SOS amyone have a N75 valve near niagra falls?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
On a road trip in my newly rebuilt mk3. Of course now having problems. drove the last 250 miles with no turbo and had some electrical issues which I think I resolved, but still no turbo. Feeling like the only thing it could be now is the n75 somehow failed. Anyone near niagra falls or farther east in NY happen to have one, d-shaped connector? Today or tomorrow 😪

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
Well problem fixed! The main culprit ended up being my vacuum vane actuator was totally wedged Into to my rear passenger motor mount (the rubberized part not the aftermarket mount bracket) and had cracked. I did have some strange electrical issues from a bad ground solder joint as well that I managed to fix since I brought my soldering gun, but the problem seemed to be somewhat evolving my due to a couple factors.

But apparently when I was messing with my engine mounts to get the intermediate shaft in/out several times for clearancing to fit my forged rods during my engine rebuild i forgot to check the actuator as it had been a tight fit before. It somehow fit a little different going from my previous 17/22 to 1856. So it had been really tight up against the mount and after couple hundred miles got all screwed up and cracked.

Luckily there was an auto zone just around the corner from the motel that was open until 10pm, so while family was in bed I spent more time on the car. Managed to get old actuator out, got some brake cleaner, wire brush and jb weld and patched it. There was a utility truck with a vise on the back in the parking lot, which I used to bend the actuator bracket for better fitment.. All good now! Took some MacGyvering, but managed to get it to work. When I finally found the main problem, I thought I was done for 😄

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
There was some serious podding and MacGyvering going on. Wife getting very annoyed at me tearing the car apart, re-buying tools I already have, working late into the night on the car in hotel parking lots during our little family road trip. 😅 wish I had thought to look under the car at the actuator but was chasing some electrical gremlins too. The other week I accidentally fried some wires going to the trunk while trying to figure out why my alarm/locking isn't working quite right. So was worried the problem could have gone farther into the wiring than I thought and maybe that was causing my problems.

She's driving like a dream now, can't wait to put a few more miles on it for break-in and start really beating on it 😁

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
Bought one cheap 13$ multimeter that was dead out of the box, so return it, then bought a nice 75$ one ugh, now I have 4 multimeters. And a cheap harbor freight handheld vacuum tester (have mityvac at home) extra vac line. Made a new big brake booster line trying to chase my bad vacuum issues. I did bring my soldering gun and solder, and borrowed an extension cord to fix bad ground.. Glad I put a vacuum gage in my dash, that proved very useful. Lol...

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
There was some serious podding and MacGyvering going on. Wife getting very annoyed at me tearing the car apart, re-buying tools I already have, working late into the night on the car in hotel parking lots during our little family road trip. 😅 wish I had thought to look under the car at the actuator but was chasing some electrical gremlins too. The other week I accidentally fried some wires going to the trunk while trying to figure out why my alarm/locking isn't working quite right. So was worried the problem could have gone farther into the wiring than I thought and maybe that was causing my problems.
Reminds me of some of the stories I've been reading here:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Hack-Mechanic-assorted-automotive/dp/0998950742
The (other) Hack Mechanic lives one town away and I've been reading his stuff ever since I discovered and read his earlier book: https://www.amazon.com/Memoirs-Hack-Mechanic-Rob-Siegel/dp/0837617200
I even joined the BMW CCA just to read his weekly/monthly columns even though I don't - and probably never will - own a BMW.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I even joined the BMW CCA just to read his weekly/monthly columns even though I don't - and probably never will - own a BMW.
Too bad. BMW does have something that TDIs don't - being resistant to fire apparently. This BMW at the junkyard was marked as having a good engine and tranny. It does smell bad, though, and it's in between two ALHs.