SOS- car won't crank- warning lights- no code

Rossie Priory

TDI
B7 passat tdi140
Hello to this community I turn to in an hour of need!
No indication that there was a problem but my DSG140 bhp passat won't start and is showing the battery (alternator) and catalytic convertors warning lights and will not crank.
Local independent vw garage connected computer and no codes show up . Anybody experienced this before or can offer guidance to fix?
Many thanks.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Is the battery still good? I'd start there as if battery is weak/dead you won't get anywhere until it is charged up (assuming it can hold a charge) or replaced. Did your shop check the battery itself?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I'd break out VCDS and start with the simple things... is the body control module seeing the ignition key turn to start?

Is there power going to the starter motor?

-J

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Sounds like a battery to me.

I'd rule that out before I started panicking about all the other possibilities.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I had a similar, if not exact occurrence this afternoon. 2013, SEL, 44K. Never an issue, I did drain the battery one time over a year ago leaving the fogs on.
Anyway, ran up to the store, about 8 miles. Got to the parking lot and turned the car off and heard the regen fan working away. Figured, darn it, well I've already turned it off, guess I'll run in a pick up my shopping list. About 10 min later, I came out, regen fan still going strong. Tried to start the car, got a couple of weak cranks and had all kinds of warnings and codes, even the dash analog clock ran around. This happened about half a dozen times over the course of 15 mins. I took a break, walked around for a while and came back and tried to start and the car started up like normal. No residual warning lights and everything is normal. I'm thinking it was a marginal battery, and unless someone can offer another explanation, I'll be getting a new battery next week.
Anyone experience the same thing?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Experience has taught me that completely discharging a battery, even only once, compromises the life of the battery, especially with these "power hog" cars.
IMO, rustycat, disconnect your battery and fully charge it. When you connect your charger, you'll see very quickly how weak it is, by watching how long it takes to fully charge.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
tdi,
Thanks for your knowledgeable comments. I've decided to buy a new battery from VW, as I really think it the most prudent course, and I still haven't used the $500 VW dealer credit card.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
My '13 SEL was built in June 2012. Battery died last December after it sat in the shop/lot for a 3 weeks in the body shop, waiting on parts and replacing the DEF heater after a rat chewed up the soy based wire sheathing . Replaced it with a VW battery and no regrets, best warranty I could find. $125 more or less, no charge for the install. Driving in the Texas heat and the heavy demands from the TDI I have no complaints about the battery life. The OEM battery in my Forester lasted about 3 years before it croaked.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Well, replaced the battery today. $136 for the battery and $ 86 for putting it in. The fact that I used VW customer credit card probably cushioned the fees a bit, but, being an old guy, I'm surprised by the "install" fees dealers feel they can charge.

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
I had same issue and had to replace battery in 2013 Passat with 96k .

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
I am amazed that the dealer had the balls to charge you for a battery install!!! Batteries are batteries and a local battery shop would have treated you lots better $ wise.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I am amazed that the dealer had the balls to charge you for a battery install!!! Batteries are batteries and a local battery shop would have treated you lots better $ wise.
Yeah, that was my reaction too. I called 4 dealers in the greater Seattle area and every one of them charged a min. of $50. This one was the closest. Of course, if I didn't have the $500 CC from VW, I never would have purchased the battery, let alone paid someone to install it. But, hey.....I got a free car wash!!!

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
I'd say the OP's car came with a factory AGM because all the european B7 cars came with start/stop engines. The AGM batteries seem to rarely fail and last a longtime on them compared to the flooded type but the battery should be the first thing to check.