Source for cooling fan "guide ring"

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
This is NLA through VW and I need to replace mine. Anyone have a source for these or have an old one laying around you'd like to sell?

#10 on the diagram. I need the smaller one for the passenger side.

I believe this is the part# 3A0121210A

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
I tossed two of each recently...still may be at the shop however. Most of the clusters of 3 attachment barbs were broken or missing entirely. I'll have a look for you tomorrow and see if I can dig then out of the trash or if they have already gone. If I do have then, you'll most likely have to use pop rivets or some other means to fasten then in place. Are you looking for pretty much unbroken ones? If I have them, these would be free.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
I tossed two of each recently...still may be at the shop however. Most of the clusters of 3 attachment barbs were broken or missing entirely. I'll have a look for you tomorrow and see if I can dig then out of the trash or if they have already gone. If I do have then, you'll most likely have to use pop rivets or some other means to fasten then in place. Are you looking for pretty much unbroken ones? If I have them, these would be free.
As long as the circle itself is not broke, I should be able to make it work somehow. Thanks for looking!

TDIDaveNH

TDI
So yes...they were at the bottom of the garbage can, let me know if you can use them. Also it's the smaller dia. one with the relief for the drive belt you are after?

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
So yes...they were at the bottom of the garbage can, let me know if you can use them. Also it's the smaller dia. one with the relief for the drive belt you are after?
Hmm weird, mine only had the 2 rings without the relief for the drive belt.

Did all 4 of these come off the same car? If so, are they front and back?

I need the smaller diameter one without the fan relief please. Unless there are 2 pieces to each fan and then I would take the 2 smaller pieces and the large piece with the relief for the fan drive belt.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I wish I could help, other than to say "shame on Volkswagen for obsoleting parts on a car with such a long potential lifespan" :mad:

TDIDaveNH

TDI
Sprocket, these came off of two different B4 TDIs, each car has one big and one
small ring. The small ring although from the pictures
it is hard to judge relative diameter is the passenger side ring which is
also the one with the belt relief. -Both of which are on the left
in the picture.

These are all I've ever seen in B4s makes no odds
If it's TDI, GLX or GLS. If these don't look right to you
then I would suggest something funky is going on with
your fan housing/shroud.

I can post up clear pics tonight of what
your shroud should look like if that
would be of further assistance.

bigred177

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Jetta
I'm sure that they put them there for a reason but I've always wondered what would happen if you don't put them back on.
Yea, the reason I ask is because when my cooling fan died recently I did not put the left one back on. I just want to make sure my car won't explode. I've been running my AC in stop and go traffic in the middle of a Texas summer and haven't had any issues yet.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I'm sure that they put them there for a reason but I've always wondered what would happen if you don't put them back on.

Pretty much nothing. I'm guessing they make the fan slightly more efficient by closing off a tiny bit of area where air would leak by.

On both of my cars, they were broken, rattling, etc. I pulled them off with no noticeable difference. The B4V ran like this for years and I've been running a smaller Jetta fan for about 3 months.

-Todd

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
Better pics.....

So, Sprocket, is this what your B4 has?

Yes, that's what mine looks like, minus the smaller ring.

Thanks for taking the time to find the rings and take pics of everything. Sending you a PM now.