Solar thread

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't have all that many friends/family/acquaintances in California, but I'd say about 2/3 have solar panels. Most are somewhat well-to-do , so they probably aren't super representative of the state as a whole. But 50% of US PV installations are in California, so I don't see them giving up the solar throne in the near future.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
All my wife's family lives in LA, and I'm always surprised at how unaffected they appear with living expenses there. They will comment, but that's about it. My brother-in-law has solar on his house, but he bought it that way. I asked him how big the system is, he didn't know. None of my other in-laws have solar, even though some of their homes appear to be ideally suited to an array. And it's not just electricity that's prohibitively expensive there, it seems to me. Taxes, water, even fuel for heat can be costly, because most homes are pretty poorly insulated.

I'm surprised I don't see more solar on homes when I visit, but given what I hear at family gatherings, not that surprised.
I also have close family members in Southern California and I very much have similar observations to IndigoBlueWagon.

With additional inflation ongoing and more to come (in my view) something more of a Tsunami effect is going to happen there sooner than later.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tsunami effect? Does that mean there's a tidal wave of liberal Californians headed straight for Texas? Oh dear!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
They've already moved. Texas, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Florida, among other places. My daughter was seriously considering relocating from LA to Miami: what she would save on state taxes would nearly pay a mortgage for her.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I think it's a positive development. We need fewer red and blue states and more purple states.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting enough I have lived in both California and Texas and I see more commonality between it's people (as in character) than differences.

So, in my view, residential solar panel development/progress will be driven, primarily, by the willingness of homeowners to independently research the subject and make a councious decision about it.

I would say similar to when we decided to buy a more efficient vehicle such as one with a TDI engine now or in the past.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Texans face skyrocketing home energy bills as the state exports more natural gas than ever
https://www.texastribune.org/2022/07/05/texas-energy-bills-natural-gas-export/

(some exerpts I selected below - read the whole article to get the overall picture)

Texans are seeing skyrocketing home electric bills this spring and summer, with many customers paying at least 50% more than they did for electric bills at this time last year.

And nobody seems to know when costs will go down.

The elevated utility bills have primarily been driven by the price of natural gas, which has shot up more than 200% since late February when Russia, a top gas-producing country, invaded Ukraine and upended the world’s energy market.

Since then, Texas, the leading natural gas-producing state in the U.S., has not been able to keep offering its own residents cheap energy.

Since the war in Ukraine began, Texas has been exporting more natural gas than ever before, sending much of it to Europe as many countries try to wean themselves off Russian gas. Congress lifted a longtime ban on exporting U.S. oil and gas in 2015, which opened world markets to Texas oil and gas producers.

Public Utility Commission chair Peter Lake, appointed by Gov. Greg Abbott after the winter storm to lead the agency in charge of ERCOT, has said the grid operator is no longer prioritizing providing Texans cheap power. Instead, Lake said, its main focus is the grid’s reliability, especially during extreme hot or cold weather. But that has a price.

Golding, with the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, said Texans are paying for last year’s grid disaster — and will for years.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow, I had no idea the rates were spiking like that in Texas. I did know that the unusually hot summer was putting strain on the grid supply over much of the southwest. A ~50% rate increase should change the calculus for many Texans debating whether or not to install a solar array.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Hydrocarbons go to whomever is willing to pay the most. It's a free market economy. I'm sure all the oil company employees in Texas aren't upset about pay scales, profit sharing, or bonuses.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Perhaps in the rural areas of Texas there will be more of a buffer zone for electric rate major increases via co-ops and similar.

I do not foresee this type of 'buffering' extended to Texas urban areas now or in the future.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Meanwhile I'm getting screwed paying $0.326 per KWh, and that's only using 540 KWh per month. WTH California! I want to go solar, but I don't think I'll be in this house in 5 years to get the system payback. Plus they're screwing with net metering, paying less than what they charge you. Lastly they're talking about charging a connection fee just for the priviledge of being hooked. If anything, I'd like to peel a portion of the house off to be completely solar, no grid intertie.
This is what I think also. A small, grid-independent PV array to run a heat pump mini split (combo AC/heater) combined with lots of thermal mass to hold the cold or heat. But it would very much depend on an individual home's architecture and layout.

I've been reducing my heating/cooling bills by adding forced return air to my home. By i ncreasing airflow over us as we sleep and go about activities, we are more comfortable at a setting 2-3 degrees warner than with insufficient airflow.

Our home was built with no return registers. All the AC and heat must return back to the central AC through gaps in the door sills (when the door is shut). We don't keep our bedroom door open so our cat won't wander out and roam the house. My utility reduction projects have been:

1. Improve airflow and comfort, allowing warmer AC settings to feel just as comfortable:
1a) Added a passive return register in master walk-in closet. DONE. It already allowed me to adjust temps up about 2 degrees and feel the same comfort level.
1b.) I'm installing an AC Infinity Airlift T12 programmable fan to the passive return register so that it always improves comfort, not just when the AC unit's fan is blowing. Hoping I can bump up the temp 1 or 2 more degrees and get better comfort.

2.) Double the home's thermal mass/inertia so I can take advantage of cheaper (and more efficient) night time electric costs to heat/cool the home,
2a) Adding 750 liters of used wine bottles from our restaurant full of water under the stairs. This should almost double our home's thermal mass.
2b.) Add another AC Infinity Airlift fan on a timed cycle to store/capture the cheaper night time heat/cold and release it back to the home during peak cost hours (we get charged by time-of-use (TOU) and demand charges, as well as compound demand*TOU rates.

Edited: number of liters (typo).

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I like the wall of wine bottles idea. You could even direct some ducting to cool/heat that thermal mass to a greater degree. Never hurts to have an emergency supply of water on hand either.

yadic

TDI
just looking
This is what I think also. A small, grid-independent PV array to run a heat pump mini split (combo AC/heater) combined with lots of thermal mass to hold the cold or heat. But it would very much depend on an individual home's architecture and layout.

I've been reducing my heating/cooling bills by adding forced return air to my home. By i ncreasing airflow over us as we sleep and go about activities, we are more comfortable at a setting 2-3 degrees warner than with insufficient airflow.

Our home was built with no return registers. All the AC and heat must return back to the central AC through gaps in the door sills (when the door is shut). We don't keep our bedroom door open so our cat won't wander out and roam the house. My utility reduction projects have been:

1. Improve airflow and comfort, allowing warmer AC settings to feel just as comfortable:
1a) Added a passive return register in master walk-in closet. DONE. It already allowed me to adjust temps up about 2 degrees and feel the same comfort level.
1b.) I'm installing an AC Infinity Airlift T12 programmable fan to the passive return register so that it always improves comfort, not just when the AC unit's fan is blowing solar panel series and parallel calculator. Hoping I can bump up the temp 1 or 2 more degrees and get better comfort.

2.) Double the home's thermal mass/inertia so I can take advantage of cheaper (and more efficient) night time electric costs to heat/cool the home,
2a) Adding 750 liters of used wine bottles from our restaurant full of water under the stairs. This should almost double our home's thermal mass.
2b.) Add another AC Infinity Airlift fan on a timed cycle to store/capture the cheaper night time heat/cold and release it back to the home during peak cost hours (we get charged by time-of-use (TOU) and demand charges, as well as compound demand*TOU rates.

Edited: number of liters (typo).
I need to charge a 12 volt battery with solar and wind power? im trying to do a project with electrolysis and i need to find out how to charge a 12volt battery with a windmill and a solar panel. The solar panel charges a large battery that ex-puts in A/V, USB AND 12v car lighter. And the Windmill has a motor that can ex-put from a stripped red and black wire. I need something that can deal with the different ex-puts that can put it into a 12volt battery.