SOLD: 2000 Beetle TDI GLS 1.9L - 5 Speed Manual - 93k mi on Engine (260k mi on Body) - Mass/Boston metrowest - $4000

henry2000

TDI
2000 New Beetle 5 speed manual
Hi all, hope I’m doing this right, if not, I’m happy to add/edit!

FS: 2000 Beetle TDI GLS 1.9L 5 Speed Manual (turbo diesel)
93k miles on engine, 260,366 on body. $4000. In Massachusetts (Boston metrowest)
Silver w/ black interior. No sunroof.

Link to many more photos below:

Major things that have been replaced:
- Newer engine: At 191,806 miles (2015), I replaced the original engine with one from a 99 Jetta with 24k miles on it, so the current engine now has under 93,000 miles on it.
-New tires (Michelin Defender T+H A/S) 2019. Wheels aligned after.
-New air conditioner compressor 2017.
-New timing belt & clutch (when engine was replaced) 2015, so timing belt & clutch have 68,560 mi
-New rear brakes (calipers, rotors, pads) 2021, front brakes (new rotors & pads, calipers serviced) 2014

This has been my daily driver since I bought it in 2009 at 107k miles. I get 45 mpg every tank currently & have gotten as much as 53 mpg (whole tank on the interstate). I don’t think I’ve ever done less than 42 mpg in the worst conditions. Drives well, no codes/lights on. Some looseness/play in the steering in the right front but that’s it. Heat & AC work great. Oregon car through 2010 (no road salt/sand) & Mass since 2011. Came to me w/ heated seats, 4 mudflaps, & an aluminum skid plate. I put in a FrostHeater engine coolant heater (thanks for the recommendation, TDIClub forums!). Full synthetic oil only, changed every 5000 miles or close to it. I have most service records back to 2005, including from the previous owner. I do have all service records since 2011 but I didn’t keep my oil change receipts from Oregon in 2009-2010. Clean title. Garage kept from Jan 2016 until May 2022 when I ran out of room. Massachusetts inspection done 5/11/22 so has a sticker through May 2023.

Other new parts:
Right rear wheel ABS speed sensor (2021)
Left CV axle/half shaft (2021)
Right tie rod end (2019)
ECU relay (2019)
Glow plugs (2020, harness in 2013)
Front strut assemblies (2019)
Door lock actuator assembly (2017)
Front lower ball joints, right & left (2016)
*Rear bumper (2015)
Serpentine belt (2014)
Right & left E-brake cables (2014)
Water pump, timing component, thermostat, housing (2010)

*Rear bumper was replaced after car was rearended at a stop sign. In a line of stopped cars, car behind me started to go before I could. The bumper & license plate lamps were the only things damaged. It went through the other car’s insurance & I have the records from the body shop.

There are dings, scratches, & chips on the exterior & imperfections on the interior, as would be expected of a 22 year old car that’s used daily. For example, the upholstery on the left edge of the driver’s seatback is worn & the foam is exposed (where your arm is), the headliner has come loose from the ceiling, one of the 12-volt outlets doesn’t work, and the glove box stays closed but only latches on 1 side. There’s also rust visible on the “running boards” & probably other places I can’t see given that it’s been in New England since 2011. But likely much less rust than a 22 year old car that didn’t spend the 1st half of its life in Oregon. If you want a comprehensive list of all the issues I can think of, let me know. Also see lots of photos of the cosmetic stuff in the album linked above.

I have 2 keyless entry/car alarm units & 1 valet key. 1 of the keyless entry units needs a new battery, the other one works fine. Both units’ “switch blade” ignition keys have detached from the clicker but I do have both switch blade keys. I use the keyless entry to lock/unlock & the valet key for the ignition but you could also do everything with the valet key. Both units no longer stay closed without electrical tape (batteries would fall out). See a photo of the key situation in the album linked above.

Comes with WeatherTech floor liners in front & Husky floor liners in the back & cargo area. Also comes with Covercraft Dashmat dashboard cover & Duragear seat covers for the back seats & 1 of the front seats if desired. And assorted extra bulbs (headlight, tail light, brake light). Selling because I wanted something with AWD—the Beetle is usually good in the snow & ice but I live at the top of a steep hill, & if it hasn’t been plowed recently it’s slippery going up it.

Last edited:

henry2000

TDI
2000 New Beetle 5 speed manual
Beetle sold today. Thanks to all of you for your help all these years- this forum is the first place I went with any TDI questions. I also really appreciate the good advice on what to include in my ad. I posted it in various places & it sold on Craigslist & 2 other people (also from Craigslist) wanted to come see it too. Thanks again!