Sportwagen VS NMS resale values

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
We have two 2015 Sportwagens DSGs and my 6sp manual NMS 2015 Passat SE. I just checked the resale values and can't understand why the resale values of the Sportwagens are thousands higher than the Passat?? Sportwagen S is $6,000 higher and the SEL is about $9,000 higher.

Any thoughts why? I felt my Passat, with it's 800 mile range and big size would be at least comparable

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
That is pretty anamalous. Here in WA the '13-'14 sportwagens and passats are basically on par price wise, at $ 15-$20K depending on mileage etc. Few if any '15 Passat Tdis on the market here right now, but the Jetta wagons are in the low 20s. I would think a '15 Passat would go for close to that.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
We have two 2015 Sportwagens DSGs and my 6sp manual NMS 2015 Passat SE. I just checked the resale values and can't understand why the resale values of the Sportwagens are thousands higher than the Passat?? Sportwagen S is $6,000 higher and the SEL is about $9,000 higher.

Any thoughts why? I felt my Passat, with it's 800 mile range and big size would be at least comparable
The passat was the cheapest TDI you could buy new in 2013. Plus - wagons are very popular.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Jetta sedan was the cheapest...

The Sportwagon is still a "real" Volkswagen, along with the Golf. It should hold its value better. It's a better car. Its base price was higher, too. I think they weigh more as well.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The Jetta sedan was the cheapest...

The Sportwagon is still a "real" Volkswagen, along with the Golf. It should hold its value better. It's a better car. Its base price was higher, too. I think they weigh more as well.
I priced out all 4 models in 2013. Couldn't touch the passat both in price and MPGs. Stickered at $27K - paid $23.1K. Maybe nobody had any cheaper Jetta TDIs at the time. Walked in and bought a 6M Passat off the lot. Golf was up there. I may not have checked the wagon, but had no interest in it. Beetle was considerably more expensive for some reason.

oilhammer

TDI
Not sure about 2013, but the 2011 NCS Jetta started at about $15k. They were not much different in 2013, so I doubt they were much more. NMS started around $21k when they came out in 2012. which was about $2300 less than where the B6 Passat started. THE NCS and NMS are considerably cheapened cars. The 2012+ Beetle is based on the NCS, unlike the New Beetle which was based on the 4th gen Golf.

The 2015 NMS was a carryover model, aside from the changed TDI engine option. The 2015 Golf was an entirely new vehicle. Carryover stuff generally has a lesser resale value for any given year, although not always.

My 2004 Passat, a "real" Volkswagen, even made in Germany, was nearly $29k MSRP..... in 2004. And there were no deals to be made, you were lucky to not have to pay a "market adjustment" on them. I only got about $1k off retail because I knew people at the dealer.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Aside from the rear seat comfort and the greater range I have to agree that the sportwagens are "better". The Passat steering vibration and tracking stink on the Interstates. The Sportwagens are "German" on the highway. Still the Passat is nice with people in the back seat, I guess size doesn't matter as much as I thought lol lol.

My Dad may be done driving so I was thinking of buying his Sportwagen but $21K or so is not an option right now. Hopefully he will get better and be able to drive again. Thanks guys

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The 2022 NMS was a carryover model of the 2012
There i fixed it for you, lol

As for the sportwagen vs Passat, I think it just goes back to desire of the market, the mk7 just has the love.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
still the same shell until they canned it.

I'm guessing those shopping for a Passat don't put any weight on an older unit with a TDI, they get blinded by driver aids and updated tech of the newer units.

oilhammer

TDI
It got a minor facelift towards the end. But since they only get chain-chuckers under after 2015, it doesn't really matter. Lots of 'em at auction, though! With the ubiquitous "not in running condition".