Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Having survived at least two of these before now I would never say something so definitive about gas or diesel prices right now. Because nobody knows what the idiot in the White House is going to do next or the what the Saudis might do next and all of that could make all this of where we are today seem like a distant memory in a week.

If anyone believes at this point that this is over I got some swamp land in eastern North Carolina I like to sell you......

And I have seen pictures of the damage that was done there I don't buy for one second the Saudis can get all that equipment back up and running in 30 days I call BS on that one that was a political statement made to try to calm the oil markets.

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
Because nobody knows what the idiot in the White House is going to do next or the what the Saudis might do next and all of that could make all this of where we are today seem like a distant memory in a week.

Do tell me what "the idiot" is doing to dictate oil prices?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Having survived at least two of these before now I would never say something so definitive about gas or diesel prices right now. Because nobody knows what the idiot in the White House is going to do next or the what the Saudis might do next and all of that could make all this of where we are today seem like a distant memory in a week.

If anyone believes at this point that this is over I got some swamp land in eastern North Carolina I like to sell you......

And I have seen pictures of the damage that was done there I don't buy for one second the Saudis can get all that equipment back up and running in 30 days I call BS on that one that was a political statement made to try to calm the oil markets.
Depending on where that swamp land is, I might be interested in building a retirement home there.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
This isn't a crisis. It's nothing. It's already over.
I'll keep my eyes open to see if pump prices reflect that attitude. I'm guessing that it will take at least a week for prices to come back down.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I'll keep my eyes open to see if pump prices reflect that attitude. I'm guessing that it will take at least a week for prices to come back down.

Ditto. The oil companies NEVER lower prices as fast as they jack them up; when they finally do lower them, it is never as much as they jacked them up. It is a win-win for them and a lose-lose for us.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I have records in my MPG spreadsheet showing $4 + in 2013, 2011, 2008,

One tank of $5 / gal in 2008

My spreadsheet goes back to 2003 when I bought the 2000 NB.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The entire event was a non-issue with pricing around here.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The entire event was a non-issue with pricing around here.

Says someone who DOESN'T buy diesel! :D

BTW, what is your energy source for "refueling" your cars; coal, natural gas, hydro, nuclear fission, nuclear fusion, wind?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Saw two stations here in MA with #2 Diesel at $2.89. Lowest I've seen in a while. If the activity in the Mideast has impacted prices here I can't tell.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, nuclear FISSION is 31% but there was also the 3% from our big nuclear FUSION source. ;)
I get you. There putting farms up all over the place. They even have panels on the telephone poles around here.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I get you. There putting farms up all over the place. They even have panels on the telephone poles around here.

Out here they are also putting panels up over parking areas which also helps to keep the parked cars cooler due to the shade. California has mandated all new housing have solar panels (which jacks up the price considerably), but if you then install a Tesla PowerWall, you can store some of the energy. Of course the electric companies are also hiking prices massively. Latest report is the average user faces about a $300 annual hike in 2020 alone.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out here they are also putting panels up over parking areas which also helps to keep the parked cars cooler due to the shade. California has mandated all new housing have solar panels (which jacks up the price considerably), but if you then install a Tesla PowerWall, you can store some of the energy. Of course the electric companies are also hiking prices massively. Latest report is the average user faces about a $300 annual hike in 2020 alone.
Looks like I'm on easy street, paying around $1100 a year for electricity.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks like I'm on easy street, paying around $1100 a year for electricity.

