So where did these Janky @zz exhaust clamps come from?

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
So a while back I started getting this weird, deep rattle, drove me nuts trying to find it.

Eventually I figured out it was an exhaust clamp rattling against the crossmember that goes underneath the car; just below the rear of the console.

Here is where it gets weird, so I look under the car to see the contact point and I have these super rusty exhaust clamps, like from Midas circa 1987. The actual pipe is in two sections with a split part held together by these clamps.

So I have my buddy who also owns a TDI Sportwagen (I believe his is even the same year) send me a picture of the underside of his car. Attached pictures show the difference. His has no clamps like mine, and AFAIK his car has never had a new DPF or anything exhaust related.

Now around 80,000 miles, three years ago my car was throwing a code and the dealer replaced the DPF.

Is it possible they separated the exhaust downstream, then did this hack job with the now rusty as hell janky @zz clamps?

Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh I just looked it up, the DPF (along with the high side EGR and filter) was replaced at 76,618 miles back in August of 2018.

The car started making the rattle at around 109,300 miles.

The work order does list a lot of exhaust pipe and related components; so I have no doubt the dealer installed these clamps which of course rusted into dust in less than three years.

Seems to me they should make this right under the emissions warranty, since they are the ones who did this substandard work.

Analogeezer

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
We just replaced the rear clamp on our '11 GOV before it failed; VAG PN 1K0-253-141-M (list $31, don't pay list). Had a similar clamp fail on our A4q on the highway not far from home a few years ago, boy was it loud, but the coupling held until we got it repaired next day. --g

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
We just replaced the rear clamp on our '11 GOV before it failed; VAG PN 1K0-253-141-M (list $31, don't pay list). Had a similar clamp fail on our A4q on the highway not far from home a few years ago, boy was it loud, but the coupling held until we got it repaired next day. --g
Yeah that does look like what is on my car, very weird my friend's car is so different. Did they change this over time or something?

Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
Yours are spun down. His are spun up. I had those clamps on my mk6.
Ahhh I get it now. So it sounds like when they reinstalled those they spun them downward to make it easier to tighten them, VW Dealers, figures LOL.

Seems like they are way too rusty to bother rotating them, even if you could without them breaking.

I guess I'll add replacing this clamp and rotating it the correct way to my 110k service then.

Thanks Guys!

Analogeezer

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Ahhh I get it now. So it sounds like when they reinstalled those they spun them downward to make it easier to tighten them, VW Dealers, figures LOL.

Seems like they are way too rusty to bother rotating them, even if you could without them breaking.

I guess I'll add replacing this clamp and rotating it the correct way to my 110k service then.

Thanks Guys!

Analogeezer
It's called an exhaust vw sleeve clamp.