Solar battery charger

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
It was at one time. The newer cars don't usually need it so they don't give it away anymore.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
solar charger

I believe the 2004 Jetta was the last year they included a solar charger.:cool:

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
caper7 said:
I was wondering if it is standard equipment the solar charger for the battery
The later production - 06.5 A5's had their 12V DC recepticles disabled when ignition switch is off. This would eliminate it's use unless you changed the plug-in end with aligator clips and hooked it directly to the battery or rewired one of the recepticals direct. Later!

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
My moms 05.5/06 had one. The dealership said they usually take them out before they hand the cars over. They're more of a batter tender than a charger.

Jettageek1962

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG Pk1 Platinum Silver
I have one

I have one but my 2006 Jetta TDI did not come with it. My prior VW Golf Gasser had one but only after I complained to the dealer that it was not there upon delivery, but I knew it was there when I test drove the car. They gave me one to shut me up, none the less I have one now for the foreseable future. Never had to use it though.;)

CoolWhiteDude

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 1999, Cool White
There were quite a lot of them for sale on Ebay a while back. A friend of mine who works for VW gave me a dozen of the panels. I donated them to WWW.THE-MREA.org during the energy fair they have each June. They were the hottest item in the auction tent. They don't produce much power. VW originally wanted the dealers to send them back but later decided the reuse cost was too high and told the dealers to throw them out. Such a waste. I use mine to charge my cell phone.

McNair

TDI
2006 Jetta, Package 2
I purchased my 06 TDI in April, and it came with one. The salesman told me it would trickle charge the battery when plugged into the DC recepticle. But, Harvieux brings up a good point I hadn't thought of. My DC recepticle does not work when the ignition is off.... so how will this be of any benefit to the battery?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The Volkswagen solar charger I have goes through the OBDII port to keep the battery up to snuff.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
El Dobro said:
The Volkswagen solar charger I have goes through the OBDII port to keep the battery up to snuff.
I am not aware of this OBDII unit. Would you be so kind as to post a pic along with VW part # so we can all be enlightened? Later!

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep, that's the one. Picked it up on eBay for $14. The number on the back of it is 1 CO 915 687D.

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
how dare anyone buy a TDI and not drive it often enough to keep the battery charged!? harumph.

2004Nick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Solar Battery Charger

These tiny solar modules useful for maintaining starting batteries in a parked vehicle, not much else. Batteries self-
discharge at a slow rate, nice to have something to offset
that discharge if parked for long periods (in the sun) Also
available at Creppy Tire and Mall-wart.

Strider

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
eli said:
how dare anyone buy a TDI and not drive it often enough to keep the battery charged!? harumph.
Not that hard. :p If my car was a dog, she'd think she lived in the economy lot at the Airport. :D Since I bought it, my car has spent more time in the airport parking lot than in my own driveway.

But, thankfully, the Jetta has spoiled me. Every time I go on the road and wound up with your typical rental Chevy, Dodge, or Pontiac I thank my lucky stars that I have my Jetta to go home to. (yes, I'm single.. I admit it) ;)

I just wish I could find a non-tinted sun roof. My thought is to integrate a solar array into the sun roof cover that you can pull closed and hard wire it into the vehicle's electrical system. Of course, in the summer, I don't know if I want to think about what kinds of temperatures the cells would be sitting at.

theFATman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, white
Sorry for posting the same thing twice.. i just got 4 of these:

SOLAR BATTERY TRICKLE CHARGER VW OEM ... powering an LED from the output of a halogen lamp.
can bus obd connector icp solar panel specs = POWER (Watts) 4.0 W
CURRENT (mA/A) 275mA
WEIGHT 2.3 lbs
DIMENSIONS 15 X 10 inches without suction cups
DIMENSIONS 16 1/4 X 11 inches with suction cups
THICKNESS 1/2 inch without suction cups
THICKNESS 1 1/2 with suction cups
(DOUBLE SIDED SUCTION CUPS)

but i read that these are for CAN bus.... does that mean that my 2000 alh jetta won't accept the juice.. i.e. do i need to solder on a cig adapter or does my OBD accept power from it? i can post the pinout quick if no one knows off hand.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine says, right on the box between the plug and the solar cells, for OBDII port.

theFATman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, white
yeah, the new ones plug into the OBD port .. but what i read was some type of statement like "for vehicles with the can bus" (i can't seem to find the page again) but what i'm really wondering is if a 2000 alh jetta has the capability to accept power from this charger if it doesn't have can bus.. (cause it doesn't right?)

now that i've researched it a bit more i can summarize what i really want to know a bit better... what is the pinout for my car's obdII port and how does that correspond with the 2 pins present on the obd plug from the charger... does my car accept power to charge things through those spots?

here is my diagram of the connector looking at it as if the pins were facing you.. and the polarity of the pins as i found it with the multimeter.

from this perspective i mean

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I use the charger on my '98 Seville. The two pins are in the same position.

theFATman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, white
oh ok, cool, i guess it must work then. just wasn't sure if i was going to do some damage or what.

these things produce a fair amount of power in direct sunlight too... i tested it out yesterday with a sizable 12 volt fan. (.22 amps) It spun quite fast. I think if you connected one or two to a smaller gel-cell type 12v battery and added a cig lighter female plug you'd have a pretty nifty solar charger for all sorts of devices. I think we'll use them for camping this summer.

Last edited:

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
not to bump ancient threads, but i'm wondering if any of you users of these things know the answer. i just got one off of ebay and am trying to determine if it works. does anything light up on the little box by the connector? is there any kind of indicator? or do i need to take a multimeter to it? thanks.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
not to bump ancient threads, but i'm wondering if any of you users of these things know the answer. i just got one off of ebay and am trying to determine if it works. does anything light up on the little box by the connector? is there any kind of indicator? or do i need to take a multimeter to it? thanks.
Nothing lights up, just test it with a multimeter.