Some recent mods on my TDI.........

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
Though i'd share some of the mods i've done this past month.

The white/cream headliner has always bothered me. I drive with my windows open often. The sunroof is always open, winter or summer, doesn't matter. Either full heat, or the A/C is cranked with the roof open. The cream headliner then gets dirty, and it doesn't clean up well.

Last weekend, stripped out the headliner and other bits:

20th/GLI black headliner:

Very happy with the result.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week before the headliner swap:

I take good care of the brakes, but i still manage to warp the rotors. So it was time to do something about it. Sourced a set of 20th/337 brakes, and headed up to Caledon Village to visit with our fellow TDI'er lanciaf1. He offered to help with the brake swap in his shop.

The car on the hoist, with the rear axle out:

20th/337 setup to go in. 12.3 vented fronts/10.1 vented rears:

Installed:

All done, rolling out with the stock setup in the trailer:

Today the antenna base was replaced, and the front/rear Aero wipers were installed.

New tires are next, then off to TDIfest..................

later,
Pete

Last edited:

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
lanciaf1 said:
Looks really good Pete, how much better is your braking now vs stock?
It's much better. Inspected it all on Thursday, and found my driver wheel showed signs of a brake fluid leak. The brake line bolt wet, so backed it off, retightened, and bled. It's all good now!

I really like your setup. If i move out to some property, i'm setting up shop like yours.

later,
Pete

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
you can't go wrong with the GLI/20th set up for brakes i did this 3 season's ago along with all my other major mods. :D

I only have a few more thing to complete to say that i am complete....maybe ;)

PS looks good pete....now get that rust fixed on the hood.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
je said:
OEM rears are solid.

Here is my old one:
Well I'll be dipped in chocolate, they are solid. Seems pretty odd since the rears do most of the braking...

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
jamieson32 said:
I think you're a little confused on that one.... it's the other way around.
Not on these cars actually, they have a rear brake bias.
My rears need doing twice as often as the front's.
At 188,000km, my rears were done 40k ago, and my front's have more than 50% life left on the originals.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
jamieson32 said:
I think you're a little confused on that one.... it's the other way around.
Nope, Bob was wrong on the rotor but is correct in saying the rears do most of the work.

Anyone know the exact brake bias? You'd think VW would have put vented disks in the back..

Pete, any issues with steelies over those rears now?

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
I wonder if it would help just putting vr6/1.8t brakes on teh front and GLI brakes on the rear

then you'd have 11.3 in the front and 10.1 in the back, plus a vented rotor

Plus you could still run 15s all the way around, if you wanted to

Last edited:

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition
REDNECKDZL said:
I wonder if it would help just putting vr6/1.8t brakes on teh front and GLI brakes on the rear

then you'd have 11.3 in the front and 10.1 in the back, plus a vented rotor

Plus you could still run 15s all the way around, if you wanted to
I don't think you can fit 15's on the Rear of a GLI I think the Vented rear rotors require 16's. Don't quote me on this but I have been looking to do this mod as well. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a4/BBupgrade.htm

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
LNXGUY said:
Nope, Bob was wrong on the rotor but is correct in saying the rears do most of the work.

Anyone know the exact brake bias? You'd think VW would have put vented disks in the back..

Pete, any issues with steelies over those rears now?
I'm sure they will fit over the rears, but the issue is the front. I tried my spare tire on the front, and they are not even close to fitting. So i'm on the lookout for a set of 16' steelies to run this winter.

I went through 2 sets of front brakes before replacing the rear. I'm surprised to hear the rear is biased more.

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition
petea4 said:
I'm sure they will fit over the rears, but the issue is the front. I tried my spare tire on the front, and they are not even close to fitting. So i'm on the lookout for a set of 16' steelies to run this winter.

I went through 2 sets of front brakes before replacing the rear. I'm surprised to hear the rear is biased more.
They are Rear biased depending on your driving style, if your passive the car mainly will it use the rear, but if you brake hard a lot, the front brakes come into play. I still have the original front brakes with 136,000km rears I changed at 90,000km. Still and have good feel and no fade.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
Guys, the brakes look amazing. However, they are not a signifact upgrade unless you drive the car harder. Of all my mods, the GLI brake upgrade could be the biggest dissapointment. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it again, cause they look amazing with my Aristos! Oh, another thing, your handling will take a turn for the worse. Cheers!

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I'm just looking for less wear and tear on a 10.1 inch vented rotor compared to a 9.4 inch solid..

Better braking, less warping, longer life, etc etc..

odinsjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
JettaSportTDi said:
I don't think you can fit 15's on the Rear of a GLI I think the Vented rear rotors require 16's. Don't quote me on this but I have been looking to do this mod as well.
15" wheels will for sure not fit with 10.1" vented rotors. Well, they fit but the wheel doesn't turn very nicely. For some reason the caliper is very thick and takes up alot of space. If it was designed more like the front, no problem. Maybe to incorporate the emergency brake? Aluminum instead of cast iron?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Any chance of grinding down the caliper? I would have assumed that the rears would be very similar to the stock 10.4 vented front setup, which a 15 fits over just fine.

odinsjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
LNXGUY said:
Any chance of grinding down the caliper? I would have assumed that the rears would be very similar to the stock 10.4 vented front setup, which a 15 fits over just fine.
Not sure if you could or not. Front calipers are very tight to the rotors and don't add much to the overall diameter of the braking system. The rear calipers probably add ~2" from the 10.1" setup. They are much larger than the stock calipers. You sure wouldn't need to take much off to get them to work with 15" wheels, maybe 1/2" or less.

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
TDIMAXIMA said:
Guys, the brakes look amazing. However, they are not a signifact upgrade unless you drive the car harder. Of all my mods, the GLI brake upgrade could be the biggest dissapointment.
You must have not spent much time with the OEM setup. These are much better, loving them. I hammered on them today after some dumbass changed lanes from his stopped lane to my moving lane. I stopped in time, but a little voice in my head said, "damn... with the stockers, could have had a nice respray!" :eek: :D

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
Both Omega and myself agree that initial stopping performance is the same. I switched brakes when my stock ones were new. if yours were very old, maybe you are just noticing the fact you have new brakes period. My 0.02.