squeaking noise wont go away, help please

Tvizzy

TDI
2003 vw Jetta tdi
ok so a couple months ago a squeaking noise started and so i looked under the hood and the tensioner shock was blown out. boot was flapping all around. it sounded like it was coming from there. so i looked up the part and some advice and i changed the alternator, the idler pulley, and the tensioner and the squeaking is still there. any suggestions?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Remove the serpentine belt, start the car and see if the noise is still present. If it is then it’s in the timing belt path and one of those components is failing. If that’s the case I would suggest an immediate timing belt replacement with all the components.

If the noise is gone spin the various pulleys by hand in the serpentine belt path and see which make noise. I had a squeak in my serpentine path that I couldn’t find also, I spun pulleys and replaced the alternator pulley and still had that squeak, finally I replaced the serpentine belt and that solved my squeak.

Tvizzy

TDI
2003 vw Jetta tdi
it’s a new belt. But I’ll try doing that tonight after work. Car has 218k and I’m not sure if anyone ever serviced this vehicle regularly so I’m sure it needs a timing belt and components. Thats my next task is timing belt kit.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If you find the squeak is in the timing belt path I would stop driving it until a complete timing belt kit has been installed.

Tvizzy

TDI
2003 vw Jetta tdi
If you find the squeak is in the timing belt path I would stop driving it until a complete timing belt kit has been installed.

alright. I’ll check it right away today after work. I’ve never done a timing chain but I’m sure it can’t be too hard to figure out with a book and a few videos and of course all the proper tools.
So with 218k miles on it and not sure if previous owners have changed it would you recommend the high miles kit?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The high mileage kit includes 1. a serpentine belt tensioner, have you replaced yours recently? 2. An intake manifold gasket kit, has your intake already been cleaned? 3. A thermostat and housing, I would recommend an OEM thermostat which is more money ($45ish) and not what the kit includes. Everything else is the same as the regular kit.

Here's the belt procedure, click the download button in the upper right corner.

Tvizzy

TDI
2003 vw Jetta tdi
The high mileage kit includes 1. a serpentine belt tensioner, have you replaced yours recently? 2. An intake manifold gasket kit, has your intake already been cleaned? 3. A thermostat and housing, I would recommend an OEM thermostat which is more money ($45ish) and not what the kit includes. Everything else is the same as the regular kit.

Here's the belt procedure, click the download button in the upper right corner.

So I stopped at the in-laws for a couple hours and before I **** down the engine I noticed the noise was gone. Hmm so couple hours gonna go home and started the car and by this time it’s cooled down and the noise is there. It seems to go away after bein warmed up.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sometimes belt debris gets on the back of a roller in the timing belt system and causes a squeaking, or "shush shush" sound when the engine is cold. It usually goes away when it's warm. That could be what you're hearing. It doesn't necessarily mean you need to change the timing belt, but it does usually happen near the end of the belt's service interval. If you haven't changed the belt or don't know when it was changed, I'd do that service sooner rather than later.

Tvizzy

TDI
2003 vw Jetta tdi
Sometimes belt debris gets on the back of a roller in the timing belt system and causes a squeaking, or "shush shush" sound when the engine is cold. It usually goes away when it's warm. That could be what you're hearing. It doesn't necessarily mean you need to change the timing belt, but it does usually happen near the end of the belt's service interval. If you haven't changed the belt or don't know when it was changed, I'd do that service sooner rather than later.
the shush shush explanation is more like it

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've had this happen on two belts on my Jetta over the years. Both occurred about 60K into a 100K interval. I didn't change the belt early, and all was fine. But again, if you're unsure of the belt age on your car you probably should renew it and the associated parts.