standard guys... do you leave it in 1st when parked? or neutral + ebrake?

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
just wondering what the common thing to do is in a standard vehicle.

do you put it in first gear, turn engine off, then let clutch out + ebrake.

or do you put it in neutral, e brake on, then engine off?

had someone drive my car and leave it in first when they turned it off... I usually hop in, press clutch, start car, and release clutch quickly to let it idle.. normally its in neutral so thats fine, but that time I didnt notice he had it in first, so when I started and let the clutch out quick the car jumped and stalled.. not good.

Last edited:

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I leave it in first [or reverse if parked nose up on a hill] and use the brake most times.

tat2

TDI
1999.5 jetta tdi black. 2014 jetta tdi black
I always park put it in second engine off and I am on my way. if I happen to be on a nice incline/decline I will use the parking brake but my area is pretty flat so that doesn't happen to often.

Last edited:

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I pretty much always leave it in first or reverse, set the parking brake. Since the parking brake froze up this winter I've stopped using it, so I just leave in 1st or reverse. I generally park on flat ground though; these days I will push the clutch in, make sure it doesn't want to roll, then let the clutch out.

In my automatic I will set the parking brake, shift to neutral, make sure it doesn't roll, then engage park. But that tends to get parked on an incline. On flat ground I get lazy and just put into park.

Used to be, rule of thumb, use the parking brake year round. OR never use it. Mr Murphy being what he is, it'll freeze up at the worst time. Although up here yearly inspection means bad cables have to be replaced.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Old-school procedure was to always leave it in reverse, just in case the car was bumped by another... no synchronizers to be damaged on the reverse gear...

That said, regular use of the parking brake is also encouraged...

Yuri

Marc_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Parking on level ground, in first gear w/parking brake engaged.
But after reading about the damage to synchros I put it in reverse from now on.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
Always reverse with parking brake engaged. For no reason other than that's what my dad taught me to do forty-some years ago when he was teaching me to drive.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
E-Brake pulled up always, flat ground or facing uphill - 1st gear, facing downhill - reverse.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Damage in syncros? That is a new one to me. Can someone explain? I'd think a bump that could damage syncros but not straight cut gears would... still do a number on the car. Plus, at rest the syncros are fully engaged.

?

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Damage in syncros? That is a new one to me. Can someone explain? I'd think a bump that could damage syncros but not straight cut gears would... still do a number on the car. Plus, at rest the syncros are fully engaged.

?
Curious minds want to know!

Always in first, no e-brake. Hills, wheels cut into curbing. Maybe e-brake.
45 years, haven't lost a tranny or syncro yet.

frank

Das

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Jetta GLS TDI sold377k , 2012 black A3 TDI wagon
Brake on and 1st or reverse depending on tilt

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Best thing to do on manual is always to use ebrake and if on a hill then put in gear as well. This will prevent from vehicle rolling down street in case if either parking brake fails or pops out of gear. On older cars when you have a lot of miles the gears & synchro, as well linkage are worn out/loose enough that can easily pop out of gear under either cars weight downhill or bumped in slightly. So to prevent it use both E-brake and gear, using ebrake always will keep rear calipers and cables healthy and last longer then if not used, then in that emergency situation you pull on it and it seizes up or fails to engage.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Always 1rst and I will set the parking brake if on an incline. In freezing weather, I do not set the parking brake.

IDK how a syncro could be damaged if the transmission is left fully engaged in a forward gear and the car is bumped. As a WAG, I would have to say this myth is not plausible unless someone can explain otherwise.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
When I had a manual I did first gear and e break.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Always 1rst and I will set the parking brake if on an incline. In freezing weather, I do not set the parking brake.

IDK how a syncro could be damaged if the transmission is left fully engaged in a forward gear and the car is bumped. As a WAG, I would have to say this myth is not plausible unless someone can explain otherwise.
I don't know about trans damage but the way I heard it was:
if you are parked facing up hill in first gear and somehow through accident , equipment failure or misadventure, the car was pushed backwards against the transmission; it would cause the engine to be rotated backwards and thus doing possible harm to some engine components i.e: timing belt circuit.
The same would go for parking in reverse with the front facing down hill.

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Parking brake and 1st gear, like I was taught 40 years ago from my dad, in a '64 Beetle :) . I might use reverse in certain situations.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Always reverse in the 'burbs. And I only set the brake on hills and when parallel parking in the city, where I use the brake and leave it in neutral in case it gets pushed.

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
No concern for the engine starting if it's bumped while in gear? I remember that warning a long time ago and it may not apply to a more modern car but in the good old days I was taught it was a possibility although a rare one. I don't know what sequence of bad luck it would take to happen on a more modern car but...".

Last edited:

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold 2014 Jetta back to VW in 2016. In Oct 2020 Bought 2015 Passat TDI SE CPO
I had a situation last winter. We had an freezing ice the parking lot at work was iced over. Parking lot is on a hill. I parked as normal. In 1st with hand brake. Toyota Four Runner parked next to me. My car stayed where is was, because all both front and rear were holding it. Four Runner slid half way down the hill. About a full car length behind mine.

I always park in gear and use hand brake.

YMMV

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
I guess I'm the odd man out here because I always leave it in neutral and use the handbrake, and then only enough to keep it from rolling. Of course, its parked in the garage 90% of the time and even when I'm out, we have very few hills in the DFW area of Texas.

I also do it because I've discovered that my car starts just fine without putting in the clutch first and I would hate to see an electrical short make a new door in the back of my garage one day. And yes, that happened to a friend of mine. His van's starter shorted out one night and it backed itself out of his driveway and into the street.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
99% of the time i leave in neutral and use hand-brake only. i also have the press-clutch to start disabled, so unless i'm parked on a hill (rarely) i never put it in gear when parked. less wear and tear, easier, less fussing :)