Southern Ontario Mechanic Reviews Thread

winks

Veteran Member
Looking for contact info for buzzken. Can anyone pm me his number pls, I tried pm but looks like he hasn't been on here in awhile

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
I just called the local shop in Sarniaa with a lot of Volkswagens up front, willy and karl's, even at 300,000 km they weren't going to change the camshaft and crankshaft seal, I'm a bit turned off.

If anybody knows a good guy between Sarnia and Hamilton area I might just go and make a day out of it and just get everything replaced. The stupid part is I have vcds and I would usually do it myself but my back is killing me

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I just called the local shop in Sarniaa with a lot of Volkswagens up front, willy and karl's, even at 300,000 km they weren't going to change the camshaft and crankshaft seal, I'm a bit turned off
That wouldn't turn me off. If a seal isn't leaking I let it be. The chances of a new seal leaking are higher than those of an old seal starting to leak in my experience. Our sedan will be due for it's 4th timing belt soon, it still has both original seals and no leaks.

On the other hand the rear main was leaking when the 6-speed went in, and that was before it's first timing belt - but when we changed the original clutch in my son's Jetta at 600,000km the rear main was dry so we let it be.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
I don't know why I haven't seen anyone mention Strictly European Motors (SEM) here, but I took my 2013 golf tdi to get the timing belt and water pump replaced, and they did the serpentine belt and replaced one of the worn tensioner rollers too. Very good prices, honest and professional. I know they have a very good rep in the gasser audi/vw world, hence why I elected to give them a call and settled on going there. Highly recommended if you're in the greater Toronto area looking for a place to go to

Slwburn

TDI
allroad BHW
Does anyone still recommend AutoBahn in London? I have a head gasket that needs to be done and I'm not certain I want to tackle it myself. I'm also considering Dewey's, anyone had TDI service there? I know he does trucks mostly.

Thanks

timoty

TDI
jetta 2003 wagon
hi guys, I moved from bc to scarborough toronto area (kingston rd) do you guys know any guru guy working on vw on the side ?
thanks a lot

Boostlee

TDI
05 Jetta wagon
I don't know why I haven't seen anyone mention Strictly European Motors (SEM) here, but I took my 2013 golf tdi to get the timing belt and water pump replaced, and they did the serpentine belt and replaced one of the worn tensioner rollers too. Very good prices, honest and professional. I know they have a very good rep in the gasser audi/vw world, hence why I elected to give them a call and settled on going there. Highly recommended if you're in the greater Toronto area looking for a place to go to

I can add to this, they just did my timing belt and camshaft on my BEW. Great guys

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen Comfortline
T
Does anyone still recommend AutoBahn in London? I have a head gasket that needs to be done and I'm not certain I want to tackle it myself. I'm also considering Dewey's, anyone had TDI service there? I know he does trucks mostly.

Thanks
top gear import parts in london is fantastic he did my timing belt, dsg, rear brakes, cv boot on my 2014 tdi golf wagon and he was great.

Nathan_og

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 vw jetta 1.9 alh 5 spd
anyone know of trustworthy shops near Toronto or surrounding area for a bsm delete in a 2005 passat?

Dex_Tor

TDI
2014 Jetta
Newbie to the site and still catching up/going through all the threads, but need a repair now, lol.

Any recommendations for a delete shop/tune shop, Toronto gta within 2 hrs?
Thanks in advance.

Nathan_og

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 vw jetta 1.9 alh 5 spd
Newbie to the site and still catching up/going through all the threads, but need a repair now, lol.

Any recommendations for a delete shop/tune shop, Toronto gta within 2 hrs?
Thanks in advance.
V dub performance in Etobicoke. That’s all he works on.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Huge shout out to Perjad @ Precision Tuning. My MK4 radiator sprang a major leak while my better half was running errands this morning. I had a new radiator at the house less than 3 hours after calling Perjad (used an Uber) and car was back on the road before dark :cool:

timoty

TDI
jetta 2003 wagon
hi guys, I moved from bc to scarborough toronto area (kingston rd) do you guys know any guru guy working on vw on the side ?
thanks a lot

HI guys,

I'm still looking for a reliable mechanic around Scarborough location. anyone know a guy that works on the side or weekend?
Thank you

waterluvian

TDI
'13 Touareg Exec
BUMPING for K-W-Cambridge area suggested mechanics for 2013 Touareg TDI. I seem to be losing coolant and having some engine stutter. The dealership is quoting a gosh-awful $6k to replace DPF and possibly the cat (though it seems the flex itself is leaking). They don't see signs of coolant pressure loss (went from 1/2 between min/max to light on in 2 weeks so there is a leak).

I see that Wiede is gone again, and Munich is back, seemingly to good reviews online. Nick appears to have moved to form a business called Das Parts. Any comments on who might be best to help me get my whip back into good operation? These emissions systems are hella complex and things have definitely driven worse since the recall/fix. Sigh. I just want it to run like when I bought it. Oh and not cost me 6+k in repair if possible.

would be a shame if the EGR/DPF fell off, huh?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Which dealership clowns did you take it to? You don't check the system only visually.... a pressure test is required.

waterluvian

TDI
'13 Touareg Exec
Sorry for the lack of clarity in my post - they claim they did a pressure test and didn't see anything that would explain the loss of coolant. No question, that the fluid is gone though, so...... coolant gnomes?

Regardless, presuming the dealer can't track it down quickly and won't budge on the hilarious pricing on the emissions system, I'm going to need a trusted shop to work on my baby, clean the intake, hunt and kill the coolant gnome (and maybe, uh, lose the problematic plumbing). Has anyone here used Munich lately? Or Das Parts? Or any other local recommendations?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
they claim they did a pressure test and didn't see anything that would explain the loss of coolant
Also, if they didn't SEE a leak, are they saying that it HELD pressure? If so, how are they explaining the vanishing coolant? Sounds like you need a different shop doing the diagnostic.

waterluvian

TDI
'13 Touareg Exec
Also, if they didn't SEE a leak, are they saying that it HELD pressure? If so, how are they explaining the vanishing coolant? Sounds like you need a different shop doing the diagnostic.
correct it held pressure
No idea. They haven’t explained except that maybe it was a pressure relief bled some out

So here we are - can try to get the flex welded to fix that leak but still need to chase down the coolant and hope the cat+DPF isn’t fracked