Sportwagen Ride Quality - SE vs. SEL

Scouser

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL 2014 Touareg TDI Lux
Here's a pic of my SEL with new 19x8.5s. Rides great.

Last edited:

Aquila

TDI
*** SOLD 08-27-15***09 JSW - DSG, Nav, F1 Tint, MFSW w/paddles, APR Stage 1, Unitronic DSG flash, HAVE VCDS
What's the change in the speedo with the 235/40r18? I assume that the greater OD will make it read slow.

pillboxhat

TDI
15' Golf (Formerly owned 240D, 00 Beetle, 06 Jetta
I have a 15 Golf TDi SEL. Got a flat within a month with 18s. Also thought the ride was harsh. Swapped out with a fellow TDI club guy. I took his 16s and some cash for 18s. Amazing difference! The ride quality is significantly better. Also, I am a driving enthusiast and love a great handling german sporty ride...And I have not felt any major drop in handling. At all. The ride is so much smoother. I don't hold my breath on bumpy roads and potholes now. And I easily got about a 5mpg increase in Fuel economy.

paix247

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf 4-Door in Shark Blue
I have a 15 Golf TDi SEL. Got a flat within a month with 18s. Also thought the ride was harsh. Swapped out with a fellow TDI club guy. I took his 16s and some cash for 18s. Amazing difference! The ride quality is significantly better. Also, I am a driving enthusiast and love a great handling german sporty ride...And I have not felt any major drop in handling. At all. The ride is so much smoother. I don't hold my breath on bumpy roads and potholes now. And I easily got about a 5mpg increase in Fuel economy.
5 mpg? Really?

pillboxhat

TDI
15' Golf (Formerly owned 240D, 00 Beetle, 06 Jetta
Meh. Probably. Yeah. I'd say 5.
Significant enough difference so yeah. I'd say. 3-5ish 0r 4-7ish.
Before It was tough to get over 475 for a tank.
Now there have been times where I get 525-550.

Aquila

TDI
*** SOLD 08-27-15***09 JSW - DSG, Nav, F1 Tint, MFSW w/paddles, APR Stage 1, Unitronic DSG flash, HAVE VCDS
Did you measure the circumference of both sets of tires? They may be quite different which would affect your odometer.