Splash Guards/Mud Flaps

FreshOntarioBeetle

TDI
2002 New Beetle ALH 01M
Hello All,

Searched the forums and didn't come up with the answers I wanted so I figure I would ask everyone and perhaps help others with this decision if anyone else is thinking about it.

Is it smart to install splash guards or mud flaps on a 2002 New Beetle??

I live in Ontario right off the shores of Georgian Bay and our winters here can get pretty intense. Snow deeper than the underneath of the car, whiteouts caused by blowing snow, enough salt on the roads to make it sound like you're driving on a gravel road and constant slush and sand on the road.

With all the slush and sand, it seems like the rockers would take quite a beating, and almost always have a huge hunk of slush and junk hanging from them, often large enough to scrape along the road and accumulate a foot back from the wheel. They are massive. Do you think the rockers are just adept to take this kind of abuse? I have them coated with rust check, but should I run some homemade rally style mudflaps to take some of the beating off the rockers and stop these massive slush rocks or "fenderbergs" from accumulating? What about you jetta and golf people?

I see so many other beetles and virtually every other car out there doing just fine without.. but I just want to prolong my rockers as they are so costly to replace. Did VW consider these conditions when building the new beetle?

I have an idea for mudflaps, but Im really interested in some opinions for next winter. Let me know what you all think, regardless of which TDI or VW you drive, Id love to hear from you. Thanks!! :)

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
I know all about those fenderbergs. Kicking them off is a regular pastime of mine...

Would be nice to come up with an easy preventative fix for this.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
I've used them on all my rigs for many decades. They do help as far as saving the rocker panels. You will still get the slush hanging from the mud flaps and freezing with a quick freeze. Be careful kicking that off on really cold ambient temps. If the rubber is really hard you can split it.