Source for used tranny

NateVW

TDI
2006 Jetta MkV, 2016 BMW F31 Diesel Wagon
I've been hunting a used tranny for a MkV 06 Jetta (manual). I can't find one for any amount of money and have been patiently searching salvage yards with no luck.

Is there a good place to source a used or even rebuilt transmission. Online? Anywhere???

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Arron @ CascadeGerman https://www.cascadegerman.com or a junk yard. They are getting a hard to find. Given the price of the used & rebuilt ones, IMO, there are only 2 cost effective options: Have one rebuilt or installing a MK6 6 speed.

NateVW

TDI
Thank you for the replies!!

$2000 - yikes!

Might try the MK6 6 speed. Do you know of any online tutorials on the swap? Will the bolts between motor and tranny line up?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You can use a transmission from a BEW in a BRM car, too. You just won't need the VSS or timing hole.

If you do a 6sp, you'll also need to swap a bunch of other stuff besides just the gearbox.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I did a 5M to a 6M swap. Bought a kit from Darkside (in the UK, shipped via DHL to the US). The kit includes the trans, shift linkage, CV shafts,
clutch line, bleeder block for the different slave, and some other smaller items. Added a flywheel/clutch kit. Did not use the shift linkage,
only the shifter ends to the trans.
Had to remove the transmission output flanges to get the trans around the lower control arms (make sure the trans is empty of fluid). The trans
does not go in straight, you have turn the trans to get around the lower control arms, then straighten it out to lineup with the block holes.

oilhammer

TDI
I just take the subframe out. *shrug*. Takes only a few extra minutes, then the transmission just about falls in and out, LOL.

NateVW

TDI
Can the 06 Jetta TDI manual really use the tranny from a manual 09 and newer????

That could be a game changer for my search.

oilhammer

TDI
You'd be converting it because those cars use a 6sp transmission, so you'd need more than just the gearbox itself. As I stated in post #5 ;)

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Most of the items are listed in post #6, and also be sure you get the shift linkage that sits on top of the trans, the "golf club" linkage is different between the 5sp and 6sp.