Standheizungen, OEMoption to ESPAR heating system!

Kennedy

Veteran Member
From Dan at Hillside, found on the Vortex... Sure wish I had one of these right now. This looks like the best option ever for those who live in colder climates.

Hillside Imports is bringing Standheizungen to the US (Factory OEM Option offer from VW and Audi). A basic translation is Parking Heater. The is a really cool unit that is offered as an option in Germany and most of the world. I had it on the Phaeton this last December in Germany, The unit is really handy you can set warm up times at different times of the day in which a small furnace which runs off the cars fuel system is switched on. This unit when switched on preheats engine coolent and circulates through the engine block and heater core and when the coolent reaches a certian temp. the HVAC fan in side the car is switched on and heat the entire car inside.. very nice for cold weather because is also defrosts all the windows also, another nice point of it as it works on manuals just as easy as it does on automatic because the unit does not start the engine. There are a few options that you can add to the unit one is the options Remote control which works up to 600M away from the car, the option is call Thermo Call, this is where you can phone your car and schedule a time you want the unit to switch on and preheat the car.
I will tell you this is the best and most functional feature I have ever used on a car. Once you have the unit you will not want to be without it.

If you have anymore questions on this unit you can phone the shop here at 1-877-581-8204 or email me at dgrayson@hillsideimports.com.

Here is a picture of the unit which installs in the engine compartment.

[image]http://home.comcast.net/~fligti/Golf_Pics/Standheizungen.jpg
[/image]

Here is the picture of Remote for the unit.

Works from 600M away when you press the on button a red light will light up on the remote once the car has received the signal it will send a reply and the green light will light up telling you the car had started the warm up cycle.

Dan@Hillside Imports
4402 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy
Portland, OR 97221-3660
1 877-581-8204
HillsideImports.com
dgrayson@hillsideimports.com

DougFromMaine

TDI
'15 Golf Sportwagen TDI (Diesels but not TDIs: '82 VW Vanagon Wesfalia 1.6TD, '86 VW Transporter Single Cab 1.9TD)
This dealer is in Portland , OR. So why would someone need one of these in Portland Oregon? /images/graemlins/smile.gif Portland Maine maybe!

Here's an earlier thread regarding this. I'd absolutely love to have one of these myself - it would make winter so much more bearable, especially the last month when we've had so many sub-zero days. And so much better than messing around with a wired block heater. Really, a plug-in is fine at home in the morning, but what about when you leave work at 6PM and it's still below zero and it's been there all day? This would be perfect. But. For $1,000+ US, shivering for the first few miles of the trip might be better deal financially.

You also might want to check out the following company webistes - Espar, Webasto.

However... If anyone has any bright ideas on how to get these kits at lower cost - group buy? - maybe there might be some interest..

PS. Where'd you find this on Vortex?

Cheers,
Doug
Freeport, ME

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
You found the one gizmo that Eric didn't get around to installing! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Thats amazing! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

So.... When is the GTG to see you install this gizmo? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
If I could source it a bit cheaper, I would definately consider it...

[/ QUOTE ]

So would I. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Where is Lito when you need him? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

I am not getting this heater....

one more time,

L

DougFromMaine

TDI
'15 Golf Sportwagen TDI (Diesels but not TDIs: '82 VW Vanagon Wesfalia 1.6TD, '86 VW Transporter Single Cab 1.9TD)
Ahhh. Looking at the Vortex post, the price is $750-890 (or more), depending on accessories. That's not as bad as I was thinking - I was figuring $1,200 at least once you were all done. And if that price buys a kit specifically for a particular vehicle, with mounting brackets, wiring instructions, etc., even better. Definitely a luxury item, but I'm thinking <font color="green">tax refund</font> too!

Note that these are only similar to the heaters in the old air-cooled VW's. Those were Ebershacher heaters and they drew fuel directly from the vehicle tank to power the heater, which heated air and blew it into the cabin. Eberspacher is now called Espar here in North America. They still make the air heaters, as does their competitor Webasto. However, the heaters being discussed here are different in that they heat and circulate the vehicle's engine coolant rather than cabin air - the added benefit being that they warm the engine also.

A little known fact: these coolant heaters (an earlier model - BBW46) were available on VW Vanagons sold in Canada through '91. See this link for some good pics of the unit installed.

Now if they only had a tiny alternator to charge the battery, you could just leave them running almost continuously!

Cheers,
Doug
Freeport, ME

Kennedy

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]

one more time,

L

[/ QUOTE ]

Baby is coming...
Baby is coming...
Baby is coming...
Babies like to be warm, do'h... dammit.
Baby is coming...

I'm losing too.
This weather makes it easier and easier to justify.

