speedtuningusa or upsolute?

Tyril

TDI
98 Jetta AHU 5spd, 2013 Golf TDI 6spd
ok, Ive got a 98 Jetta TDI, ive chopped both the mufflers and am running 2.5" pipe from the cat. I have removed the prescreen and dropped in a K&N filtercharger. Oh yeah, its got 105k miles on it.

I talked to a guy from speedtuningusa.com today. He is trying to sell me a 'power chip' and 'power box'

He didnt seem to speak english very well, and Didnt seem to have many technical details. I thought a chip did everything a power/tuning box did, and more. Am I wrong in that assumption?

I am unfortunately very impulsive when it comes to new toys, so I am considering driving to MD this weekend to get it installed.

Today I read about a Upsolute GTG in VA in august.

Shall I just get the speedusa stuff or wait for the Upsolute.

I am looking forward to more power, I am quite happy with my current gas mileage (44mpg avg) But I hope this engine makes it to 200k miles.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Ray Mal

Tyril,

I just bought a SpeedTuning box from the same guy on eBay. The reasons I went with his are:

a) he had positive feedback on the box.
b) it is easy to install and remove (for warranty purposes).
c) If I don't like it, I can always sell it.

The box arrived in 3 days and the quality looks to be good, but I'm sure it is just your average tuning box. The instructions are written in german, but he included an english translation. He also tried to sell me an air filter, but I'm going to get a K&N locally.

I should be installing the box on my 2000 Jetta tomorrow. It came "preset", so I'll let you know how it works. I descreened the snow screen today, as it was pretty clogged after one year of use.

BTW, If I wasn't worried about the warranty, I would have gone for the Upsolute. From reading here, that sounds better.

-Ray

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I think you will be hard pressed to find an unhappy UPsolute TDI customer. Infact, an unhappy UPsolute customer across the board. I think the general consensus here is that their product has won the "Chip wars". They do good professional work, and the support is there. If (When) it comes time to improve performance on my next TDI, it will be UPsolute.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Tyril,

If you are really impulsive, pull out your ECU and overnight it to me tomorrow. By Friday, you will be enjoying Upsolute power.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Don't under estimate the value of having Rene and his other distributors' customer service. If you have problems with anything, they are there to help you. That's worth my business anyday.

Those of you with K&N's need to borrow a friend's Pipercross panel. It breathes much, much better than the K & N.

Lito

[ June 26, 2001: Message edited by: tongsli ]

[ June 26, 2001: Message edited by: tongsli ]

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
You have a 98 Jetta TDI? This car does not have to ship the ecu . You have removable chips and all you have to do is get Rene to send you a set they take about a half hour to install in your car no fuss no muss. If you are interested in a tuning box I have a used Upsolute (very Little ) I will sell for 200.00

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
D'oh!

Thanks for the catch, tomo366!

I should have known that since:

A) I just chipped a 98 Jetta TDI
B) I owned a '97 GTI that was factory socketed as well

Sorry for the brain fart.

ombra

Tyril,
Just a suggestion, Ask Oli if he already has some one chipped and see if you can try out their car. Then try out one of the many UpSolute cars. I would also suggest finding out from both Oli and Rene(Valois) how they install their products.
I already have the tuning box from this guy and the power is not really smooth if you are use to driving your car hard. Maybe the chip applies the power more smoothly.
I am also looking at both chips but I don't want to be one of the first to have the power chip installed in the US. Atleast Upsolute has already proven their worth.
If someone from Austria, the home of SpeedTuning, or the rest of Europe has experience with this product, their view would be appreciated here.

Tyril

TDI
98 Jetta AHU 5spd, 2013 Golf TDI 6spd
Okay, upsolute it is..

Something that is still puzzling me - The tuning box. Will it do anything for me if I have an upsolute?

And there is still the question of the airfilter. Which is better? The pipercross or K&N? Stay with stock airbox? drill holes in it? go with a cone style?

Oh yeah, to whoever is gonna sell me the upsolute, you take credit? Paypal?

valois

Banned
Paypal is fine, we have tuning boxes, but I suggest you go with one in the for sale section, they are going for very reasonable amounts, Tomo has one that will fit your car. Adding the tuning box with a cone and chip will take you to around 150 HP.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Upsolute has the best chip---I didn't know Oli was even selling chips. I have one of his TBs with the Upsolute chip and my car runs VERY smooth. Tuning boxes are all pretty much equal---Rene's advice is sound. The cone does allow better air flow than the K & N but if you live in a very dusty enviroment, you will need to oil it---some forum members have reported MAF problems/failures after doing so.

speedrcr

Veteran Member
Go with the Upsolute, I've logged 25k with the chip and it's been perfect. BTW if I ever have a question Valois responds quickly.
Low price, Excellent service and customer support (don't get that much these days),Quality product.

Note the dyno chart below
"SPEEDRCR.002" is Upsolute (no other mods)
"SPEEDRCR.003" is Stock

Apocrates

Interested in the tuning box from speedtuning as well (oliver is helpin me)... he's suggested the K&N filter - why should I go Pipercross (as well as a price comparison, how hard is the install, whats the gain, etc)?

