Some interesting factory electrical relays I have found

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
I have been doing some wiring projects and have found various factory relays that can be used (if you want to go OEM style), that of course are designed and tested to be used in the car environment. These all plug into the standard VW relay boxes

First up we have:

Relay "79" - 191 927 841

Bora boot release; also solar sunroof on Passat

Same as the famous generic "Bosch" relay with switching output between 87 and 87A terminals.

Secondly we have:

Relay "381" - 431 951 253 G

Passat foglight relay

This relay has an internal diode included between terminal 86 and 85 (relay coil) circuit to prevent voltage feedback (and clicking noise). Note: Passat foglight relay is wired differently to the Golf in the vehicle.

Thirdly (this is the best one I found :) ):

Relay "434" - 1C0 941 597

Right hand drive New Beetle flasher /dipper "relay" (only fitted on RHD New Beetle and RHD Audi TTs)

This relay can be used to convert a momentary switch pulse into a constant output from the relay. i.e this is a latching relay

e.g. you could use, say, the VW interior light switch out of a taxi (with the momentary action) to run something like footlights, as many people do.

You press the momentary action dash switch once and the relay will lock on and feed the relay output with constant power. You press the switch again and the relay will disengage, turning off the power.

There is also another input to the relay that will also disengage the relay if the supply is cut.i.e. the relay will also unlatch if this supply is cut (so you cannot accidently leave the accessory on if you leave the vehicle)

This could be used, for example, wired to 86s key sensor circuit, so that your new accessory switches off when the key is removed, even if you have left your switched accessory "on".

If you wire the relay to the CCM output T23/20, then the accessory will turn off when the CCM goes into sleep mode. This is the supply that controls the luggage compartment light, for example, that switches it off after an hour or so, if you leave the hatch open.

Pins are labelled:

2/30 - required voltage supply to accessory e.g usually battery 30 power
4/31 - earth
5/56 - This is where the feed wire goes that is required to keep the relay latched when you push the switch - if this supply is interrupted the relay will unlatch and the accessory will turn off.
6/LU - the pulsed input- this is the connection from your momentary switches output
8/56a - this is the constant output to your accessory - when the relay is engaged power flows from Pin 2 to Pin 8

Just a background to this relay which may help to explain how it functions.

I had a Right Hand drive (of course!;) ) TDi New Beetle loaner from the dealer and when I went to use the high beam lever on the steering column you could not push the stalk towards the dash at all - you can only pull it towards you. (I believe that on your LHD versions you can "pull to flash" and push to lock on high beam...same as Golf...so consequently no separate relay on LHD New Beetles)

I am thinking they have just done this as the stalk is very close to the centre of the dash on the right hand drive - the stalk is still on the left side of the wheel.

I discovered that there is a special changeover relay for highbeam for RHD only New Beetles.(It is not actually a relay as such but a proper electronic control unit but with the standard relay pinouts)

If you pull the stalk towards the wheel with the low beams on, then it actually switches over to high beam and you have to pull the flasher lever again to go back to low beam (i.e. you cannot just "flash" high beam - it locks on).
This was the same on the old aircooled beetles (if you ever had one!).

Also once you switch off the engine, the relay reverts to the low beam. (so the hi-beam doesn't just stay latched on - which the old aircooled beetles used to do - if you turned the lights on a week later for example and it was it high beam position it came back on.)

One other point to note is that when the lights are turned off (say during daytime driving) you can flash the highbeam by pulling back on the stalk and it will just flash (it will not stay locked in the highbeam position). However, when doing the same at night it stays in the high beam position and must be flicked again to turn it back off.

Hence the labelling on the relay pins 5/56 is a connection to the headlight switch - if the light switch is not on then the flasher relay did not lock "on" - as I have tried to explain above. Also, when the ignition is turned off, the headlight switch terminal 56 also loses power and cuts power to the latched relay, resetting it (so the high beam is not on next time you switch on the lights)

Here is a schematic of how it is wired in the New Beetles- easier to visualise - very easy to adapt to other functions:

As you can see this relay may have some useful applications for those factory momentary switches such as the "Taxi interior light" and "Gas" switches, if you want to convert them to on/off switch function.

Late breaking news, just found this one:

Touareg Voltage Monitoring Relay for Multi Media System J813 - Part number 7L9 919 433

"The multimedia system is switched off by the voltage monitoring relay whenever the voltage falls below 10.7 V. The multimedia system is switched off by the voltage monitoring relay after about 20 minutes if the ignition is switched off and the multimedia system is switched on. Both measures are intended to protect the vehicle battery from being discharged and to prevent malfunctions to the multimedia system due to undervoltage".

