Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Paid $2.42 for diesel in lake Wylie, SC this morning. Rug was $2.11.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I passed by a local Phillips 66 today and they had $3.43 posted for diesel.

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
Paid $2.95 minus $0.60 fuel points ($2.35) at Kroger yesterday. Three days ago it was $3.15 I had half a tank but I took my 4 five gallon cans in, bought 30 gallons.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Well it isn't any better evidence than word of mouth but the Infineum fuel report shows differently. From the 2018 report:

East coast Max/Mean/Min
Cetane Number 40 (min) 52 47 43

Midwest
Cetane Number 40 (min) 60 48 42

West coast
Cetane Number 40 (min) 78 53 46

And the only reasons the West Coast has such a high Max and Mean is due to Propel and Golden Gate Petroleum for the former and CARB Diesel for the latter.

That said however, the report is basically useless without listing brands and actual sources tested with their ratings.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
And the only reasons the West Coast has such a high Max and Mean is due to Propel and Golden Gate Petroleum for the former and CARB Diesel for the latter.

That said however, the report is basically useless without listing brands and actual sources tested with their ratings.
I said as much in my post. About as good as word of mouth. But at least the numbers they did come up with have some scientific backing behind them and there are names to go with it just not known to us. It also isn't an exhaustive sampling of stations either.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Most stations in the SC area of Charlotte are around the $2.79 mark. Good thing I've got a full tank on the truck and my wife doesn't start work until Monday.

mlmf

TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI
I love the GasBuddy app. I can look around for the prices of fuel and decide where I want to go. But I also use the GetUpside app. It has stations that are offering money back for filling up. Download it and use my code 9XZRF to get .15 cents off a gallon your first purchase. Its easy to do. Just look out for deals. Most of the time it is .01 off a gallon but right now there is a station near me that has .12 off a gallon. Takes the fuel from $2.71 a gallon to $2.59 a gallon.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Range is $2.79 - $2.99 in my neck of the woods. The local Love's being the higher price option, while my neighborhood Mobil Synergy is $2.79 and been holding steady for some time.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Paid like 3.81 I think last night at the pump in so cal. Was a Mobil station I believe. It’s getting to the point of not caring at all again. When it’s up closer to 4 is when people get annoyed. I need it anyway, driving 30-35k a year means a lot of stops lol. Just fewer with the diesel even if each fill up is more than a gasser. In Cali diesel is about 10 cents over premium I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
$2.53 for RUG and $2.99 for diesel at the local Speedway.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
2.33/g RUG but 2.99/g D2 at one station. RUG varies from 2.33 to 2.99 around here. A lot of Sam's fueling done for that reason.

Jason

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Here in San Diego, best price for Diesel is about $3.85
RUG is $3.29 at Costco. Plus I get 3% cash back with my Costco credit card.
Best deal is the night rate on electricity. 9 cents per kw to charge the 2018 Chevy Volt. About 16kw gives me 60miles of electrical range. Even on Gas only, the Volt gets just over 40 mpg. Electric driving cost is under 2.5 cents per mile. But annual registration is $550+.
Last year, California bumped up gas taxes and a bigger tax bump on Diesel. Purpose is to find road repairs and upgrade work. We are seeing lots of roadwork all over the state.
Still have my TDI Jeep Comanche pick up. It is great for Home Depot or Lowe's runs. But not really used a lot these day's for. Today it is loaded with scrap metal to recycle over the weekend. Sure love the turbo TDI, but it is not a real match for the zero RPM torque of the electric motor. The TDI needs 25 psi boost at 18/1900 rpm to match the Volt torque at zero RPM..
Long range is still an advantage to Diesel power. But my bladder puts a limit on that advantage.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Long range is still an advantage to Diesel power. But my bladder puts a limit on that advantage.

But even then it is only a 10 minute biobreak. I schedule one every 2 hours on long trips.

The price around the corner from me hasn't changed in months: still $3.39

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
But you're in Arizona now, right? Just basically the California Diesel tax difference, correct?

No, I'm still bouncing between the two: the $3.39 price is by Oroville, CA; in Prescott it is $2.89 at Costco and $3.09 at the ARCO next to Costco.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
There are now at least a dozen stations near me with diesel at $2.79 and lower. I do not remember the last time. The terminal price is down about 19 cents/gallon since January 1st, which is a lot since WTI crude is only down about $2/barrel. The tension with Iran was over too quickly to have any effect at the pump.

Why are diesel prices falling? Possibly because inventories have risen so much in the last few weeks. Why that's happening I cannot explain.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wonder if the refineries ramped up anticiapting more of an interruption from the Iran issues. Diesel around here hasn't changed much more than a few cents since Christmas.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After staying steady for several months at $3.399, the price at the station around the corner in Oroville has changed. It is now $3.299!

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
Saw Diesel for $2.72 in Chepachet Rhode Island the other day. Been a long time since I have seen Diesel that cheap around here.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
The prices I am seeing are confused. The Costco in Tukwila Washington just dropped from $3.05 to $2 99. A Shell station in Spanaway is up to $3.49.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This weekend was a little strange. Filled the JSW in Fort Mill, SC on Saturday at a QT for $2.67. Filled the truck in Lake Wylie, SC on Sunday at a different QT for $2.06. Rug at that station was down to $1.92. Driving around Fort Mill on Sunday, I saw diesel prices range about 20 cents but nothing close to what I paid on the other side of the lake.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
In northeast Wisconsin, diesel is generally around $2.80/gallon, some at $2.69/gallon. A Citgo I visit frequently due to unusually low diesel prices was at $2.53/gallon. Not sure why, but their fuel doesn't seem to cause any unusual symptoms (I typically put in a winter additive though).

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This weekend was a little strange. Filled the JSW in Fort Mill, SC on Saturday at a QT for $2.67. Filled the truck in Lake Wylie, SC on Sunday at a different QT for $2.06. Rug at that station was down to $1.92. Driving around Fort Mill on Sunday, I saw diesel prices range about 20 cents but nothing close to what I paid on the other side of the lake.
Are these stations company owned or franchises? If the latter, are there different franchisees?

What about the distance to a bulk fuel supplier or possibly different suppliers?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know the franchaise answers but as far as distance to depot, it would be within a mile, just slightly different routes. Both QTs and both built about the same time.

It always seems that one side of the lake is a few pennies cheaper than the other but 61 cents seems a little excessive.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know the franchaise answers but as far as distance to depot, it would be within a mile, just slightly different routes. Both QTs and both built about the same time.

It always seems that one side of the lake is a few pennies cheaper than the other but 61 cents seems a little excessive.

Both lake sides in the same tax jurisdiction? County? City?