SOLD!!! 1996 Passat TDI wagon. SOLD!!!!

Gusman

TDI
B4V
1996 Emerald Green Pearl. 297,xxx miles. Clean title

This car has been my daily driver for over a year. I bought it from a loving but non-mechanical owner who provided service records and receipts going back to 2003. It needed a new starter and the intake manifold cleaned.

The highlights:

Injection pump rebuilt at 159,617
New clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, resurfaced flywheel, CV axles replaced at 262,653
New timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, v-belt, tensioners, rollers, harmonic balancer, clutched alt pulley at 281,743
New Bilstein TC shocks front and rear, tie-rods and boots, brake pads replaced at 290,xxx
New Bridgestone Ecopia (not my favorite but should last a long time)
All 4 door handles work perfectly.
Tinted windows. Older but high quality tint job.
Very nice dark cloth interior. A couple small blemishes but owned by people without kids since at least 2002 :)
Cargo cover included.
Original owners manual.
Comes with a box of new and used spare parts.
It's 25 years old! The state now considers this a classic car!

The lowlights:
Clearcoat peeling/faded, paint scratched, front fenders dinged and dented. (Replacement bumper cover included if desired)
Nice clear fuel lines should be replaced soon due to rubbing on timing belt cover :(
Occasional limp mode/boost reduction, easily reset by turning ignition off and on again
Cruise control doesn't work (may be an easy fix, I've never bothered trying)
Sunroof makes wind noise when fully down, I just always drive with it tilted up.
It's 25 years old. Only us nerds and the state consider this a classic car.

I would trust it to drive across the country and if it doesn't sell I probably will just take it to Minnesota for a friend to use.

Here are a bunch of recent pictures. Please excuse the dirty interior, I live in the country 😇 . Let me know if you have any questions

Car is located near Tomales, CA. Delivery/transportation is negotiable.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Gusman

TDI
B4V
Would clean up really well with a couple fenders and a paint job! I have original amber corner marker lights that can go on the car if the buyer prefers. Lots of extra parts available.

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
(Nigel) 2004 jw GLS 5sp / +332K miles, (Hildegarde) 2008 R320 CDI / +132K miles
Wow. California is so kind to cars.
Or, owners have done right by this car (or, both).

Mileage shouldn't be prohibitive to the right buyer.
I don't know, though - car fashion has moved on for so many folks.

GLWS!

loukytdi

TDI
1979 Rabbit Diesel, 1982 Caddy Diesel, 1997 Passat ALH TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta ALH TDI Wagon, 2012 Audi A3, Black, Titanium Package, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI, 2013 Audi A3 8P (all sold), 2015 Golf SE 6M TDI
Makes me nostalgic for my Old '97, especially when I hear that the door handles all work!

Gusman

TDI
B4V
Well, after 3 sleepy weeks posted on here, I put the car on craigslist. Sold within 24 hours to a kind and knowledgeable person who drove here in one of three B4 sedans he owns. He seemed excited to be getting into a wagon and I'm excited that he's keeping these cars alive. Two B4 wagons will be moving to their new home in the central valley of California, where the clear coat will continue to disappear but rust will never destroy them.