Speedo failure

fixer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5/Jetta/5M/Reflex Silver
My car just turned 30,000 miles last week without a hitch. First problem my speedo no longer returns to 0 MPH when I turn off the car it stops at an indicated 11 MPH. Now it's as if 11 is 0 and it reads that much higher driving and sometimes it doesn't move at all and just reads 11 no matter the speed. I plan to take it to the dealer, just wondering if anyone had any ideas. I didn't find anything via Search.

greenbug06

TDI
06 nb gecko green 5 spd
i waited 7 days for the gauge cluster to come in for my 06 tdi nb...mine however reads anywhere from 20 mph slower than it should to just 0 no matter what the speed...i had around 5600 miles on her when this started and it works one day and not the next.i take her in this week to have it replaced..let us know what happens with your jetta

fixer

Veteran Member
TDI
Diagnosed today as a dead speedometer, which requires cluster replacement. I was told that I got the last Jetta TDI cluster in a US warehouse. Should be done next week. Cluster replacement requires that all keys be recoded to the new cluster. The service writer said that it was the first failed cluster they've had on the new Jetta.

greenbug06

TDI
06 nb gecko green 5 spd
they replaced my cluster called me and said still don't work they were gonna replace it with another one,got it back after two days and they scratched the steering column plastic and windshield lever replacing it, but the darn thing works now.

fixer

Veteran Member
TDI
I dropped my car off Thursday at Millenium VW and they gave me a loaner after they diagnosed the issue. My new cluster was expected this week, but lucky me it came in last Friday and I picked up my car Saturday morning. The new cluster is perfect and no collateral damage in its replacement. They also washed my car and cleaned the inside. I am very satisfied with this dealer, but I still do all of my own regular maintenance.