Thanks all,

Paul

haiku328

I just purchased a new Golf TDI in the San Francisco Bay Area. Where do I go or who can I talk to for help concerning tuning my car.

Haiku328

BlackGolfOn17s

TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
I have the tunning box and chip from SpeedTunningUSA and my 2002 Golf is a powerful beast now. I do need to get an air filter, so i can turn up the fuel on the box a little more! Oliver is an awsome guy, he helps any way he can! The only reason you guys think the UPsolute is so great is because they are such a large known name, but that doesn't mean they are the only good makers out ther!

valois

Banned
Speedtuning markets their tuning box but as far as I know they do not do in house chiptuning, they have purchased some files from Upsolute in Austria, to chip on a one time basis. Blackgolfon 17s I would be really interested in looking at the checksum on your chip.

Apocrates

OK, there were so many good postings about SpeedTuning, I bought a K&N and Tuning box just now... I can't wait to receive it!!!

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
My dentist has the speedtuning chip in his cars. I have UpSolute in mine. Take your pick. Both are similar performance upgrades. UpSolute is well represented here on the forums. Andy chipped my car last year, and does a great job.

Edited for poor english.

[ August 30, 2002, 17:51: Message edited by: BawlsyTDI ]

Oli

Hi there!

Damn that hurts, I thought I had improved my English since I came to the states

To get rid of all the confusion, SpeedTuning is doing Chip Tuning and we don't buy from Upsolute, but what I know for sure - Upsolute is buying our Power Boxes in Austria for the US market.
In the states we started with the Power Box, but customers where asking for Power Chips too, so we decided to carry traditional Chip Tuning also, no big shake.
For the quality of the Power Chip, so far everybody was happy with the performance and service, it will show in the long run.
Nice dyno, we also did some yesterday, top power was 115HP so far I can remember, but was not the strongest version of the Power Chip. Will try to get the printout.
It seems that I have to repeat myself today, if you want a great Chip Tuning for a fair price get a Power Chip from SpeedTuning USA, you won't regret it.

Always at your service
Oli

Oli

Valois my old friend, we do our own stuff, thanks for the interest anyway. If you need something just let me know. We really should think about some networking.

Best
Oli

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by Oli:
Nice dyno, we also did some yesterday, top power was 115HP so far I can remember, but was not the strongest version of the Power Chip.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My UP chip makes 115hp as well. (114.9 to be exact)

Apocrates

Oli, just wanted to say thanks for all your help - I didn't know you were on this forum, or else those questions I asked would've been a lot more easily answered!

Thanks again bud - can't wait to get that box/filter!

Paul R.

Oli

ProjektZwoTDI, in which gear did you reach your 115HP, do you know how much boost? Also do you know which sensor did they use for the RPM signal?
Apocrates, no problem, its on its way.

Oli

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
3rd gear on a Dynojet. Don't have a boost gauge yet.

115hp is consistant with other members here. There's one fellow here with a Jetta that put down 117hp with just the UP chip.

pizzaman

Vendor
TDI
2011 GOLF TDI
I never dynoed my upsoluted Jetta, but the G-tech shows 114-115HP, which must be accurate... The tuning box added to the ship however gives almost no improvement in HP (116-117 at the best), but it gives allot more torque - recipe for clutch slippage, nothing more... my 2 canadian cents.

Nice website Oli...

-pizzaman

Oli

Thanks for the info ProjektZwoTDI, well let's see how much we can squeeze out of the TDI next week

You are right pizzaman, the Power Box doesn't help so much for the top power, but sure for the lower torque, the question is when do you really go with 5000RPM? Even with a Power Chip I take advatage of the huge lower end torque and shift most of the time at 1900RPM. Thanks for the compliment, we should be able to finish it soon.

Oli

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Hi Tyril,

Get the chip, you'll be impressed with either brand. If you want to take a blast in mine
stop by york, pa. I can email you my dynorun from last week 114 hp at drum at 50mph, or 131hp/222hp at eng. Very smooth drivability, and good fuel economy. Some smoke, unless you mix w/biodiesel.

Oliver has a good product, and I plan on reselling it for him because it's good and he agreed to a new salesman up north. I can have you chipped in 10min. Need a vagcom read off your car or ecu# on top of it, located under firewall in eng comp.

Email me for advice what are your skills? Like Tomo said do it yourself. Let me know what you want.

Also, you should remove the intake and introduce it to a parts washer, intercooler too. Made a world of difference on mine. I spent 4 hrs one night and cleaned the whole system, pipes, etc. I even reused gaskets (I plan on pulling head soon and installing thick copper head gasket to lower comp a point or two (then turn up boost). We do that on funnybike and works great! Don't forget t-belt on sale now at vwparts.com

Oli and I are going to do more dyno testing this week on our cars at EIP. More results to follow later.

Jeff
Proto-tronics, Inc.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Hi Tyril,

Forgot, I also logged MAF & MAP data on runs, and have xls if you want. Max boost reported 2002 mbar (30psi). Boost gage shows max overshoot around 25psi and levels out to 15-16 psi under full 3rd gear pull. That is the sw raising the fuel map. I didn't log the injection timing, but will this week.

later,

Jeff
Proto-tronics, Inc.