Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

TDI Pete

TDI
2010 JSW DSG 6 Platinum Grey Metallic Black Pleather interior
Wow,

You guys are lucky, $3.60 here this morning. York, PA. But we have it easy, I was in Belgium over the holidays, it is the equivalent of $6.55 a gallon 3.78liters.

Pete

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
Anywhere from $3.49 at some Kwik Fills on up to $3.69 at our Sunocos and Mobils.
We also have a couple of reservation stations nearby that boast $3.14 - not sure about the quality of thier fuel or who they buy from.

On principle I'd rather not buy from Mobil since they're always overpriced. My options are Kwik Fill which is well out of my way or reservation fuel which is a little out of the way or Sunoco which is local for me. And it's all of 40 Cetane.
So, is convenience worth the compromise? Does anyone know who's fuel is best?

All we get is ULSD around here as far as I know.

97pssat04golfTDIs

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat GLS TDI traded in, 2004 Golf GLS, 2004 Passat GLS Sold in Nov. 2012
n8ronJ said:
Anywhere from $3.49 at some Kwik Fills on up to $3.69 at our Sunocos and Mobils.
We also have a couple of reservation stations nearby that boast $3.14 - not sure about the quality of thier fuel or who they buy from.

On principle I'd rather not buy from Mobil since they're always overpriced. My options are Kwik Fill which is well out of my way or reservation fuel which is a little out of the way or Sunoco which is local for me. And it's all of 40 Cetane.
So, is convenience worth the compromise? Does anyone know who's fuel is best?

All we get is ULSD around here as far as I know.
I will quote from Bleached Bora's Newbie and Vets Fuel economy tips thread, "both BP and Chevron have stated that they won't have Cetane under 49, which is what our cars need. If you're filling with crappy fuel run an additive." Whenever I get the cheap stuff I use stanadyne or Power service cetane boost and fuel lub. You can order the stanadyne fro World Impex and I get the Power Service from my local Advanced Auto parts store. They do help but improve mpg and smoother stronger engine performance. Starting with the best fuel is the way to go. I hope this helps, BB's pointers have helped me I knew some of them and others I did not it is a good thread, check it out.

This is also from BB's thread great info to keep in mind before filling up, "I've called lots of corporate offices and have numbers on the following cetane levels (all are at least): BP/Amoco, 50; Chevron, 49; Shell, 46; Sinclair, 46; Flying J, "not less than 38, not more than 42." Most truck stops are going to be low numbers beacuse most semi's don't care what cetane they are running."

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=200694

Take care,

Drew

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
3.59 for B5 @ getgo on baum blv in oakland (pittsburgh) Dino-D is about the same everywhere else around here

doggonit

TDI
Jetta 2006
Cost of diesel fuel

Oil companies - have no more greed than the average corporation. BUT they recognize that if diesels are used in nearly all vehicles, they will be "swimming" in oil due to the drastic reduction in amount consumed. (In Europe they are up over 60 U.S. MPG.) So in their wisdom they are dissueding the public from buying diesels by elevating the price. The cost of the new processes to remove more sulphur is less than 2 cents per gallon over the prior costs.

Doggonit in Mooresville
2006 Jetta TDI and owner of VW diesels since 1979:)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
doggonit said:
So in their wisdom they are dissueding the public from buying diesels by elevating the price. The cost of the new processes to remove more sulphur is less than 2 cents per gallon over the prior costs.
ULSD is about 4.5 cents higher than heating oil at NY Harbor. A year ago the spread was about 8 cents. So ULSD is becoming slightly more abundant, and getting cheaper.

Futures prices for crude oil are in backwardization -- the current (spot) month is priced higher than later months. This encourages producing countries to pump more, but it also encourages refiners to buy only what they need and not build any stocks.

This is also the case with heating oil futures -- June '08 HHO is 10 cents/gallon less than Feb '08. Refiners want to produce what they can sell now, they don't want to hold excess stocks when the heating season ends.

The market anticipates much higher prices for gasoline -- June '08 is 18 cents/gallon higher than Feb '08. So refiners have an incentive to start making and storing summer formulated gas as soon as possible. As gasoline production increases, so will diesel production.

