squeaky door straps?

schnabba

Veteran Member
TDI
golf GLS 2001 white
I think they are referring to the base of the grease - like the heavy duty lithium or sodium based greases.

I find these messy for things like door jambs, and was just using a PFTE based grease (teflon is the trademarked name by DuPont for PFTE).

I get it at radio shack. ARCHER brand household grease When is the last time you saw archer brand? HAHAHAA!!

Good stuff - same stuff we use on the rails for the rack mount servers in the data center here - not as tacky so it doesn't attract dust, and it is clear, so it doesn't stain and get all over everything. Also, since it isn't as tacky, it stays where you put it, doesn't smear all over everything.

Good for the sunroof, and seat rails too!

A close second would be that waterproof grease they sell at the bicycle shops for bottom brackets and wheel bearings. It's good stuff too. Stays put once you put it on. The only negatives is that this stuff has a stronger grease odor than the archer stuff, and the bicycle version will stain clothing (not good for door jambs - show up late for a meeting with a big grease stain down the arm of a nice dress shirt! rocking!)

[ June 21, 2002, 17:55: Message edited by: schnabba ]

kecart

TDI
this and that...
Hi there,

My doors are squeaky, and Bently says I should use a lithium grease to lubricate.

Now I've got a spray can of *white* lithium grease that I used to lubricate a sunroof in an SVX (it didn't work very well).

What's the best thing to use? Does anybody have a partnumber or anything? Hopefully I can get it at Schucks or Napa.

Thanks!

kecart

TDI
this and that...
Okay, so I got some of that stuff you mentioned, and I lubed up all over the 3 little rollers the door spring touches to keep it from flying open and closed. Additionally, I did all the hinges with white lithium grease (which somebody suggested from another link I found), but I still can't get it to stop squeaking. I think it's coming from the contact with the spring and the rollers but it's hard to tell for sure.

Has anybody else had this problem? More tips please?

Thanks!!

schnabba

Veteran Member
TDI
golf GLS 2001 white
make sure you lube the latch itself. Move it back and forth with a screwdriver to get the grease down in the mechanism.... make sure you get it on both sides of the flat face of the latch...