Sportwagon rear seat room?

TOPH R

Veteran Member
TDI
Stupid GMC 2500HD non diesel :(
Hey all, just wondering, we have an mk4 jetta right now and are looking into a new vw, my question is this...

In the sportwagon, what is the rear seat space scenario? I would like to comfortable carry 4 adults in the car, I am 6 feet tall, will the be a decent amount of room behind me?

Topher

EricVA

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
I hate to be a buzz kill as I am a huge JSW fan, having owned my TDI for over 4 years now. The rear seat legroom and comfort is the true Achilles heel of this vehicle. I have teenage kids that HATE riding in the rear seat of my JSW. My wife's 2007 Honda Accord is way more comfortable for back seat riders. It's a joke. Don't buy a JSW for transporting lots of people comfortably. At least not for long distances. Mine works ok for around town, but they are miserable on road trips.

TOPH R

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I appreciate the honesty. It won't be super often that we have 4 adults in the car, but every now and then. The wife has the thought that it would be us, 2 friends in the back, and our 2 dogs in the boot...
I don't know what to think, I have been looking at the 2010 passat wagons with the 2.0t gas, and they are apparently not too shabby for fuel mileage.

EricVA

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
You'd be fine like that for shorter distances and we've actually carted around dogs in the hatchback area, but the rear seat is cramped.

It's really not a deal breaker for me, as I use my JSW for transporting musical equipment and the cargo capacity is tremendous with the rear seats folded flat.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
After owning a 2010 JSW for four years the most disappointing feature of the car was the rear seat leg room. Adult size people just don't fit comfortably without the front seats pulled as far forward as possible. That is why VW stretched the Jetta. I would have bought that after VW lengthened it to gain rear legroom, but I didn't like the way it was contented. So here I am now happy as a clam with a 2014 Passat, just wish it was a wagon and not a sedan. So much for four adults and two dogs. That would still be a problem.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Well I appreciate the honesty. It won't be super often that we have 4 adults in the car, but every now and then. The wife has the thought that it would be us, 2 friends in the back, and our 2 dogs in the boot...
I don't know what to think, I have been looking at the 2010 passat wagons with the 2.0t gas, and they are apparently not too shabby for fuel mileage.
You have to ask yourself what will be more important, fuel economy vs legroom.

Four people and two dogs will fit in a JSW. I have done it and while not the best for everyday travel, the sportwagen handles the load well. If you were to transport four ppl and two dogs often, invest in a set of whispbars and a Yakima 16s box. I was going to get that set up but no need right now.

It is too bad that the passat wagon was shelved in NA. The gasser would be nicer for space but you would give up the joys of driving a TDI. I personally would pick the tdi sportwagen over the gasser passat in your situation 99 times out of 100.

If you are really stuck, ask the salesperson to get two additional people to sit in both wagons with you both.

Good luck!

irondogger

TDI
'12 Sportwagen TDI
Legroom, what legroom?

There is almost no legroom in the back seats if you move the front seats all the back on the tracks. We mainly purchased the vehicle because 90% of the time it is my wife and I. Most of the rest of the time our two dogs (medium size pups, max weight 43 lbs) join us and the rear seat cushions are removed so the seat back fold flat and level. Doggies like the panoramic sunroof, paws up!!!!

Realistically if everyone in the vehicle is 5'-5" or the front seat occupants like to kiss the dash the JSW is not a very good 4 passenger vehicle. It does make a great utility vehicle with the back seats folded down.

We also have a Passat TD SE which is a very good 4 passenger vehicle.

L8r,.........irondogger

TOPH R

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess it all depends on where the front seats are, I don't really do the gangsta lean back so I will have to go sit on one, set the driver seat, and check it.

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
I positioned the front seat so I could ride in the car comfortably, then got in the back seat and took that pic.
Would I like to sit there for 700 miles? No. Is it horribly cramped?.... hell no.
If a kid complains about not having room back there, that is one spoiled brat!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The biggest difference between the accord and the JSW is that the accord back floor is flat, allowing for more foot room. For me, rear legroom is not that big of an issue. My girls are both around 5'1" and done growing. My wife is 5'6' and I'm 6'1". If I'm in the back, I'm usually behind the driver anyway. We did a ski trip a few weeks back with the addition of my daughter's 6'2" boyfreind in the back and that made for a tight back seat. Trip was about three hours each way.

If you're willing to wait, the new model is supposed to have more rear lagroom. Although, from what others are saying, the wagen may not show up until late fall.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
If you're willing to wait, the new model is supposed to have more rear lagroom. Although, from what others are saying, the wagen may not show up until late fall.
KJ - i sure hope the new model has less rear lag! :D

OP - I would wait for the '15.

PacketHauler

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI 6M, 2013 Jetta TDI DSG w/ Prem (retired)
I wouldn't sit behind the drivers seat of a JSW, however I'm 6'4", so that's not a great benchmark. However, my kids are almost 4 and almost 1. It will be a very long time until they run out of legroom. Heck, it will be a long time until their legs reach the floor! :D

We bought the JSW for road trips because of the cargo space that was available, the mileage, as well as the option to get a car topper later down the road if we need it. Plus my wife thinks the TDI was way more fun to drive than the minivan. She's a keeper, I know. :cool:

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
Kids have their own cars. We have an Excursion for transporting people in comfort. There are back seats in this thing? Oh, those are those things all folded up? Ah, got it now.

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2016 Golf SE TSI
JSW isn't bad, if you position the front seats so they arent set all the way back, there is some decent leg room. But if your the kind of person that likes having the front seats in the maximum lounge position, then its a little tight.

Im 6'1 and I rode my friends two door GTI (JSW platform mate) in the back seat for about 100 miles and found it surprisingly roomy

The reality is the JSW is based on a small car design, the Golf. A lot of people end up comparing it to Mid Size sedans like the Camry and the Accord which in most every dimension are bigger cars.