Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Googled it. They increased it for the second half of 2022 to $.625/mile.
Based on the price of new and used cars, and the price of gasoline and diesel, the rate need to increase to 80 cents/mile to reflect the real costs. Or at least 75 cents/mile.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Just fueled up for $5.29 in Versailles Missouri. Prices here are going up again.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Diesel was £2.05.9 per litre today at one shell garage! Don't know why they're allowed to have 0.9pence, not like they're going to give you change of that lol

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Diesel was £2.05.9 per litre today at one shell garage! Don't know why they're allowed to have 0.9pence, not like they're going to give you change of that lol
Long time ago, the state of Iowa did away with the .9 for a while. Don't remember why or when they went back but think it had something to do with all the different taxes.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Maybe they'll get rid of the .9 if they need another digit on pumps when the price goes over $9.99.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
No, we'll just go to charging by liter. I remember back in the early 80s when gas first went above $1.00. Most stations started listing half gallon prices since they had no where to put the 1.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Down to $4.92 in Lake Wylie, SC. Yesterday morning, a few stations had rug at $3.97. By noon they had all gone back up to $4.05 and stayed there.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Fueled at Buc-ee's in SE Texas at $4/gallon this past Saturday August 13. I guess there are still some places in this area with up to 20% biodiesel:

I would say the average prices are more like $4.40/gallon in the surroundings.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
It looks like this will be a relatively calm hurricane season, so there might not be a dip in offshore crude production or refinery shutdowns.

But this is the season for increased demand for distillates and a widening spread between gasoline and distillates. More tractors and combines in the farm fields, trucks hauling grain to elevators, locomotives hauling grain to terminals, tugboats hauling grain to ports. More school buses on the roads. And more demand for heating oil in some parts of the US, and in Europe to replace the natural gas shortages.

We might be seeing the lowest prices until next spring.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
It looks like this will be a relatively calm hurricane season, so there might not be a dip in offshore crude production or refinery shutdowns.

But this is the season for increased demand for distillates and a widening spread between gasoline and distillates. More tractors and combines in the farm fields, trucks hauling grain to elevators, locomotives hauling grain to terminals, tugboats hauling grain to ports. More school buses on the roads. And more demand for heating oil in some parts of the US, and in Europe to replace the natural gas shortages.

We might be seeing the lowest prices until next spring.
In general I agree with your assessment with an asterisk next to the yet to come most active part of the hurricane season (*link)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In general I agree with your assessment with an asterisk next to the yet to come most active part of the hurricane season (*link)
That forecast was at least 11 days ago. No storms and right now there's nothing in the Atlantic. Each day that passes without a hurricane lessens the chances of an above-normal season.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Fueled at Buc-ee's in SE Texas at $4/gallon this past Saturday August 13. I guess there are still some places in this area with up to 20% biodiesel:

I would say the average prices are more like $4.40/gallon in the surroundings.
I saw a Citgo near me for 4.29.

Which Buc-ees? There are many in SE Texas and I need to fill up today. I can get to the one in Katy or the ones along Hwy 290 from Houston easy enough.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dropped down the $4.37 in SC but has stayed there for about a week. Down to half a tank in the truck, so hoping it creeps down a little more this week.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I saw a Citgo near me for 4.29.

Which Buc-ees? There are many in SE Texas and I need to fill up today. I can get to the one in Katy or the ones along Hwy 290 from Houston easy enough.
This Buc-ee's is in Galveston county near I-45.

I also fueled our newer Passat at Sam's Club yesterday at $3.70/gallon.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I might as well wait as long as I can as it's all going down. The Buc-ees at Muescke Rd was 4.39 yesterday, 4.19 if you get their super expensive carwash. Costco doesn't seem to sell diesel and I don't have a Sams Club membership.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I might as well wait as long as I can as it's all going down. The Buc-ees at Muescke Rd was 4.39 yesterday, 4.19 if you get their super expensive carwash. Costco doesn't seem to sell diesel and I don't have a Sams Club membership.
Actually Costco does sell diesel but at very few locations such as The Woodlands and Pearland in SE Texas region. The pumps are very fast/powerful; so much that is very hard to fill up to the top!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Actually Costco does sell diesel but at very few locations such as The Woodlands and Pearland in SE Texas region. The pumps are very fast/powerful; so much that is very hard to fill up to the top!
Sounds like those are commercial high-flow pumps with the large 1.1875" nozzles. They probably have them for the delivery trucks to fill up after a delivery to the store.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
$4.07 for RUG and $5.29 for diesel at the local Speedway.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Northern MN diesel is still at $4.97 locally, while regular unleaded "gas" (10% ethanol) is $3.84. A month ago the price spread was $1.20 /gallon.
Summer vacation/recreation season will soon be winding down but heating season coming up next excuse for high prices.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Local Costco doesn't carry diesel. Both Sam's local to me does (4 or 5 Sam's within reasonable distance, but next Costco is couple hours). NIMBYs are making sure of that.

$3.13 RUG @ Costco, regionally closer to $3.49-3.89 with a couple high volume stations close to Costco.
$4.57 D2 is best price locally, though some still selling $5.50 and up

Jason

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The September WTI crude oil futures contract has been trending downward since early June. But the ULSD contract has been in a trading range, not trending up or down, and is currently near the top of that range.

Also, the share prices of oil and oil services companies have been trading higher since early July, even as crude has dropped.

Lastly, according to the EIA, stocks of both gasoline and distillate fuels are very low.

So it seems likely that diesel prices will be going up, but I can't tell you when. Probably not going lower even if many industrial companies are heading into recession.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Low stocks
Diesel stocks in Europe, most easily tracked at the Amsterdam-Rotterdam-Antwerp refining hub, are at historic lows and at the lowest monthly average levels in over a decade. Backwardation continues to discourage storage of product.

Inventories elsewhere are heavily depleted, including at key hubs in the US and Singapore, as global diesel levels are well below recent averages. Platts Analytics has warned stocks are "not building fast enough ahead of harvest and heating seasons."

Demand on the rise
With winter approaching, demand for heating using diesel and rampant gas-to-oil switching, given the likelihood the global gas crisis will dwarf any difficulties in oil market tightness, will keep demand for the middle distillate stronger than economic conditions may otherwise suggest.

"The diesel crisis is far from over, but the drivers are changing as we head into shoulder season," said Mark Rossano, CEO of C6 Capital Holdings. "As winter comes into focus, the global market now has to contend with mother nature as storage is very low and people haven't even started using their heating."

Russian flows to fall
Russian gasoil exports to Europe are expected to drop as EU sanctions against imports of Russian products come into effect in February 2023.

Russia is a major exporter of diesel and gasoil, with Russian oil products accounting for well over a third of European oil imports.

Some market watchers are skeptical on the extent of the fall given the difficulties in tracking blending products, but with year-end EU curbs also set to hit the global shipping insurance market, there will indeed be uncertainty over tanker accessibility after December.

https://www.spglobal.com/commodityi...gs/oil/082322-fft-diesel-prices-demand-stocks

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I filled the truck on Monday for $4.25. Yesterday, we filled the JSW for $4.49. Same station. Bummer