Southbend Endurance Clutch Failure

Blachermeier

TDI
05 TDI Jetta
The other day I was getting onto an on ramp with my 06 TDI Jetta when all of a sudden it sounded like it popped out of gear and started grinding. I could get it back in gear but after any real torque was put to the wheels it repeated the same thing and started making this terrible grinding. I automatically assumed it was the 5 speed gear box/transmission. After having it towed and spending several weeks tracking down a good/used 5 speed gear box I swapped it out only to still have the same issue!! Latter that day I took the new trans back out to remove the clutch. “Should have removed it the first time to check but from the outside and age I assumed it was good still”. After pulling it out I noticed the flywheel and disk pads were still good and nothing looked bad. Upon further inspection I saw small metal pieces fall out and one of the 4 rivets that holds the spring housing together was broken. This makes sense why it would hold a little pressure but upon any real engagement would cause the inside of the spring housing plate to spin and tear itself up. Has anyone ever seen a clutch fail like this? I can’t imagine these rivets are to come loose especially when it was not under hard abuse or low on pad life..

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
**** happens bro. How many miles on the clutch? You talk to SBC by chance? They may be able to get you just the disk if your flywheel and pressure plate are in good shape.

Unconventional failures do happen. The last clutch I replaced (Valeo) sheared the inner splines out of the disc. Disc itself could have gone another quarter million miles.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
SBC should be able to work with you on a warrante or some sort of anything. A failure like that isnt normal. Especially for a clutch rated for much more than your hitting it with.
If anything it could help them with quality control.

Blachermeier

TDI
05 TDI Jetta
Thanks guys. I purchased the original through Kerma TDI and they reached out to Southbend with the additional photos. They said it was not a warranty item and caused by “lugging the engine to much or dropping the clutch”. I don’t recall either of those in excess but have done some spirited driving. Either way Southbend stood behind the product and sent a new one so all is good and happy with both companies.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Thanks guys. I purchased the original through Kerma TDI and they reached out to Southbend with the additional photos. They said it was not a warranty item and caused by “lugging the engine to much or dropping the clutch”. I don’t recall either of those in excess but have done some spirited driving. Either way Southbend stood behind the product and sent a new one so all is good and happy with both companies.
NICE
i rev dump my stage 2endurance SBC about 10 times about 25 events over 4 years took it out to autocross. did that for 4 years with that car. so i would say at close to 300hp at the wheels is much more on the clutch being dumped at WOT at 6200 RPMS nearly 1,000 times... yea i call BS about that. but im not an expert.