A few weeks ago, diesel was about 40 cents/gallon higher than RUG in much of the country. Now I'm seeing the margin shrinking to 10 cents/gallon in many markets, and it won't be more than a few weeks until RUG is higher than #2 diesel.

The market dictates what refiners will do -- they do not control the market.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Noticed that both gas and diesel have come down a few cents. The Quik Trip I usually fill up at has RUG at 2.94 and D2 at 3.39. Not neccessarily the best prices around, but convenient for me in that it's along my route to and from work and they also have a fairly good turnover of fuel. I've not had any fueling problems there, and I've not used any additives in some time.

stumblinhorse

TDI
2006 Jetta Package 2 2003 Dodge 3500 DRW Cummins 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins 2005 Kubota 31 HP Diesel
Whewwho!! I bought my first tank under $3/gallon!!

$2.96 In elizabeth,co!!!! I can't remember when I spent this little... I also remember when bread was a Nickle!

---Doug

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
It actually went down from 3.41 to 3.34 here this week.
Woodbine-for heavens sake don't fill up in the city. Sounds like you are quoting Chicago prices (it's 3.89 on the corner by my house.) You can save 50 cents a gallon by buying outside of Cook county.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I went through Phoenix nine days ago, and paid $3.119 at the Flying J on I-10. Today the Flying J website shows that #2 diesel is $3.019 at that location.

The one on I-90 in West Spokane shows $2.899, nearly 20 cents cheaper than their price for RUG, but that might be a mistake.

The one in Troutdale OR shows $2.979, but I don't know if that includes all the taxes. Someone in Oregon will have to explain how it works there.

KentSzabo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Mojave Beige Metallic
Fuel Prices

Unfortunately Diesel prices are tied to heating oil prices, our cars are competing with archaic furnaces and heating systems.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Fuel

$3.11 for diesel outside of Toledo,Ohio. Fueled up on the way back from the Detriot Auto Show. That's .25 cents cheaper than at home.

Dweisel

97pssat04golfTDIs

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat GLS TDI traded in, 2004 Golf GLS, 2004 Passat GLS Sold in Nov. 2012
The Prices for Diesel Sucks Now

In the Washington DC metro area I have seen the cash only Freestate stations at $3.35.9 (40 cetane). I wanted some of the higher cetane Chevron or BP Power Service Diesel. The BP was $3.69 is what I got, the most I have paid for fuel yet. The Chevron was $3.59. I'm paying for the highest cetane diesel I can get for winter use to see if it helps improve mpg. This fill was for my wife's Passat, I won't need to fill my Golf unitl closer to the end of the month and it will be my turn then.

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
It was $3.09 in Jackson, MS where I filled up today, and it is $3.25 here at home 40 miles to the West.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
$3.39 in Ann Arbor, $3.50 on the Ohio Turnpike, $3.39 in Ohio off of the Turnpike.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
97pssat04golfTDIs said:
In the Washington DC metro area I have seen the cash only Freestate stations at $3.35.9 (40 cetane). I wanted some of the higher cetane Chevron or BP Power Service Diesel. The BP was $3.69 is what I got, the most I have paid for fuel yet. The Chevron was $3.59. I'm paying for the highest cetane diesel I can get for winter use to see if it helps improve mpg. This fill was for my wife's Passat, I won't need to fill my Golf unitl closer to the end of the month and it will be my turn then.
Where in Rockville are you? I work in Rockville Town Center. Drop me a PM sometime.

rfwheeler

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
I drive back and forth from Atlanta to Tampa every other weekend. Near my Atlanta end it's about $3.79 for pretty junky stuff, on the Tampa side it's around $3.39 for mid-grade stuff

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited, 2015 Golf R DSG/DCC/NAV.
Further west in Clark county, VA, west of Berryville, Tripple J has 45 Cetane for $3.39/gal., in Purcellville at BP 45 Cetane is $3.49/gal.

C12H23

TDI
09 jetta tdi
Drove by a station in Toronto the other day putting it out there for $1.13 a litre... I just kept driving, I have atleast a week to go.
I was paying between $0.30 to $0.50 a litre in Alberta less then 10 years ago.

Above a buck what a shame.