Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
RUG is high enough here in SoCal -- around $3.40-3.50 -- that our fuel surcharge is up to 8 cents, for a total of 48 cents/mile. With diesel around $3.80-3.90, my own fuel cost has gone up from the 8-9 cents per mile range to about 9.5 cents. So after paying for fuel I am left with more money than ever before.:p :cool:

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
Holy crap! I almost rear-end another car on the way to work this morning when I saw $ 3.79 at my usual Texaco place. It was $ 3.49 earlier this week. Up 30c inside a week.

Madness !

roytoy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI Shark Blue on Black, 2 Door Manual
Same here, I didnt want to fill up Wednesday at 3.49 and instead I bought $25.00

Now, I filled up and my car was not even empty. $40 for 10 gallons at US 75 and Cambell in Richardson TX.

It does not make any sence anymore to have a TDI.

I made some quick math and it is cheaper for my wife who drives a V6 Mustang to operated her car than for me with my Jetta...

This is absolutely out of control.

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
roytoy said:
It does not make any sence (sic) anymore to have a TDI.
It still makes sense for me...
I figure that I still save money vs. the car I used to have (an 03 Honda CR-V); my TDI is gets 60% better mileage on the same commute... saving me about $ 40 / 1,000 miles.

Mulad

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Reflex Silver Jetta 5sp Manual w/Pkg 1 (XM)
?

RUG would have to be something like $2.15/gal or lower to be cheaper per mile in a Mustang.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
In south west today Denver $2.999 RUG , $3.799 D2 . This is complete bull and the oil companies know it . The powers that be in the oil industry seem to want to do what they can to keep light duty diesels from becoming main stream anytime soon by scaring off new diesel car buyers .

The best hope for the oil price is a real spike to $130 forcing RUG to the point that people look for any more efficient option like the light duty diesel .

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
SIGH! $4.19/Gal. U.S. here in N. Mich. Oh the humanity!

roytoy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI Shark Blue on Black, 2 Door Manual
I have been neglecting to clean the snow filter and the intake manifold...

I have been neglecting changin the speedo wire for my motocycle. Both will be done with the next paycheck.

I cant afford paying 60 a week for my transportation. Well, I can but I dont want to.

Is more than I spend on food!

rivercanoe

TDI
'06 Jetta Pkg 0
We have a couple of "non-American" owned convenience stores here in Benbrook, TX selling diesel for $3.89 and $3.94! I can usually buy it in Fort Worth for $3.60 at the bottom end. :mad:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
$3.919 at the Flying J in Bakersfield, $3.949 in Barstow. So nearly any station charging under $4.00 in SoCal is a good deal.

OTOH, it is less important now to search out the absolutely lowest price. A .10 difference is insignificant, percentage-wise, especially when it costs about .10 to drive a mile... it's only about 2.5% more, and traveling 10 miles out of your way would cost more than you save at the pump.

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
Last Friday I passed my usual filling station on the way to the airport, $2.99 RUG, $3.62 diesel. :eek:

dok

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V
Paid $3.95 at 76 station 101 Ventura fwy @ Topanga Cyn Blvd. We have no one to blame but ourselves for the mess were in. :(

mdrumstas

TDI
03 Golf
My previous car would get about 20-22mpg on premium. I'm still happy getting 100% better mileage with a 10-15% increase (over premium gas) in fuel cost. Plus the options for non fossil fuels is greater for our cars (which, to me, has a greater value than saving a few $).