BTW, Dan sez any dealer in Germany can get these for us...
Think a call to Chad may be in order?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
member boucanier has this setup or one very similar. It is REALLY NEAT! It also works really well. I'd love to get it, but I think I'll wait till my next tdi. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
[ QUOTE ]

one more time,

L

[/ QUOTE ]

You know you want it... /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
MCA (me too)

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
The Espar can be run for extra cabin heat when sitting in traffic on the way to work.

I'd go for it if the price was right.

Someone set up a groupbuy?? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

DougFromMaine

TDI
Where is the control unit for this typically mounted on the Golf/Jetta? I was sitting in my car looking for a few square inches of dashboard real estate, and there ain't much. Maybe below the headlight switch? But that would technically interfere with the knee bolster, which is a safety feature. Sunroof access panel? Somewhere on the center console? Anyone?

- Doug
Freeport, ME

cdu

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
Where is the control unit for this typically mounted on the Golf/Jetta? I was sitting in my car looking for a few square inches of dashboard real estate, and there ain't much. Maybe below the headlight switch? But that would technically interfere with the knee bolster, which is a safety feature. Sunroof access panel? Somewhere on the center console? Anyone?

- Doug
Freeport, ME

[/ QUOTE ]

It sits in the engine bay, attaches to the coolant lines, battery, and fuel lines. It uses fuel to heat the coolant and circulates it around the system. It will heat the inside of the car by way of the coolant in heater core. If this thing generated electricity (instead of drawing it) it would be able to keep the battery charged and the car would be perfectly winter proof, so long as you keep it fueled.

How many days would it run on a full tank with ambient temperatures well below zero? How much load does it put on the battery? Does it generate CO so it would turn an unheated but closed garage into a gas chamber?
chris

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Ramon,

Man..give me some time. Chris, we need part numbers

L

[/ QUOTE ]

Group Buy!
Group Buy!
Group Buy!
Group Buy!
Group Buy!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DougFromMaine

TDI
CDU writes:[ QUOTE ]
It sits in the engine bay, attaches to the coolant lines, battery, and fuel lines....

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, you're correct that the heater and plumbing sits under the hood, however there is a small control unit, similar to the little wired controller an add-on CD changer might have, which you use to turn the heater on and off, and to set the timer to turn it on and off up to three times per day automatically. This is what it looks like.
[ QUOTE ]
How many days would it run....? How much load does it put on the battery...?

[/ QUOTE ]
See the vortex thread - Dan provides the fuel consumption and current draw specifications.
[ QUOTE ]
Does it generate CO so it would turn an unheated but closed garage into a gas chamber?

[/ QUOTE ]
There is a short 1" dia. stainless steel exhaust pipe that gets routed from the heater exhaust port to someplace outside the engine compartment. However, it burns the same diesel that's in your tank, so yes, it produces toxic exhaust and no, you should not run it in an enclosed garage.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I emailed an Espar dealer here in Montreal, and was quoted $1500 cdn plus about 600 cdn for installation!!

This is for the smallest model, the D4W, no remote, and no cell phone starting either. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Mtltdi, go on the Quebec forum. We recently had a group but on Espars. Was around $1200.00. Contact jeangreg he has contacts in Winnipeg to get them cheaper.
The Montreal guys have get togethers every tuesday night. You should come sometime. See the Quebec forum for details.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I asked the Transartik guy in Longueuil about volume pricing, he told me to call him when I want to buy 100 of them...as if I'd ever buy from someone with an attitude like that. I'll see what happens for next winter I guess. I just put HID's on the Golf and have a High pixel cluster sitting hidden in a room, so mods will have to wait a while. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GSXR600

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
I have found the Whole kit for the 90ps BORA of here. I will have prices later this week I also have the part #'s for the whole install kit straight from VW Germany

Kennedy

Veteran Member
/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I assume by whole system you mean the "remote fob, $300+ option" and the "telephone response $300+ option" included in the kit.

Dan at Hillside is offering these for it looks like around $800...

Why such a price differnce?

How much for the base model

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I'm on the phone with Dan now...there is no way this unit is coming under $1000.00.

He's going to post something up on the Vortex. The prices vary per vehicle, tranmission and engine code.

The heating unit alone is $600. Add to that the installation kit, fuel kit and you've broken the $1000 threshold.

Chad's price seems right on target. Ouch. /images/graemlins/eek.gif

L

DougFromMaine

TDI
Aawww shoot. I was all ready to go @ $750. That's too bad. I guess if it seems too good to be true, it often is!

Well, I have a $315 solution:
1 TDIHeater $100
1 1500 Watt Voltage Inverter $200
1 HD Lamp Timer $15

Plug the TDIHeater into the timer, plug the timer into the inverter, hook the inverter to the battery... Presto, you've got yourself a parking heater! /images/graemlins/grin.gif yes, I'm kidding

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
Dangit! I've got just about 800 bucks scraped together, and that's all I can come up with. I REALLY REALLY want one of these doggone things!