So what does the auditor actually do?

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
So I was excited to see my 2013 Golf verified. I had some stress on whether VW would buy it back. (Salvaged Title) A lot of relieve to see those green check marks.
Now I look forward to seeing my Golf pass the last phase and receive an offer. From what I have gathered the first step is controlled by VW and the 3rd party they hired to verify the documents that where downloaded meet their requirements for acceptance and are complete. They then pass it on, as part of an oversight I would think, to the auditor to verify VW's is accurate.
Here is my question.
1st - If VW verify's your doc's is it their job to make sure you just have the right documents and that they are clear and legible to pass on to the auditor to give final judgement, or is VW finalizing the doc's, accepting them, creating the offer and then passing it on to Auditor?
2nd - What is the actual job of the auditor? To verify VW isn't screwing anyone or are they taking VW's preliminary work and actually verifying the vehicle meets settlement guidelines and creating the offer?
Have we had anyone verified by VW and turned down by auditor?

jekl843

TDI
2011 Golf TDI (sold), 2002 Jetta TDI 5spd, 2017 GTI SE 6spd
Side story that is somewhat related. When I was uploading my documents, I didn't notice that my old clunker of a xerox scanner scanned the back of my title in 5"x7" format instead of 8.5"x11" format cutting off a large portion of title. As this was the last document to upload, the green checks started blazing and it wouldn't allow me to go back and re-upload the document. Obviously panic mode immediately set in.

Well, my version of panic mode consists of me going "Just Frack it" and let's see what happens.

Lo and behold, a couple weeks later I was sent an official offer.

Moral of the story, I don't even think anybody examined my documents, nor will, until I head on down and turn in the vehicle.

I wonder what they'll say when they see my car with no doors, no windows, no seats, no lights... just a lil ol' 2.0L TDi motor, a few wheels and the steering wheel. :D

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Side story that is somewhat related. When I was uploading my documents, I didn't notice that my old clunker of a xerox scanner scanned the back of my title in 5"x7" format instead of 8.5"x11" format cutting off a large portion of title. As this was the last document to upload, the green checks started blazing and it wouldn't allow me to go back and re-upload the document. Obviously panic mode immediately set in.
Well, my version of panic mode consists of me going "Just Frack it" and let's see what happens.
Lo and behold, a couple weeks later I was sent an official offer.
Moral of the story, I don't even think anybody examined my documents, nor will, until I head on down and turn in the vehicle.
I wonder what they'll say when they see my car with no doors, no windows, no seats, no lights... just a lil ol' 2.0L TDi motor, a few wheels and the steering wheel. :D
If you do this, PLEASE take pics. :eek:

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
IS anyone sure how this process works, or are we all in the dark?

Does the auditor just oversight or are they the ones that approve and make the offer?

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
SO I asked this question on one of my several phone calls to the hotline. They basically told me that the auditors are reviewing everything VW is doing in the process. They are double checking VW's work to make sure there aren't any mistakes. VW is reviewing and accepting the documents you upload but you don't get the email before the auditor checks their work.

VW is generating the offer but you don't get the email before the auditors check their work.

You send back the offer notarized - VW does their thing with it, the auditors check their work.

Thats how it was explained to me.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
SO I asked this question on one of my several phone calls to the hotline. They basically told me that the auditors are reviewing everything VW is doing in the process. They are double checking VW's work to make sure there aren't any mistakes. VW is reviewing and accepting the documents you upload but you don't get the email before the auditor checks their work.

VW is generating the offer but you don't get the email before the auditors check their work.

You send back the offer notarized - VW does their thing with it, the auditors check their work.

Thats how it was explained to me.
Thanks for replying Salsaman. Do you think they are oversight for our protection or are they the final say in the process?

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for replying Salsaman. Do you think they are oversight for our protection or are they the final say in the process?

I got the impression this was oversight and VW is making the decisions. I wouldn't really use the word oversight because that implies some control. It really is auditing. The auditing protects both parties - i.e. that VW isn't screwing us or themselves.

Last edited:

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Perhaps the auditor or someone representing VWAG will run a CARFAX or something similar to verify VIN and registration and check for evidence of a declaration of total loss among other unknown verifications.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
Perhaps the auditor or someone representing VWAG will run a CARFAX or something similar to verify VIN and registration and check for evidence of a declaration of total loss among other unknown verifications.
Could be. I think that would be plausible.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
Could be but I would love to see a description from the courts or VW on the job description of the auditor. I would think the role is more of a checks and balance to keep VW honest and protect claimants. Totally speculating though, and possibly wishful thinking.