Looks pretty simple to wire up -

30 - Battery voltage
15 -Ignition signal
31 - Earth
and just an output supply voltage to your monitored accessory.

Could be useful for something!

Hope some of the above information may be useful for someones projects.

:)

Last edited:

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Wow - that is some good sleuthing, graeme! Nice finds.

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's another one:

Relay "206" - 431 951 253 F

New Beetle foglight relay (models with gas discharge headlamps)

This one is only rated at 20 Amps, but it is a "close contact relay".

i.e. current passes until the relay is energised.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
That Touareg one sounds like a good one for my Webasto.

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
Hi graeme... interesting realy 434... In fact, I was looking exactly for something like that... In my car (passat B5), I have installed a 8 sensors parktronic, front/rear... I bought VW Sharan front parktronic push-button, that goes at the warning blinkers position (right-top). I moved the warning switch to the dash, between the central vents, by replacing the vents by the ones built for skoda superb... But this is not a switch, it is a push-button... so I will definitely buy this relay to be used for that purpose... so when I push the parktronic button, it will energize the relay and the parktronic module (power for front sensors)... and with a second push, it will disable it... I will use pin 5/56 to stop the latch with a simple module that will keep +12 volts when the car is under 20 km/h (by using the GALA signal) Thanks a lot for the finding!

Last edited:

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
graeme86 said:
Miguel -you will need the "434" - 1C0 941 597 to do that. ;)

Graeme
You are right, thanks ;) I will edit so that none gets confused with my post

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
relay numbers

graeme86 you gave numbers for the various relays, but you only called them "factory" and never listed a brand. Are these Bosch, Beru, or someone else's?
I am especially interested in the #79 relay in the 2000 Jetta that controls the trunk (boot or rear lid depending on your brand of English).

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
When I say "factory", I just mean the OEM supplied relay from a VW dealer.

The one I have here has the VW Audi symbol on it and no "name" brand on it - just a bunch of numbers.

The one I have here has markings:

VW 0000
191 927 841
V23134-A52-X196
SN7
>PA66-GF25<
Made in Portugal

The "79" relay is very similar to the famous Bosch Relay with the 5 pins labelled 30, 85, 86, 87 and 87a and would do the same job (unless, for some reason, you require the extra diode controlled input 30a I mentioned)

See my Webspace for full details of the internal wiring.

casland

TDI
N/A
Sorry to reply to this post 10 years later !

Anyone know where I can locate the 434 Headlight Flasher Replay in a 1999 RHD New Beetle ?

The high beam headlights on my NB flash ok from headlight stalk switch during the day when dipped are off, but do not come on at all at night time when dipped are switched on. I think this means the 434 needs replacing. However, I can't find the 434 headlight flasher latching relay anywhere in the New Beetle. I have looked under dash under steering wheel area and found the the 5/6 position relay panel ( which from left to right has the 55, 100, gap, 409, 377 ) and the 13 position additional relay panel ( which is all unwired apart from position 11 which has the 94 relay ). I have looked around the flasher stalk switch area as found 1 post suggesting it was behind the steering wheel. I looked under the bonnet where I found a relay box behind the fresh air filter box, but only had the 100 relay and empty unwired position.

I am also running blind as the Bentley and Hayes manual circuit diagrams apparently only cover LHD as there is no mention of the headlight flasher latching relay. I was unable to find circuit diagram for RHD lighting, although this thread mentions one above, New_Beetle_RHD_Schematic.jpg, but no longer resolves 13 years later.

Please spare a moment to help, it would be greatly appreaciated.

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Fixed the link to schematic for 434 in RHD New Beetle.

434 relays at wrecker were always in the auxiliary 13-position relay plate under the dash.

I did note some cars did not have one though.

They would only be fitted if the high beam (indicator) stalk can only be pulled towards the steering wheel in a momentary fashion.

If the stalk can be pushed away and locked like a normal Golf / Jetta stalk, then you would not need the relay.

Only RHD cars used the 434 anyway as there was insufficient room to push the stalk towards the dash comfortably, so they just fitted a pull up stalk.

casland

TDI
N/A
I finally found the headlight latching relay behind the 13 position relay panel clipped to the wheel arch. It was quite hard to spot.

It turned out to be labelled 128 ( 7M0 941 597 ) with 7 pins and large. It measured 6 cm x 4 cm x 3 cm around double the width of other relays and was similar to the 377 in format. I'm guessing this why it was not clipped into one of the free slots in the 13 position relay as would need a non existing double width slot.

The 128 I found for sale said for 1999-2001 New Beetle ( and 1996-20 Sharan ), so I'm perhaps 128 was used for earlier RHD models, and later models used the 434.