Yep. It is interesting that it costs me less per month to fuel my TDI than it does to "fuel" my house. Diesel is at $3.299 here and I fill up every 4 - 6 weeks with about 15 gallons so the cost is just under $50. However, my Tier 1 electric rate is currently about 22.5¢ per kilowatt-hour and my monthly bill is around $105; I can only keep it that low by not running A/C in the summer or the heat pump in the winter.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
romad, if you're in AZ, unless your home is poorly situated, I would think solar panels would be a no-brainer. I'm covering all my electric (formerly 125/mo winter and $200+ per month summer) with a solar array. Paid for itself in 3 years, now I get almost all my power free and about $1,200/year in carbon credit sales proceeds. And that's in New England.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In NC, my quote for solar got me a pay back in about 15 years. Our electric rates are really low and our usage is also super low.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Those are some cheap electric bills. Few times my dad told me how much it costed for electricity it was out ravenous. In the summer with the A/c going in Southern California it was $600-700 a month in a house not 25 years old. Only a house just shy of 1900 square feet. It was a tract home in one of the larger counties. Amazing how much the “Cali tax” is yearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
And how poor home construction is in SoCal. A well insulated home there with solar panels would easily have zero electrical costs. And the money saved on a smaller HVAC system could go towards the cost of solar. But builders don't pay utility bills for the homes they build, so they don't care.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Yeah believe it or not the house was built rather quality and insulated rather well. I’m just in a part of so cal that actually has colder sections (down into the 30s, yes I know not that cold) and hotter sections, up into the 100-115 range for summer month and anywhere from 30-80% humidity year round. The original HVAC system while not stellar worked well enough. Once it was replaced due to a failure the bill did drop. Then when we went to solar with 31 panels on the roof we were off the grid 10 months out of the year essentially. Granted we had a pool, 5 people living in the home, a grandmother who had a cpap machine and all the appliances and what not.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
romad, if you're in AZ, unless your home is poorly situated, I would think solar panels would be a no-brainer. I'm covering all my electric (formerly 125/mo winter and $200+ per month summer) with a solar array. Paid for itself in 3 years, now I get almost all my power free and about $1,200/year in carbon credit sales proceeds. And that's in New England.

No, this is at my property in California under PG&E; our apartment in Prescott has utilities included in the rent. I probably should have gone with solar in CA 20 years ago, but couldn't afford it.

BTW, PG&E was responsible for the Camp Fire that destroyed Paradise last November due to their lack of proper maintenance. Their solution (besides declaring bankruptcy so they won't have to compensate for the lost lives & property) is rather than fix their infrastructure in the high wind prone areas, they just shutdown the power to all the customers in an area when high winds are predicted! I was just notified my power may be shutdown between now and Wednesday evening.

dcjkrueger

Veteran Member
TDI
Went from 2.76 a gallon to 3.20 a gallon today. Wait til Jan. of 2020 when the ocean going ships are required to burn low sulfur diesel. They are going to hammer us !!!

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
No, this is at my property in California under PG&E; our apartment in Prescott has utilities included in the rent. I probably should have gone with solar in CA 20 years ago, but couldn't afford it.

BTW, PG&E was responsible for the Camp Fire that destroyed Paradise last November due to their lack of proper maintenance. Their solution (besides declaring bankruptcy so they won't have to compensate for the lost lives & property) is rather than fix their infrastructure in the high wind prone areas, they just shutdown the power to all the customers in an area when high winds are predicted! I was just notified my power may be shutdown between now and Wednesday evening.

This last portion they are required by law to do with high winds or fires present. That’s not just them. SDG&E will **** down power as well with high winds and what not.

The bs thing that they did was have our lovely ex gov Jerry Brown write into law that they can pass the costs of the lawsuits they incurred into the residents that they provide power to. So essentially, those lovely folks in Paradise that lost their homes, have to pay PG&Es lawyer fees, legal fees, and any other fee PG&E wish to subject them too. Gotta love bs Cali politics and our terrible governors.

FiveFilter

TDI
Well, the reality is, those who benefit from the electric system are the only ones available to pay the costs. Unless, of course, the taxpayer is handed the bill, which may be what ultimately happens. Hey, with free health care and other welfare benefits for the world envisioned by current politicians, why not?

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
2 months steady @ $1.249/L ($3.57/gal) in most of South Eastern BC.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Paid 3.769 a gallon at a local reservation gas station in so Cal. Normally 20 cents cheaper than surrounding areas