Sportwagen Drain Tube Hack

TDI
MKV Jetta sedan, MKVI JSW
So I think theres a general consensus that the design for the sportwagen pano roof is pretty well junk and clogs up pretty quickly. However just jamming a brake cable or weed hacker string up there never really seem to do the job sufficiently and it's usually clogged again a few months later because you never really get all the sticky gooey dirt out of the drains, especially the back one.

So I decided to try something different. I spend a lot of time outdoors, so ive got like a half dozen different hydration packs for various things, all of which need cleaning. So I decided to sacrifice the cleaning brush for the drink tube on them to the cause, and just buy a new one to replace it. It actually turned out drastically better than I was expecting. In the rear, the CamelBack--brush I used--brush was only long enough to get about 3/4 through the tube. However theres enough rigidity in it that you can also feed it from the top if you go over the edge of the headliner.

The entire process wa drastically quicker too. It took me longer to get the wheel and wheel well liner out of the car than it did to clean out the rear tube, and then flush it with water from the top. The brush fit all the way down the front and didn't require the removal of the cowl at all, which was also flushed with water. I generally fish the rear tube out through the hole for the taillight so I can see what im doing a bit better, and the brush didn't just scrap some of the stuff out, it got basically everything out.

So I guess if you d like to spend less time doing stupid maintenance because of faulty design, give this a try. Ill update in a few months to let y'all know if it makes a difference in how long you can push having to do it out as well.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
Sounds good. What diameter cleaning brush?

needsmoarturbo

TDI
2011 JSW
So I think theres a general consensus that the design for the sportwagen pano roof is pretty well junk and clogs up pretty quickly. However just jamming a brake cable or weed hacker string up there never really seem to do the job sufficiently and it's usually clogged again a few months later because you never really get all the sticky gooey dirt out of the drains, especially the back one.

So I decided to try something different. I spend a lot of time outdoors, so ive got like a half dozen different hydration packs for various things, all of which need cleaning. So I decided to sacrifice the cleaning brush for the drink tube on them to the cause, and just buy a new one to replace it. It actually turned out drastically better than I was expecting. In the rear, the CamelBack--brush I used--brush was only long enough to get about 3/4 through the tube. However theres enough rigidity in it that you can also feed it from the top if you go over the edge of the headliner.

The entire process wa drastically quicker too. It took me longer to get the wheel and wheel well liner out of the car than it did to clean out the rear tube, and then flush it with water from the top. The brush fit all the way down the front and didn't require the removal of the cowl at all, which was also flushed with water. I generally fish the rear tube out through the hole for the taillight so I can see what im doing a bit better, and the brush didn't just scrap some of the stuff out, it got basically everything out.

So I guess if you d like to spend less time doing stupid maintenance because of faulty design, give this a try. Ill update in a few months to let y'all know if it makes a difference in how long you can push having to do it out as well.
Have you cut the flap open on the end of the valve? Seems to help keep the shmoo from building up..

TDI
Sounds good. What diameter cleaning brush?
I’m not sure what the diameter of the brush is exactly, it’s just a standard Camelback cleaning brush. It’s slightly smaller than the drain itself, by agitating it a bit like it’s a drain snake worked really well and is the cleanest I’ve ever gotten it.

TDI
Have you cut the flap open on the end of the valve? Seems to help keep the shmoo from building up..
Yeah, lol cut the flaps off with a sharp side-cutter when I installed my trailer hitch a while back. It definitely helps, but doesn’t really stop the buildup of the really sticky dirt that traps larger particulate in the tube itself.