Mollsmom

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
My documents were all marked complete, I also had a salvage title so was relieved. Today I received a request for Proof of Acquisition, to be mailed or faxed, and when I go back to my portal page, the documents are all under review again.
So I guess there's one thing the auditor does.
Note my salvage title was issued in July, but title never transferred to insurance so the lawyers say I should be ok.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
My documents were all marked complete, I also had a salvage title so was relieved. Today I received a request for Proof of Acquisition, to be mailed or faxed, and when I go back to my portal page, the documents are all under review again.
So I guess there's one thing the auditor does.
Note my salvage title was issued in July, but title never transferred to insurance so the lawyers say I should be ok.
Based on the CAS docs definitions, if the car wasn't totaled before 9/2015, and salvaged after the news broke, or totaled this summer, and sold during the gap between 6/28 and the opt-out date, the branded title isn't supposed to matter.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
why does it matter if it was totaled before 9/2015? thats when the 'news' broke, so logically thinking if it was totaled after the date then it would matter

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
why does it matter if it was totaled before 9/2015? thats when the 'news' broke, so logically thinking if it was totaled after the date then it would matter
Because....the values weren't affected until the news broke. Anything before and you would have gotten fair market value from insurance company on a totaled vehicle.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Because....the values weren't affected until the news broke. Anything before and you would have gotten fair market value from insurance company on a totaled vehicle.
thats when you total your own car, but if you got salvage title car with the intent to rebuild it shouldnt matter

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
thats when you total your own car, but if you got salvage title car with the intent to rebuild it shouldnt matter
You didn't mention anything about salvage. You specifically used the word "totaled". I was answering what you asked.

The whole point of labeling something "pre" sept '15 or Post" sept '15 all revolves around the value of the vehicle pre or post. If one was compensated for a loss before sept '15 they got the value of the vehicle without a loss due to the emissions scandal. everyone who owned a TDI before sep '15 and still owned it thru and post sep '15 lost significant value - which VW is attempting to compensate for with the "Restitution" part of the settlement.

But to address your salvage question if there was one (its hard to tell what you are asking) If the title was marked "salvage" on sep 18, 2015 and it was acquired from a junkyard or salvage yard then you are excluded from the settlement class and you get no compensation.

Mollsmom

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
My car was totaled July 3, 2016, so in the fuzzy area. Since I did not give it to the insurance, and no title changed hands, the lawyer said I should be able to receive restitution. Title was not marked Salvage until summer 2016. Not sure why they want the proof of purchase, but perhaps to make sure I didn't purchase it after the salvage title was issued?
I saw DanB36 got an offer on his wrecked car so I'm hopeful. Although his was wrecked after the opt out date.
By the way, the car looks terrible but still drives and could be fixed for far less than the car value, very annoying that I couldn't get them to just give me the repair money.

Last edited:

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
My car was totaled July 3, 2016, so in the fuzzy area. Since I did not give it to the insurance, and no title changed hands, the lawyer said I should be able to receive restitution. Title was not marked Salvage until summer 2016. Not sure why they want the proof of purchase, but perhaps to make sure I didn't purchase it after the salvage title was issued?
I saw DanB36 got an offer on his wrecked car so I'm hopeful. Although his was wrecked after the opt out date.
By the way, the car looks terrible but still drives and could be fixed for far less than the car value, very annoying that I couldn't get them to just give me the repair money.
Now that you have a salvage title, the proof of purchase is most likely to show them that you didn't purchase the car from a junkyard or salvage dealer -which, if you did, completely excludes you from the settlement class.

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MK5-DSG-119K-Malone 1.5 Past: 1997 Passat, 2012 Jetta wagon, 1987 Ford Ranger diesel, 1982 Chevette diesel
Now that you have a salvage title, the proof of purchase is most likely to show them that you didn't purchase the car from a junkyard or salvage dealer -which, if you did, completely excludes you from the settlement class.
I feel like I've read several different takes here on the settlement wording concerning this. One of the more supported interpretations is that you have to have had a branded title before 9/18/15 *AND* also purchased from a junkyard.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see who's getting what.

Last edited: