SOLD! 2005 Passat Wagon, TDI, Auto, Leather, Sunroof, Wood, 44K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatpix

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon Auto Miami Area
(CAR SOLD FULL ASKING PRICE 12/14) Dr. Jim bought this car when he retired in 2005 and earlier this year he decided it was best if he didn't drive so he and his wife Pat sold it to me with 31,554 miles. I put miles on it so it now has 44k miles. The car is Silver with Grey Leather interior. It is a factory stock car with no modifications. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and am aware that Gunther VW could do some mods but I chose to leave it alone. I think he chose all the options of Wagon, TDI, Auto, Leather, Sunroof, Wood and he paid like $28,000 out the door and I have all of that paperwork. The car is in exceptional condition and registered with clear title here in Ft. Lauderdale (Miami), Florida. There is one small dent that a dent removal person could easily remove but it really didn't bother me. The car is driven regularly and I am asking $15,000 and I'm pretty firm on that. The car has no paint work and never been in an accident. I have had the oil changed and have that receipt. With respect to the previous maintenance records this was her email response to that request: "I had those things and I through them out when I was cleaning up the car. Sorry, I did not think they were important…New tires, oil and filter changes. There was one recall and I left that in the glove compartment. (That was a long time ago).
I am sorry but I don’t have any records. Pat" I prefer to wait until someone wishes to pay what I am asking and if you wish to pay $15,000 then please call me at 561-346-2816 as I am patient to get my price. Thank You. Tom McD.
I did an Autocheck on the car today and it comes up with no accidents, etc.
Report Run Date: October 17, 2014 8:34:08 PM EDT
Volkswagen
Autocheck
Class:
Engine:
Country of Assembly:
Vehicle Age: N/A
Calculated Owners: N/A
VIN: WVWCE63895E093772
Year :
Make : Volkswagen
Model:
Style/Body:
This Vehicle's AutoCheck Score
This vehicle has no Score.
There is no AutoCheck Score available for this vehicle.
This vehicle qualifies for Buyback Protection
buyback
Safeguard your investment with AutoCheck Buyback Protection. It reduces the risk in buying a used vehicle.
About Buyback Protection
Accident Check
Reported accidents: 0
Title and Problem Check
Your vehicle checks out:
Odometer Check
Your vehicle checks out:
Last Reported Odometer: 31,554
Vehicle Use and Event Check
No vehicle use reported
View Detailed History
Accident Check
Not all accidents / issues are reported to AutoCheck
checks_out Your vehicle checks out: There have been no accidents reported to AutoCheck for this Volkswagen (WVWCE63895E093772). AutoCheck receives its accident data from government sources and independent agencies, and based on the information available to us, we have found that no accidents have been reported on this vehicle. Not all accidents or damage events are reported to AutoCheck.
Title and Problem Check
checks_out Your vehicle checks out: AutoCheck's database for this Volkswagen (WVWCE63895E093772) shows no negative titles or other problems. When reported to AutoCheck, these events can indicate serious past damage or other significant problems, and disqualifies the vehicle for AutoCheck Buyback Protection. Check the Vehicle Use and Event Check for reported accidents that can affect vehicle safety and value.
0 Problem(s) Reported: 15 Title/Problem areas checked:
image No abandoned title record
image No damaged title or major damage incident record
image No fire damaged title record
image No grey market title record
image No hail damage title record
image No insurance loss title or probable total loss record
image No junk or scrapped title record
image No manufacturer buyback/lemon title record
image No odometer problem title record
image No rebuilt/rebuildable title record
image No salvage title or salvage auction record
image No water damaged title record
image No NHTSA crash test record
image No frame/unibody damage record
image No recycling facility record
Odometer Check
checks_out Your vehicle checks out: AutoCheck examined the reported odometer readings reported to AutoCheck for this Volkswagen (WVWCE63895E093772) and no indication of an odometer rollback or tampering was found. AutoCheck uses business rules to determine if reported odometer readings are significantly less than previously reported values. Not all reported odometer readings are used. Title and auction events also report odometer tampering or breakage.
0 Problem(s) Reported: Mileage Date Reported
image 31,554 06/03/2014
Vehicle Use and Event Check
image No Additional Information Reported: AutoCheck shows no additional vehicle uses or events reported to AutoCheck for this Volkswagen (WVWCE63895E093772). This includes reported vehicle uses such as rental or lease, and events such as whether the vehicle has been reported to have had a loan/lien or duplicate title issued. Other events show if the vehicle has a reported accident and how many calculated accidents or if it has been reported stolen or repossessed. It is recommended to have pre-owned vehicles inspected by a third party prior to purchase.
0 Event(s) Reported: 6 Vehicle uses checked:
image No fleet, rental and/or lease use record
image No taxi use record
image No police use record
image No government use record
image No livery use record
image No driver education record
0 Event(s) Reported: 9 Vehicle events checked:
image No accident record reported through accident data sources
image No corrected title record
image No duplicate title record
image No emission/safety inspection record
image No loan/lien record
image No fire damage incident record
image No repossessed record
image No theft record
image No storm area registration/title record
Detailed Vehicle History
Autocheck Below are the historical events for this vehicle listed in chronological order. Any discrepancies will be in bold text.
Report Run Date: October 17, 2014 8:34:08 PM EDT
Vehicle: Volkswagen (WVWCE63895E093772)
Event Date Event Location Odometer Reading Data Source Event Detail
06/03/2014 FL
Motor Vehicle Dept. ODOMETER READING FROM DMV
06/03/2014 FORT LAUDERDALE, FL

Last edited:

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Honestly, I think you will be waiting a good while at that price.
April 2010, I bought my PW w/46k for 18k and it already had the 3k BSM conversion.
Time alone is a significant factor in depreciation.
Your car is also due for a timing belt change- about another 1k.
The right buyer may feel differently.
GLWS

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Sounds like a great car ! Most TDI enthusiasts would be very interested, but on this website we are pretty educated and we already know this car inside and out as to its many quirks and mechanical issues / problems.

The balancer shaft upgrade and the timing belt are necessary and expensive repairs that will need to be performed on this car.

Here is opinion: It is a ten year old car. It will need the balancer shaft upgraded from chain to gear drive and it is due for the complete timing belt service, fresh coolant change, transmission service and brake fluid flush. With tens years on the age of the vehicle and the low mileage; I will assume it needs tires as they are most likely the original tires. A new battery is also a safe bet.

Balancer shaft upgrade -- $3000
Timing belt service ---- $1000
Tires--- $700
Battery--- $120
Misc--- Motor mounts leaking etc ?

It will need $4500-5000 in service work based on its age and the known issues with the BHW engine.

In my mind this is an $8500-9000 car and that is far more generous than any dealership would allow on dealer trade or pay for this car.

Banks and credit unions typically do not loan money on ten year old cars.
It would be a non traditional loan based on the age of the vehicle.

I.E--- Your buyer is a cash buyer and most likely not as TDI educated as the forum of members on this website.

Last edited:

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
Deming .You nailed it

and don't forget the TC while you @ it

Bought My wife the same car with all that done to it @ 5K less . 15k is no GOOOO

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
At $8k, you put 4k into it- 12k investment is about right, if you are willing to keep it for the long haul. It could be an excellent value at the right price.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Regardless of the dollar amount to bring this car up to TDIClub specs it will command a premium for the low low.miles.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Regardless of the dollar amount to bring this car up to TDIClub specs it will command a premium for the low low.miles.
If it was brought up to specs, it's probably worth 12-13k here, which is a premium price for its vintage. Elsewhere, it may still bring that amount without attention. 15k + 4k won't work too well for a 10yo car.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Sounds like a great car ! Most TDI enthusiasts would be very interested, but on this website we are pretty educated and we already know this car inside and out as to its many quirks and mechanical issues / problems.

The balancer shaft upgrade and the timing belt are necessary and expensive repairs that will need to be performed on this car.

Here is opinion: It is a ten year old car. It will need the balancer shaft upgraded from chain to gear drive and it is due for the complete timing belt service, fresh coolant change, transmission service and brake fluid flush. With tens years on the age of the vehicle and the low mileage; I will assume it needs tires as they are most likely the original tires. A new battery is also a safe bet.

Balancer shaft upgrade -- $3000
Timing belt service ---- $1000
Tires--- $700
Battery--- $120
Misc--- Motor mounts leaking etc ?

It will need $4500-5000 in service work based on its age and the known issues with the BHW engine.

In my mind this is an $8500-9000 car and that is far more generous than any dealership would allow on dealer trade or pay for this car.

Banks and credit unions typically do not loan money on ten year old cars.
It would be a non traditional loan based on the age of the vehicle.

I.E--- Your buyer is a cash buyer and most likely not as TDI educated as the forum of members on this website.
Great post, but $700 for Tires?

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Don't you just love it when people sign up here just to sell a car for very inflated price and think they are going to make a killing off the chumps here.
This guy is just a flipper. Not sure I would trust the time of day from his post. Stick to Craigslist.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't you just love it when people sign up here just to sell a car for very inflated price and think they are going to make a killing off the chumps here.
This guy is just a flipper. Not sure I would trust the time of day from his post. Stick to Craigslist.
I almost bought a B5.5 off of CL, car checked out to, but he was being kinda shady with the title, would only give me copy of front, wouold do legit bill of sale, which Credit union wanted because he was one of the independent dealers by trying to pawn off as independent seller (he used a NC dealer tag for me to drive car) So it would have been a real hassle, CU would have given me Personal loan and then refinanced into auto once titled in my name. But that owuld be a hassle. If you See a 2005 Grey Passat on CL in Alexandria Va for $6200, that is it.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
That's why I asked about the oil. A guy who is trying to sell a car for $15,000 but won't spend a hundred bucks to pull a dent deserves scrutiny.

Doing the work yourself, a balance shaft delete with a new timing belt will set you back a little over $500 and only around $1500 (guess) if done by a shop. That's a substantial savings from the $4000 figures quoted above.

KBB private party has it around $12,000 drooping to 8,000 as the mileage increases to 100,000. If he keeps driving at a the 30k miles a year pace. It's going to very quickly turn into the $8000 vehicle everyone is talking about. I personally think it can be sold for more, though nowhere near $15k. But to the right buyer who knows?

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
Also. The Passat I refered too had a valvoline sticker for oil change ( Valvoline has their own shops here in PDRMd, elsewhere I am sure But does Valvoline have a 505.01 or a TDT equivolent?

winter

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (for sale) 2011 Sportwaggy
I wholeheartedly think that anyone can post any price for anything and shouldn't have their balls busted. If you don't like the price or the vehicle, keep scrolling along until you find what you are looking for. Yeah, the price is awful strong especially w/o the BSM service and belt. We all know it is barely a 5 figure car. The best critique of this car and its price is it will be for sale for a very long time and/or sell for proper money someday. However, I will note that my nearly outstanding 04 passat waggy with 360k miles sold for mid $7k range. However, that included BSM, new VW trans, belt, hoses, W8 lighting and other expensive mods. So who knows?

boatpix

TDI
Owner Speaks

I'm not a flipper. I've owned it and put like 12k miles on it. Some of these replies to the thread have been sort of insulting. I wish those to apologize to me. I have a pilot in Connecticut that is a VW tech and advised me on maintenance, his opinions and can do the heavy maintenance at anytime. Another mechanic on my payroll changed the oil. You may be able to see the dent and you might not. Many might not see the dent. I thought that some enthusiast might want to do the maintenance themselves or have there shop do it, or choose not to do it when it is there car. My chief pilot flew in from Denver and needed the car so he's been driving it for the last week. That sort of bothered a local buyer but I seem to recall that it is my car and when I bought it I didn't finance it and it would seem likely that a person financing a car would buy a new one and I didn't expect a buyer for this car to finance it. Apologies, please.

boatpix

TDI
I will ask the mechanic what grade and make of oil used but I don't think any of the regulars here will buy the car nor was the advert intended for them. Also, note that the original post made reference to new tires earlier this year as that was brought up in a later post.

