Standheizung Supplement Install Instructions

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
So,

I just finished these supplement instructions. I plan on putting an entire set together once I get digital images of the original documents.

PDF

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
Dangit, I've been happily ignoring this device ever since I saw the first threats by Dan to supply a kit. You're not helping me by installing one and then reminding me once in a while how cool it is to have one!
I do not want a Standheizung.

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
Couldn't you at least tell us all that it's not worth it? That it's not that cool after all? That you wish you'd never seen one? That you're taking yours off and selling it cheap?

Very nice write-up, by the way.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, There are several BACK URL's that I just found don't send you back. I will fix it when I get home. Don't have the document here.

This document is meant to supplement the Original Instructions provided. The instructions are in German and you need to translate them and interpret the pictures.

Having gone through the installation, I have included some tips and things I picked up along the way. There are additional pictures like routing of the fuel line underneath the car from the fuel tank to the rear pump which I still have to take and will include later.

Lito

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I'd put one of these in if I could afford it. They should come standard!

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I do not want a... DOH!

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
[ QUOTE ]
It's a Parking Heater. Detail here!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, my. I want one.

Weren't these popular in Euro G-Wagens? I remember seeing these on imported G320s and 500s on Europa's website. Hmmm....wonder if my parts guy can get me this for wholesale...

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
This is something I want to see at Impex...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'll either have to take the bumper off or bring a mirror to lay on the ground. Maybe I can put the tire up on a jack stand /images/graemlins/grin.gif

This is also an option on the GOLF V.

L

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
ARBY:

These (or one very similar to it) are standard on the "Sprinters" that Mercedez makes and are imported by Freightliner and Dodge. They are powered by the 5 cyl. M-B Turbo diesel. FedEx are using them for home delivery.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
i'd love to get the coolant hoses so that i could connect a zerostart to our gaser and have it look pretty much stock.

geon116

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat GLS Wagon, Silverstone
I was looking forward to the standeizung, but after my conversation with Dan I don't think I'll be getting one. It sounds like it's around 2K just for the parts. I was prepared to drop $1500, but 2K plus looks like it's not going to happen. I mentioned biodiesel and I got a strong feeling Dan wasn't a biodiesel advocate, especially for the new PDs. I'll wait and seee if they come up with a tdiheater. My wife is cold-blooded, the type that warms her car up for 20 minutes before she off to work. I've got to have heat for her. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
I'll wait and seee if they come up with a tdiheater.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Standheizung IS the OEM TDI heater for the GOLF V.

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
I'd almost forgotten about the doggone thing, but now that winter's here, I suppose I'll be subjected to you telling me how nifty it is. Dangit!
See my earlier post.
I do not want a Standheizung...

schultzy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI PD, 2004, Reflex Silver/Grey Velour
Did you fire this thing up yet? I was discussing it with a co-worker this morning. He doesn't have heated seats and I mentioned that he might want to ddo this parking heater as an upgrade

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not yet, but I've tested it before so I know it works. It's just not that cold yet to justify heating up the car.

Once it gets below freezing at night consistently, then I'll probably use it more often.

L

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just an update:

I've started using the heater as it's gotten cold enough for me to justify it. So far, with only 15 minutes of operation I'm able to get hot air from the fan right away. Enough to melt frost on the windshield.

30 minutes I'm sure would have me up close to operating temperature but I haven't tried it for that long.

I would like to add the timer feature next season as I think that would be handy to have as well. The remote, despite having a 600M range still needs decent line-of-site in order to communicate with the antennae.

Of course all the benefits apply here with a smoother running engine on startup, easy shifting. The car also gets a jump start on getting to operating temperature.

Very happy with this heater! The car heater sounds like the Batmobile

PS Shultzy, let me know if your co-worker decides to install one. If he's close I may be able to provide some technical assistance.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Could this run for "X" amount of time in a closed garage? I've had my kerosene heater on for quite a while (timing belt... ooops coming up again in 3k miles
) .

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Robert,

now there's an idea...

Karl, you're not supposed to run it in an enclosed space. So If I ever did have a garage, I'd hook up an exhaust fan or something just to be safe.

L

schultzy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI PD, 2004, Reflex Silver/Grey Velour
I'll bet the timer option would be a great addition. Just "set it, and forget it!" A'la Ronco.

Hell with the co-worker, I may hit you up for some technical assistance installing ESP in my '04 Golf....

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I left work this evening, it was 10dF and dropping. As it took 20 miles on the highway to get any serious amount of heat out of this beast I kept repeating.

PDF has been downloaded.. but

The thought of having a warm car, that started easy, with a warm steering wheel... from the start. HMMMMM
Where do I get pricing on this?? Oh yea, that's right... I do not want a Standheizung!!

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver

The thought of having a warm car, that started easy, with a warm steering wheel... from the start. HMMMMM
Where do I get pricing on this?? Oh yea, that's right... I do not want a Standheizung!!
What he said!!

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black

What he said!!
Gern et all,
One day last week when I got out of work, at 8:00pm, it was freezing rain.
I spent 20 minutes in the cold, dark, wet, scraping the ice off the windows only to have the ones I did originally ice over again.
I decided this is for the birds and I HAVE to get me one of these. I just got off the phone with Dan, seems with the price of the Euro and all the kits to go with it, the cost of doing this now is over $2100.oo!!

I want one, but not THAT bad.