Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
Paid $1.96 yesterday for ULSD in Jackson, MS. That's 1 cent cheaper than diesel was when I bought the car (my first fill up was @ $1.97/gal). Just my luck, a few miles down the road was a station selling it for $1.92. I'm not usually in that area, and I didn't check the prices before I left home.

I just checked gaspricewatch.com, and it's showing $1.94 now where I filled up and $1.87 at the other place. RUG is $1.79.

s20130

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Local Shell in Buford (GA) had Diesel at $2.12 RUG at $1.76.
They are the least expensive I have seen in the area. Good beer prices too! :D

Frames Fan

TDI
'09 Jetta TDI Black/Beige
Shell in Atlanta

$2.29 D2
$1.89 RUG
$2.19 PUG

Gap is closing. With the 10% discount for using the Shell card I'm down to $2.06!

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Dare I admit to this? D1, the only type available in the state in winter, is $3.39/G. RUG is $2.33. Agreeably it makes no sense. And yes I know D1 has about 10 to 15% less heating value & thereby mileage characteristics. Yes, the proper lubricity additives have been included.

Last edited:

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
I noticed in my area (Orange County, California) Diesel pricing is closing in on Premium Gas prices and in some cases lower than Premium Gas.. hopefully it will lower some more in the coming weeks.

The prices at the gas station I filled my gasser Volvo at today, Chevron:
Regular: 2.21
Premium Gas: 2.33
ULSD: 2.39

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Gap continues to narrow in DE. Down to a 32 cent/gal (18%) spread.

On my commute:

Cheapest RUG - $1.75 @ Wawa, Dover
Cheapest ULSD - $2.07 (w/ BP card 5%) at BP, Felton

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
I've been noticing the same thing in Connecticut. I just paid 2.53 this week and RUG is up to 1.97. (the spread seems to be 2.53 to 2.65) Wonder what's behind the rising cost of gas but declining diesel price?

My mileage on this tank is down from where it normally is at the half-tank point. I wonder if I got some of that crappy seawater diesel fuel? The place I went to just reopened after a week or two shut down.

yakfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI 5 Speed
This is a great forum! I just found it last week so I decided to sign up and join the discussions. Lots of good info thanks to all the contributors!

The cheapest I have seen so far is 2.25/gal just east of Columbus, Ohio 2 days ago. its still coming down slowly!

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
yakfish said:
This is a great forum! I just found it last week so I decided to sign up and join the discussions. Lots of good info thanks to all the contributors!

The cheapest I have seen so far is 2.25/gal just east of Columbus, Ohio 2 days ago. its still coming down slowly!
Welcome aboard yakfish. Update your signature so we can see what TDI(s) you have or want.

kingcone

TDI
2015 A3 TDI Premium
Pricing seems to make no sense or is very regionalized. Today as I drove around I saw $2.59 and $2.45/gal in the Mentor area east of Cleveland. When I went south to Massillon it was $2.35/gal for ULSD and $2.25/gal for LSD. Had a full tank so it really didn't matter( Had filled up in AM at $2.45/Gal). Later in the day I was in Canton, OH and found ULSD for $2.14/gal! Whished I could roll the back windows up real tight and fill the backseat. All of this is in about an hour fiteen minute radius of where I live. Could someone explain why the big differences? These were also all neighboorhood stations. No truckstops on the interstates.

fancy_dancer

TDI
2009 JSW DSG
Cheap fuel in Columbus, OH

Murphy USA, on East Main Street in Whitehall (suburb maybe 5 miles east of downtown Columbus) has had ULSD for 205.9 for several months. It's not worth it to drive across town to save a few bucks, but if I'm in the area I'll sure save the money! Mileage seems to be about the same as with Speedway or BP.

Rat-30

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
$2.039 - $2.2259 within 14 miles of each other on two major highways on the South side of Dallas, TX...

Railroad

TDI
Skoda Octavia Elegance
My heart bleeds for all of you. Diesel is £0.99 per litre, which works out to be £4.50 per UK gallon. At today's exchange rate that's $6.61USD.

Bearing in mind that a UK gallon which is equivalent to 8 pints, is more than a US gallon, (an imperial pint being 20fl/oz, compared to a US pint which is 16fl/oz) you still wouldn't want to be paying UK prices for your fuel. I make it $5.28 per US gallon.

About 80-85% of UK fuel price goes to the government in tax.......

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Railroad said:
My heart bleeds for all of you. Diesel is £0.99 per litre, which works out to be £4.50 per UK gallon. At today's exchange rate that's $6.61USD.

Bearing in mind that a UK gallon which is equivalent to 8 pints, is more than a US gallon, (an imperial pint being 20fl/oz, compared to a US pint which is 16fl/oz) you still wouldn't want to be paying UK prices for your fuel. I make it $5.28 per US gallon.

About 80-85% of UK fuel price goes to the government in tax.......
sorry to hear about your greatly higher price for diesel, but we have seen prices drop close to 50% in the last 4 /5 months. what if any decreases have you seen in the UK since oil dropped from 140 a barrel to 42 a barrel.

yakfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI 5 Speed
fancy_dancer said:
Murphy USA, on East Main Street in Whitehall (suburb maybe 5 miles east of downtown Columbus) has had ULSD for 205.9 for several months. It's not worth it to drive across town to save a few bucks, but if I'm in the area I'll sure save the money! Mileage seems to be about the same as with Speedway or BP.
Is that very far off of I-70? I drive thru columbus 6 nights a week it would be nice to find a spot on my run for cheap fuel.
Thanks

Railroad

TDI
Skoda Octavia Elegance
coolbreeze said:
sorry to hear about your greatly higher price for diesel, but we have seen prices drop close to 50% in the last 4 /5 months. what if any decreases have you seen in the UK since oil dropped from 140 a barrel to 42 a barrel.
That's a contentious issue too. About six months ago diesel peaked at around £1.30 a litre, (4.55 litres = 1 UK gallon). Petrol (gasoline) and diesel have been sold in litres rather than gallons for quite a number of years now, even though we still measure distance in miles, and use miles-per-gallon when talking about fuel consumption.

Now because of the lower price of crude oil the price had fallen to typically 95p a litre, but over the last few days has crept back up to the £1.00 mark.

Petrol is about 85p a litre, and is now cheaper than diesel. A few years ago this was not the case.....

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
$2.12 to $2.29 RUG
$2.39 to $2.59 for PUG

$2.62 to $2.79 D2

Raymond/South Bend WA

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Noticed today on the futures market that D2/HHO were within ~$0.02+ this afternoon but closed with a ~$0.05+ difference from RUG . A great change from the 0.30-0.40 difference a couple of weeks ago . Hope this trend of narrowing prices continues .