So why is the steering wheel off center from the seat?

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Test drove a 2012 Passat TDI today and I noticed as someone else also pointed out, the centerline of the driver's seat and centerline of the steering wheel seem to be offset from each other a bit. In other words, you don't sit directly behind the steering wheel. The centerline of the steering wheel is left of the centerline of the driver's seat. Any ideas on this?

For this short test drive, I quickly adjusted and settled in, but for long journeys it might become a body position issue IMO.

Side note: VW has successfully created a German Cam/cord. In a good way..
It still has VW attitude. For VW veterans, you can see where cuts were made, but for newbies, they will be very happy. With a bit of minor suspension tweaks, it could be really sweet. No real wind or road noise to speak of on this one. SE DSG.

Last edited:

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I thought it was to the right of the centerline of the seat? I was just looking at that today while driving, doesn't bother me a bit.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I would imagine the steering wheel is going to move around relative to the seat position since the bulkhead and powertrain are part of the NMS platform and should be the same regardless of vehicle width.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI

In the above image links you can see what I was talking about and experienced.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I hadent noticed. But VeeDubTDI is right... the wheel in my Audi was off center, and not parallel with the dash :confused: The Passat's wheel placement works good for me.

-J

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf/02/5spd 230K Passat SE/12/DSG 50K
My '02 Golf has the steering wheel offset to the center, too, but I can't remember if my older Jetta did as well. Its sort of a good position for leaning my elbow in the door shelf, and one-handing the steering wheel. Also might make it easier for tall drivers to get in the car and operate the clutch, though I suspect right hand drive steering wheels are also shifted towards the center, which would nix the clutch idea.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I just looked at mine again this morning and it is right of center relative to the drivers seat, weird that some others are left of center, how did VW manage to do that.

VTGlockster

TDI
2012 Passat SE
I've had my 2012 Passat for a little over a week and I hadn't even noticed the wheel being off center. The car is very comfortable and even quieter than the 97 Mercedes E 300D it replaced.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I find it a non issue. If it is an issue, don't buy one, or buy a jetta, jsw or golf tdi instead for you fuel mileage needs.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
I pointed out an observation for the general viewing public, as others have noted this too. I am waiting on the 2013 Passat anyway. :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I just looked at mine again this morning and it is right of center relative to the drivers seat, weird that some others are left of center, how did VW manage to do that.
Guess that means it's centered after all!

MaynardLD50

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Turns out VW really messed up on mine. I realized you're steering wheels are in the front seat and mine is mounted in the rear center where everyone whined about no rear vents. :p:confused:

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
This would bother the heck out of me. I am too OCD for this

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I think someone's butt is just lopsided.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
My wheel favors the right hand side of the car. I thought this was for Vinnie Gumbatts so he could lean way over the center console when he drives. They give this feature to everyone else for free.

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
The 91-96 Caprice and compatibles had this sort of problem: as the body was widened on a carryover frame, the cheap-out way for the wheel to point at the center of the seat was to angle the column left very slightly.

I guess they gave the enlarged Passat a similar asymmetry so I'd feel right at home.

tincansailor

TDI
2013 Passat
2013 Passat has the wheel off center to the right. It is driving me insane. VW adjusted the seat 2mm to the right (max possible), but that was not enough. Noticed my loaner Passat also has the same problem. But, one in the showroom seemed better aligned. I want out of this car. Paid too much to drive with my arms out crooked. VW Customer Care is looking into it. I want them to find me one that is set up right or buy the thing back. They need to fix this shortcut at the factory if they really want to win over the NA market.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
tincansailor: VW Customer Care will be unable to redesign the alignment of the seat to the steering wheel. It is not a defect in your car.
Depending on what vehicle you're coming from, it's either a problem or it's not. I've driven Audi/VWs since 1983, and I just don't notice it.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I'm not sure how the dealer adjusted the seat either, there is no play in the bolt holes that hold the frame to the body.

-J

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Most cars in the states have the steering wheel about two feet left of the centerline. I think that is considered normal. So much for symmetry.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Interesting. When I sit and look at it, the wheel is obviously off-center to the right. When I'm driving, I never notice.