Speed vibration after rear brake job

jrclark32

TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed
Hey all! This is my first post here, but I’ve had my 2013 JSW for about 2 years now.

The tires she came with were getting pretty worn, and we’ve had some fun winter weather here for TX, so I decided it was time.

Sam’s Club had a good Pirelli deal going on, but since they were a week out I ordered them, and decided to do some more other routine maintenance while I waited. I got her up in the air for an oil change, and checked brakes. The rear pads were marginal, and I could see gouges and lip edge on the rear rotors, so I replaced all of it.

I had to head to Houston last minute after the brakes were done but before tires were in, and I had a new speed vibration at around 50, and then bad at 75. I assumed this was further evidence of tires needing replaced, but after new tires are on, it’s still there.

The tire guys assure me that everything balanced out no problem. Is there something from the new rotors that could cause the vibration? I don’t feel excess vibration in the pedal, like with a warped rotor.

I’ve done countless brake jobs without this issue. Is it just a coincidence? I’d appreciate any advice.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I’ve done countless brake jobs without this issue. Is it just a coincidence? I’d appreciate any advice.
What rotors did you buy? I've found years ago that many don't balance their rotors anymore. Some will list to what spec they balance them to, and I swear it's twice the value they used to use. I called Centric one time to ask them about it and was basically told that any imbalance was too close to the hub that it wouldn't be noticeable. I have installed Centric premiums on other cars, and the Jetta too, and didn't have problems. I just put new Zimmermans on the Beetle. Those did have balance cuts on them, and they've been performing very well - no vibration.

jrclark32

TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed
I went with the ceramic pads and “Duralast Gold” rotors from Autozone. Mostly based on what they had.

The paranoid part of me wonders if I somehow didn’t seat the rotors to the hubs properly. But, with the set screw, and properly torqued wheels, is that even possible?

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I went with the ceramic pads and “Duralast Gold” rotors from Autozone. Mostly based on what they had.

The paranoid part of me wonders if I somehow didn’t seat the rotors to the hubs properly. But, with the set screw, and properly torqued wheels, is that even possible?
Doubt it. The lugs pull everything flat and centered. It could have been machined incorrectly. Hard to determine which rotor is causing the problem though for you to take it back for another.