Sputtering continues.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
“Adv Meas Values” link is on the same “engine” page as meas blocks
I guess my software is just too old. Don't have that. Anyway I was just checking around and found my IQ was at 3.2, Yesterday I had it at 4.2. Readjusted it and got it to 5.2 and then took it for a spin. Light smoke coming out the back when getting on it,(Normal). It is now holding around 4.6-4.8. Tightened those screws back down and gave them a little extra to be sure it wont move. Timing is set between 5.8 and 6.2 Checked using the Cloud function. By the way the MAF Specified and actual are both equal now. 280

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I was thinking your static timing of the pump, be a figure that would be around the mid 40s or so. As in the graph, are you using vcds?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
All I can think of doing is monitoring values until you see something that moves along with your idle. Coolant temp sensor readings can also Affect idle

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
All I can think of doing is monitoring values until you see something that moves along with your idle. Coolant temp sensor readings can also Affect idle
Earlier in this thread I was thinking it was the coolant temp sensor. I was going to change it out but checked it and I guess it was good. Still not sure about it. Saw a viideo on someone else having the same problem and they changed theirs out and all was good. Reason I thought it was is because it mostly does it when the engine is colder. If I start it up for the day and use the car several times in that day it never does it again. But if I let it sit long enough it does.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Try retarding it a little, it will smooth out the idle and your off idle response

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When you first stated that I thought leaking injector, but that should cause a hesitation in starting.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Check your wiring and plug for the coolant temp sensor? When I had one fail it idle high when it was warm. Make sure the terminal fittings are making good contact and then put a little dielectric grease in there

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is what I had suggested earlier thinking maybe something in the pump was gummy and showed up when cold

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One thing to watch out for when you run that cleaner is that it gets pretty warm. It can fold up that hose and shut off the supply to your pump if you don’t read it carefully. I ended up using a metal line where it folds over the neck of my giant wine bottle

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
OK I replaced the MAF(needed), Replaced the return lines from the injectors(needed). Timed the IP. Then I changed the Fuel filter and bled it. Bled out the IP and then bled out the Injectors one at a time. Still the car sputters when I first start it when cold. Well it is 87 Degrees so not cold. Are there any other ideas on what makes this thing sputter on the first start? Last about 1 minute. Also I cleaned the Snow screen, not even dirty changed the Air filter(needed. I do have to say when I first opened all the injectors and turned it over I didn't see much spray at all. Then I started the car and opened them one at a time and got a lot of spray.
OK after yesterday finding out the IQ was off again, I reset it and tightened the Screws down a little better. IQ is running around 5.0. 5.2. Went out to start it up while it is still cold(61Degrees). Only one tiny sputter. I think I am pretty close now and will try for 5.6 or so later on.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
OK I replaced the MAF(needed), Replaced the return lines from the injectors(needed). Timed the IP. Then I changed the Fuel filter and bled it. Bled out the IP and then bled out the Injectors one at a time. Still the car sputters when I first start it when cold. Well it is 87 Degrees so not cold. Are there any other ideas on what makes this thing sputter on the first start? Last about 1 minute. Also I cleaned the Snow screen, not even dirty changed the Air filter(needed. I do have to say when I first opened all the injectors and turned it over I didn't see much spray at all. Then I started the car and opened them one at a time and got a lot of spray.
2 Days and no sputter. I am happy for now but this next winter I might have to do a little more adjustment. Usually does it worst in the winter.