split cv boot kit, anyone tried it?

ytk

TDI
MK3
Hi, will probably be needing to replace my cv boots soon and am thinking of going the way of the split cv boot kits that are around just to save the hassle of taking everything apart and hopefully it will be a long lasting repair, any one tried them?
Thanks

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I don't like them personally, seems to me the chance of them just coming open is pretty good.

Steve

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Pretty lame idea. You would have better luck just wrapping your torn boots with a trash bag and tie wraps and it would probably last longer than those bogus split boots. And you are correct it's almost always easier to Micky Mouse something than to actually repair it.

If your boots are already torn, the CV joints need to come out for disassembly, cleaning and inspection and most likely replacement if any dirt and debris got inside the boots.

Read some reviews. https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-HELP-614-632-Universal-Quick/product-reviews/B000C10E1W

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Yea don’t, do it if you’re in a pinch and have no choice to get you home just to see the internals, but don’t drive it over 30mph and use a crap load of zip ties.
These things ever work, they let in dust and crap you’re trying to keep out, and it’s a marketing gimmick that you should avoid at all costs.

If your boot is already torn, I guarantee you have crud and dirt and grit already inside the grease and you’re going to cause more damage.

Take the axle out, take the boot off, take the spindle out of the CV joint and mark with a file on the edge of both rings a tiny index mark to reference when putting it back together and keep track of the balls in order like hours on a clock hand so they all go back the same way. take it apart, it’s not too hard, just tricky, clean everything in some solvents and finish with acetone to ensure to residue remains from the solvents, put it back together, now pack with new grease and put your new boot on with proper strapping. Make sure you get an OEM or high quality boot, not that crap from box stores that lasts 6 months.
BTW reman shafts are JUNK and will last maybe 6000 miles if you’re lucky. Rebuild your own axles, and get parts from junk yards if you must replace some parts.

Rebuilding a CV axle should take you about 4 hours max; it’s not difficult, just tricky.

ytk

TDI
MK3
Thanks guys! Glad I asked guess ill just do it the "correct" way.