On another note, I recently bought a 1994 Mercedes four passenger convertible for $20,000. It has 28,000 miles and was kept in sort of a private museum. A good deal in my opinion for a low mileage, coach built and perfect 20 year old car that was $80,000 new and they built 3000 worldwide over 3 years. So I bought the car because I liked it. A friend of mine said I couldn't make any money, but he is a used car dealer and looked at it from the perspective of trying to make money. I didn't buy it to make money in the short run but I thought it would be a nice car to take another couple out to dinner such that if it rained we had the top up and if it was nice the top would be down. And I thought in the long run that someone else would find it appealing when it was time to sell. I just like nice cars. I grew up with beaters. I don't want a beater. Buy a car from me when I'm done with it and you have a nice car. I bought the Mercedes a couple of months ago but have been busy and my employees have been busy so my own personal Freightliner will pick it up on Monday as bring it from Fleetwood, PA (home of the former Fleetwood Body portion of Cadillac). The reason I decided to sell the 2005 Passat is I drove it back to back with a 2005 Lexus ES330 i recently bought to help a relative simplify a deal to buy a dark red Lexus LS460. I have a white LS460, too. I sort of prefer in many respects the smaller tires on the lower powered Lexus ES330 as when the LS went from 4.3 Liter to 4.6 Liter is picked up 100 horses (about that of the TDI) and went to higher speed rating tires. My preference was the Lexus ES330 to the Passat TDI but this is a TDI forum and if you understand the previous poster sold a 360,000 mile example for $7,000 I think mine is a better deal for twice that with only 15% of the miles. You pay your money and you take your choice, right? So, if you want a pre 2006 Passat with the significantly expensive options of: 1. TDA 2. Auto. 3. Wagon. 4. Leather. 5. Sunroof. 6. Wood and if you don't like the color of Silver/Gray you can probably put a wrap on it and change the color. Or not.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Expensive options:
1: TDI (expensive to maintain as well, but even more expensive to not maintain well
2: auto: was mandatory with the TDI, not optional
3: wagon: not a "option" per se, but probably did command a premium over the sedan.
4: leather: real leather or the perforated vinyl called "leatherette"?
5: sunroof: mandatory option on the 2005 TDI. There was no choice.
6: wood trim: kind of tacky in my opinion, a big slab on the dash, a plasticky wood grain on the auto shift knob, and a sliver of wood on the doors.

So what you have there is a relatively ordinary GLS trim 2005 Passat TDI wagon.
I had one ("harvest beige" with dark gray leather, wood trim, sunroof, wagon, yadda-yadda) and I thought it was the greatest thing.
Note that I don't have it any more.

boatpix

TDI
The oil change invoice says "Castrol Synthetic Oil Spec 50501" and was included in the "40,000 miles service" at Gunther VW here in Ft. Lauderdale. They replaced Fuel Filter, Pollen Filer, Air Filter and also another "Filter Element". Did a 29 point inspection. Also replaced the wiper blades. I have the itemized receipt for $501.79 if anyone is a buyer. I can also take pictures and send to a buyer. I surveyed five people and they couldn't see the dent that I could see until I pointed it out to them.

R.A.R

TDI
Current: Silver 2012 Touareg TDI Executive. Gone:1996 White Passat B4, 1996 Green Passat B4, 2002 Gold Euro-Spec Passat B5, 2014 Passat TDI SEL
Like Ghostrider said, pictures sell cars..

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
YEP, that appears to be the same car and the same exact VIN #

If the balancer shaft and the timing belt were freshly updated; his price would be fairly reasonable.

Hard to spend that kind of money (premium price) and then dump another $4000+ into the car.

Its an $8000-8500 car as it sits.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
why would you take pictures of your car in a parking lot with other cars around it?

SCAM ALERT, SCAM ALERT!

Status
Not open for further replies.