squeak after shifting

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
hey guys first off thanks for all the help in the past.
hopefully you can help me again this time

just recently i noticed a squeak or "chirp" after shifting into second gear. i can only hear it with my windows down. while passengers, and other outside the car do not seem to hear it when i ask them to listen for it.

1. i only hear it after shifting into second gear, no other gears.
2. only happens on light shifts at normal traffic speeds (shifting at say 3200, into second at 2000 roughly)
3. cannot reproduce sound without shifting
4. still chirps if i "float" the gear shift
5. doesnt happen on harder acceleration (or i dont hear it)

it seems to happen when i power on, but it doesnt happen at takeoff or after other shift when i power on.

i suspect it is a bushing up front on the drivers side(weight transfer causing bushing flex/squeeze and thus "chirp"), but bouncing the car doesnt produce the sound either.

searches didnt yeild much, aside from one person who was responded with "throwout bearing" (your thoughts?)
the thread died out before any resolve

i was somewhat planning a "suspension rebuild kit" + an alignment soon anyhow, but if pointed in a different direction revealing the culprit elsewhere, i will take care of this first. otherwise, i will plan on the suspension rebuild in hopes it will eliminate this sound aswell as firm up all the other little squashes and play up front.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
is your a/c on at the time? turn it off and see if it squeaks, could be the a/c clutch is worn

i see your in FL still plenty warm to leave it on all the time.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
sounds like you're burning the rubber off your tires :rolleyes:, check your dog bone mount, it may be the culprit move your engine see if you hear it then.

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
well today i installed and ecstuning dogbone 3 piece bushing kit... didnt hear the squeak but at the same time, yes my ac has been on everytime ive heard it... so i have eliminated one possibility. ill listen for it again with ac

thanks guys, ill investigate