Speaker Rattle issue finally caught up with me...

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
Damian said:
Fuel economy is pretty poor with the 2.0 tdi. I get approx 470 miles to a full tank. Most i've got is 570, by driving like a lady for a week. Interior trim quality is shocking, rough edges on moulded plastics, etc. Stitching coming apart on seats, seat material scuffing up quite badly in places too. General fit & finish is crap too! I've had door panels misaligned, the works!

I'm sure that like me, most people want a car that is reliable, looks good, "feels" good and doesn't leave you feeling disappointed by the whole ownership experience.
Sounds like the UK Golf is somehow the polar opposite to the US Jetta. So far, I'd say they got it right this time! The new Jetta is a fine car. I don't see any of the problems you mentioned above in this car. Maybe pkg.2 makes the difference.

jodyrex

TDI
none :(
Do you think VW would incur the cost of applying sound dampening material such as dynamat onto the metal panel the speaker is on?

http://www.dynamat.com ( I am not endorsing this product btw. just an example) :)

Kyle_CMU

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
I think I am getting the rattle/buzz too. Could someone please send me the TSB, I tried the above link and it didn't seem to work. Thanks!

Kyle

GordonAE

TDI
2005+ Jetta TDI MK5
The real fix is much easier....

To REALLY fix the lousy sound in the Jetta is to do what I did. All you have to do is rip out all 10 speakers (there are 10), run all new wiring, replace speakers with quality (Focal, MB Quart, etc) components and crossovers, add a subwoofer with an amp (free air is best but hard to find), replace the headunit (Alpine preferred), and add a big amp. The sound improves considerably. :cool: Just dont ask what it costs.

roncace

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Spice Red

tpowel2

TDI
2005.5 Jetta 5 spd
Good Luck!

I had my car in the shop today for the speaker rattle problem (for the 4th time) and to replace a blown driver's door speaker. Half the way home... guess what... same old story! They also replaced my head unit, because it was doing all kinds of crazy stuff. No matter what CD I put in, it would start playing the song, then a few seconds into it, it would start the song all over again... then skip to another song, then go back to the original one! They replaced it with one like in the 06, with silver knobs, which is kind of cool. Now a new problem, the driver's door dosen't lock with the other ones when you hit 10 mph, and ever time I take off from a stop you hear the door click, trying to lock... but dosen't! Must have been something they did when they were working inside the driver's door today... now I have to go back again!

GLIDN

TDI
MK4 TDI
i'm going to bring back an old thread, none of the links work, and are unable to PM anyone, site keeps failing. So if someone can either PM me a link or email address i can contact on. Otherwise repost a new link here? thanks

subsonic44

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI 6-spd. Loyal
x2

I reported intermittant speaker rattle about 6 times. Comes and goes, but is annoying as hell when it happens.

Last edited:

srptdi

TDI
2005.5 jetta black
I replaced all my door speakers and made a metal plate adapter for the mid driver and the rattle disappeared. I think mid was causing all the rattling.