbed' idea right off the bat into the new mold would probably be the way.

running a chevy 153 tooth flywheel, and a 'mini starter' combo is also a possibility. The bell needs to be specifically set up for one or the other.

Good question on which transmission. For me and this project, I thought to keep the original W56.
The R150 is rated at almost 100 HP more capacity Which ideally should be a longer term item. (better matched so to speak) Longevity of married parts is a factor. I believe I've seen 150 HP rating for the W56, and about 250 for the R 150's.
Another thing is, Just how many yotas running the w56 still running, which haven't already been 'restored, upgraded'? Maybe building a bell for the newer 150 generation would be more prudent??
LOL, maybe I need to re consider my choice in transmissions on my own project!

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
I used a V6 Toyota starter, used the existing bottom hole and had to modify the top bolt hole by welding on a new chunk of aluminum and re-drilling.I elongated the hole for adjustment. gave it .018 clearance. Working great.

Last edited:

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
If you run the exhaust behind the head that will keep the heat away from the starter. Either way you go, wrapping it also helps.