Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

tadurkee

Veteran Member
TDI
none (formerly 2010 JSW DSG)
Diesel price is wildly all over the map here in Michigan. According to gasbuddy, 2.59 in Detroit at the Ambassador Bridge to 4.39 in Romulus (suburb of Detroit).
In my area, (west MI), just paid 3.28 in Cutlerville (south side of Grand Rapids), while the average is in the 3.39-3.79 range. RUG just went below 2.00 in a few areas, while still at 2.99 in others.

euromade

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the gasser world
Picture from 3 Days ago in West Michigan...

Today; RUG went down to $2.15; E85 $1.15; D2 $3.55

D2 is 40% more expensive than RUG and 67% more than E85!

Money wise; with the current price spread my 2014 Silverado on E85 costs as much to run as a TDI.

Last edited:

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Saw a place at $2.71 for D2 along my work commute. Day before it was at $2.89. Day before that it was at $3.29. Quite a quick and significant price drop.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Best RUG price in my area is $2.62
Best Diesel price is $3.34 (approx 27% price premium over RUG)

And as a happy holidays gift, PA state tax on diesel will jump another 14 cents per gallon in 2015... and then 16 cents again on top of that in 2016.
(http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol43/43-50/2336.html)

So we're going from 2013 when our state taxes on diesel was in the 20's... to 2016 when it will be EIGHTY-ONE cents a gallon. Just State, not including Federal.

And we don't have the refund for tax difference paid by diesel passenger car drivers vs gas like VA and some other states have.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Yesterday saw my first signs of diesel priced under $3 at $2.979 at three stations, all grouped together within a 1/4 mile of each other. Murphy, BP/Kangaroo, and I think Shell. I think RUG was priced at $2.199 but don't as much attention to it than I do for diesel pricing. Nice to know if I can't get my discount at Kroger's. I'm still waiting to fill up for under $30 but not holding my breath!:rolleyes:

Keep reading articles on CNBC about why fuel/oil prices will stay low - if you're a contrarian, it's a sure sign they won't for long!:cool:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I pass a BP station in NC at least twice a day. For awhile, it had very competitive diesel pricing to the SC stations. Noticed this morning that rug was at $2.35 and D2 was at $3.39. I know that I can get diesel for under $3 and rug for $2.15 without going too much out of my way, so typically the only reason I stop at that station is for lottery tickets.

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Die$el price

Sign your life away and get a discount.. $2.84 on base :D

Or maybe loan your keys to a Veteran.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Bestgate Shell B5 tuesday- $3.09 advertised ( I paid 3.04)
Bestgate Shell B5 Wednesday- $3.19 advertised ( I paid 3.14)(must be shell card, chash and credit listed the same)
But strange it went up.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
$1.259/L or about $4.77/USG in Castlegar, BC yesterday.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Regular unleaded was $2.25 at a couple of stations I drove past here in Central Ohio, while diesel was $3.65. Ouch!!!!! Looks like my TDI is another of my many decisions that just didn't work out.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Best RUG price in my area is $2.62
Best Diesel price is $3.34 (approx 27% price premium over RUG)

And as a happy holidays gift, PA state tax on diesel will jump another 14 cents per gallon in 2015... and then 16 cents again on top of that in 2016.
(http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol43/43-50/2336.html)

So we're going from 2013 when our state taxes on diesel was in the 20's... to 2016 when it will be EIGHTY-ONE cents a gallon. Just State, not including Federal.

And we don't have the refund for tax difference paid by diesel passenger car drivers vs gas like VA and some other states have.
They want a fuel tax hike here in Iowa too. Problem for the state is people are already complaining about it.

With efficiency increases it's a tax of diminishing returns and further, it doesn't deal with electric vehicles.

Better to do a much smaller sales tax increase and have everyone pay for it, since everyone benefits from the road system anyway, even if they don't drive.

Personally I'd like to know what they squander all the money they get now on? It probably goes to bloated salary govt workers and pensions. There's never been an audit of IADOT to see if they really need all the administrative people they have now.

