Starter fault

Graysen

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Good day all, first post but I have been browsing forum since I bought my 2015 golf TDI back in October.

Few times now I have had issues starting car, I will get click sound like the starter is throwing out the gear but not turning. Before I order a starter should I check anything?

I have photo of VCDS print out. Just trying to attach it

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Yes, this is the wrong section for the question, but probably can get one of the admins to move it for you.
So, from what you describe, it does start sometimes, but sometimes doesn't?
It does sound a lot like the starter failing, though I would make sure your battery cables are in good condition and the battery tests good.
Is your golf an automatic or manual?

Graysen

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Car is manual. I tried starting it yesterd and it sounded like it arced, so i was thinking power cable. I pulled the power cable and inspected last night looks in good shape so it must be the starter?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Since the car is a stick, if it is on level ground, put it in 3rd gear, release the parking brake, and see if you can push it forward a couple feet, just enough to make sure the engine is not locked up for whatever reason. If you cannot go forward, you can try the same thing in reverse, but it may be a bit harder.

Otherwise, get a socket/ratchet and try moving it manually from the front of the engine.

FYI, twice now I've had CRUA engines at the shop here that were hydrolocking overnight on their own coolant. Some breach inside the engine, not sure what it specifically is.

But here's another one that happened recently and no answer from the OP yet:

2015 TDI sportwagen automatic No crank No start | TDIClub Forums

I hope it isn't a trend with the EA288 engines. :(

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Car is manual. I tried starting it yesterd and it sounded like it arced, so i was thinking power cable. I pulled the power cable and inspected last night looks in good shape so it must be the starter?
I would check what oilhammer mentioned, but I have seen a few of these starters failing. I do have a remanufactured one in stock if that is what the issue is. I finally traced down all the oem pieces to remanufacture these ones.
The 2015 manual is the hardest one to find the starters for, as its a one year only.

Graysen

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Yeah I noticed, I tried calling around and looking online everything seems to be for DSG. I found 1 shop we can get me one for $600. We have a shop close by that rebuilds starters and alternators so i will take it there with hopes they can fix it cheaper.

Just to confirm I bench tested the starter and she is toast. Throws it out but won't spin.

pedroYUL

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW(brother)
I would go with a Mozambiquer reman with my eyes closed

Mozambiquer

TDI
Yeah I noticed, I tried calling around and looking online everything seems to be for DSG. I found 1 shop we can get me one for $600. We have a shop close by that rebuilds starters and alternators so i will take it there with hopes they can fix it cheaper.

Just to confirm I bench tested the starter and she is toast. Throws it out but won't spin.
Yikes! Mine is $215 with a 5 year warranty.
Or I can get an oem one, though it'll be a little while until I get it in. Last I got one, it was right around $295 or so.

Graysen

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Once I pay exchange rate and shipping I'll be close to $500 the I could get nailed with import fees

pedroYUL

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Once I pay exchange rate and shipping I'll be close to $500 the I could get nailed with import fees
Then, if you're handy, just buy the reman parts from Moz. Those small parts will likely fly under the radar

Mozambiquer

TDI
Ah yeah canukistan... I've shipped plenty there. I actually have it on ebay which has the ebay shipping program that makes it cheaper and faster for the shipping.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Ottawa is smack-dab in the middle of Canada ;)
Yes, this Missourian knows that.... didn't appear a certain Ottawan knows where Missouri is. We learned about Canadian geography in grade school, but maybe you guys didn't learn about American geography. Hey, at least you embraced the Metric system, we seem to have lost the battle there. :(

Graysen

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Yes, this Missourian knows that.... didn't appear a certain Ottawan knows where Missouri is. We learned about Canadian geography in grade school, but maybe you guys didn't learn about American geography. Hey, at least you embraced the Metric system, we seem to have lost the battle there. :(
I answered before looking at their location and you answered at the same time as I edited it lol

Graysen

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Got starter fixed. Shop said it was bit of rust and corrosion, he cleaned it, greased it and put her back together. He did mention the brushes were getting low and he can't get them. @Mozambiquer what do you charge for a set?

The Cream Dolphin

Veteran Member
TDI
02 VW Golf TDI ALH 245k
As a fellow Canadian who knows the trouble of shipping... I ordered parts for my starter from moƶambiquer, and I would not look anywhere else to order again. Great service, unreal price, it came in a small box to save shipping, duties were inexpensive, I had an issue so I called him as I was putting it back together, 10̷/10̷ for sure and wow what a difference it made turning the key. Glad your mechanic got it running, and I guess he suggested new parts so I think you are already on the right track asking moƶambiquer, but I just thought I would add my .0̷2.

Also @Mozambiquer since you switched your photo to your Touareg I miss seeing the other canoe on the icons!

Mozambiquer

TDI
Got starter fixed. Shop said it was bit of rust and corrosion, he cleaned it, greased it and put her back together. He did mention the brushes were getting low and he can't get them. @Mozambiquer what do you charge for a set?
I've got new oem sets, they are $15 plus shipping for the set.

Mozambiquer

TDI
As a fellow Canadian who knows the trouble of shipping... I ordered parts for my starter from moƶambiquer, and I would not look anywhere else to order again. Great service, unreal price, it came in a small box to save shipping, duties were inexpensive, I had an issue so I called him as I was putting it back together, 10̷/10̷ for sure and wow what a difference it made turning the key. Glad your mechanic got it running, and I guess he suggested new parts so I think you are already on the right track asking moƶambiquer, but I just thought I would add my .0̷2.

Also @Mozambiquer since you switched your photo to your Touareg I miss seeing the other canoe on the icons!
Yeah, I sometimes kinda miss the bunny truck profile photo too... I've still got that truck, but it sits behind my house waiting until it gets to its turn.

pedroYUL

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Guess what? Went to inspect/clean/lubricate the starter in my wife's '15 GSW, and like a dummy I let the springs go fly.

I did find 3, and had to fabricate the 4th, but I just sent @Mozambiquer a PM for a brushes set.