Spring breakage

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
I have had both front springs break over time. They break about 2" from the bottom end and just lay in the strut next to the spring. This doesn't cause much drama because the bottom end of the spring is still well supported. Am I alone on this issue??

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Never had the front strut springs break yet but have gone thru several rear springs. MN winter salt/corrosion perhaps but most seem relatively clean and just eventually crack.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
It happens pretty often. I think VW had a recall on some newer cars for this. As yours did, usually they break at the bottom. I've had one that broke at one of the big coils at the top . The spring was resting on the strut tower.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Both left front and rear springs broke on my Golf. I had VR6 springs installed in the front, and OEM in the rear. Wish I had known about the Jetta Wagon rear springs as an alternative for the rear.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Few years ago my mk4 broke the front right spring same as yours. The broken piece sat in the strut for a month or two before i installed new ones. Maybe its more common of an occurrence then i thought.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
The further North and the more salt you get, the more likely broken springs can happen.

The stock springs have been dipped into a plastic coating to keep them out of the elements, at least for a while. The springs are high carbon steel and it's not that they rust, it's that the rust will follow any carbon striping (inclusions) in the spring steel. Any inclusions, which are not uncommon... and a few years of working into a weakness in the steel, a good hard jounce or overload, and the spring breaks.

It's one of those 'whatever it takes', situations. It's not the kind of thing you can effectively maintain. I guess you could recoat the springs when you are doing shocks. There are good suppliers of aftermarket springs. Be aware, there are usually 3-4 dots of color on the springs, which indicate the car and load the springs are intended to take. New Beetles springs aren't the same as a Jetta Wagon.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Daughters car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I recently found both my front springs broken on my golf. That was not the first time either. I had one breakage that the piece lay in the strut perch bouncing around making a tinny sound and I thought I had a serious problem.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have seen lots of broken springs. The A5s are worse. Fords often do this, too. They must use the same suppliers, LOL.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 wagon BEW; 2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA
Metal fatigue is to be expected. I had one of the rears on my wagon snap, easy fix.

Once bought a mk5 with a blown engine and all springs broken.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta
Yep, broke one on the front of my 2000 jetta.
Didn't look too bad, still had paint.
Broke in 2 places, pieces sat on the strut and clanked on bumps.