If they'd say where the money's going I'd listen to a sales tax increase for road repairs, but since they're not talking I'm not in favor.

Steve

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Diesel dropped about 20 cents a gallon the past week in Bellingham WA today.

Fred Meyer is selling diesel for $ 2.729 after their usual 3 cent discount.

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
Better to do a much smaller sales tax increase and have everyone pay for it, since everyone benefits from the road system anyway, even if they don't drive.
A gas (or diesel) tax increase will be partially passed along as an increase in the price of consumer goods, since when the price of fuel goes up, that will be reflected in retail prices.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
A gas (or diesel) tax increase will be partially passed along as an increase in the price of consumer goods, since when the price of fuel goes up, that will be reflected in retail prices.
That would only apply in transport of consumer goods and only in some cases, not all. It would not apply where the end user is the consumer and they're fueling a private vehicle.

A state sales tax would be a better solution. As fuel taxes are increased people alter behavior to match, that's why new taxes rarely create the windfall they promise. Electric vehicles totally circumvent the standard fuel taxing mechanism yet they use the road system. Eventually as more people look to options to keep what they earn in their own pocket the state has to do more taxing to take the place of losses from changes in behavior.

Once you get to that point you become the next IL or MI as people look for greener pastures with less onerous taxation.

But besides that, before states start claiming that they're not taking enough in taxes from the population we need an audit of the existing systems and the funds they receive now and where they go. It's very easy for a bureaucracy to claim they don't have enough money to do what they need to do when most of what they get is being frittered away.

People need to get involved and press for the information about where the money is going now and not just rubber stamping additional taxes. Local and state govts need to be held accountable to the people they govern.

Steve

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Passed a BP this morning with $1.99/RUG and $3.29/D2. Keep in mind the Murphy's across the street has D2 at $3.11. Quick look on GB shows a Citgo selling D2 for $2.73 next to the Opry House.

Jason

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
Long Island Hess stations average about $2.75 for RUG, $3.29 for D2.

That's almost exactly a 20% spread.

I consider anything under about a 12% difference a wash, since D2 has about 12% more energy per gallon than RUG.

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
Nah. When gas prices drop like this, people go right back to buying the same gas guzzling huge SUVs they did the last time fuel was this low.

It's like we as a society have no long term memory or concept of the future.

Diesel in my area is still holding steady at $2.919 (cash/credit).

Has anyone seen any independently owned stations close because of these falling prices? We all know from experience that stations that get stuck with high priced diesel fuel will just let it rot, but a station caught with high priced gas can be at risk of closing. Seems like last time we had a huge drop like this, dozens of indie stations closed because they couldn't sell off their high priced fuels.

The reason I ask is I've got a mom & pop station on the outskirts of my town that's asking $3.249 for gas and $3.799 for diesel, when the going rate in town is $2.389 for gas and ~$2.919 for diesel. I just don't see how they can make it charging those prices and I'm surprised there hasn't been a rash of publicized closings yet.
What do you mean "stuck" - I would imagine that fuel turnover at most stations is a day or two at most, and smaller stations would probably have smaller tanks. If a station had a larger 10,000 gallon tank, that would take 500 fillups at 20 gallons each, or about 20 cars an hour. The busier stations near me probably have a dozen cars filling up at the same time for most of the day, so 20 an hour would be a very low average.

Most smaller stations I see that don't have competitive pricing are service stations, where auto repairs are the major source of income. I can't see that prices would drop so quickly that their current fuel inventory would drive them out of business.

Last edited:

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
Southwest Ohio... 2.18 RUG 3.55 Diesel. Holy cow! 1.37 spread

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Lots of stations $2.99 or slightly lower in Minnesota -- only one in the Twin Cities metro so far, but there will be more by Monday. Still some charging $3.99 and even $4.29 but the fuel in their tanks is degrading by the day and is not sufficiently winterized to withstand the sub-zero temperatures that will be here in a few weeks.