So What Do I Have Exactly?

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
Help me out here. I'm beginning to get a little miffed that I may have made a poor decision and need insight on where to go from here.

Back at the beginning of February my vnt15 crapped the bed in my alh. I decided to build the car pretty decently after that and upgraded the entire fuel system, fmic, headstuds, exhaust and a bunch of other stuff. I was also shopping around for a turbo.

Everything on the car has been bought from tdiclub vendors, save for the eBay front mount. I found a tdiclub vendor on Facebook and have tried to protect privacy until I figure out what I'm going to do. I contacted them to see what turbos they had in stock. I wanted a 17/22 or equivalent as I had already planned for a stage 5 custom Malone tune. We had the following conversation below:

So I took their word for it. Ordered it and a tune.

I got everything installed a few weeks later, installed a base tune from Malone until I got everything sorted and all of the kinks worked out since I changed so much. I noticed that, for a 17/52 it smoked pretty heavily for only having an 11mm, lift pump and dbw pp764's. I had a run in with Kerma which has since been sorted on some parts issues but that gets me to where I am today.

I went to install a Kerma OMI a few weeks back and when I ordered it, I bought the 17/22 outlet adapter. When I recieved it, it was way to big for the inlet, but I noticed my factory intake tube fit just fine, which I thought was odd. I recorded the correct adapter and installed in yesterday. I never took notice as to what was stamped in the turbo, as I didn't have a reason to. I stuck my phone down beside it and snapped this picture:

(Massive Picture)
http://i.imgur.com/cPdhRJC.jpg

After typing that number into google. I get hits that this is just a beefed up vnt15, which is far from what I wanted. My Malone tune has this pushing a sustained 25-26 the few times I've stepped on it. I haven't pushed the car hard but I wouldn't have spent the money I did on supporting modifications and a Malone stage 5 to run a similar factory turbo.

I've put about 500 miles on the car since everything has been finished and sorted, so I can't really return it. Nor do I want to spend another grand to 1400 to get the turbo I actually want then try to sell this one.

I'm in a pickle and not sure which way to go from here. I feel like I made an assumption and may be sol here.

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
If I read the part number correctly, 038253019H

PD130 ASZ turbo 1749VA

That's best case.

If the part number is 019M it's a Pd100 turbo, VNT15
The label DOES say GT1740V (Not VA) but that doesn't necessarily mean anything

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't know a lot about 17/56s as we haven't ever sold them. But I have been talking with my local guru about them recently, and it's not uncommon that the larger internals go into a VNT-15 housing. Welding them to a stock manifold isn't that uncommon, either. And the vendor did write "externally it's the same using stock housings." Doesn't sound like he misrepresented it.

My mechanic said they work pretty well, but may not be able to clear quite as much air as a 17/22. Totally maxed out he said you should be able to get close to 200 HP, where with a 17/22 you could get to 230 in an ALH. You say you "only" have 764s and an 11mm pump. IMO that's a lot of fuel. I had a hard time getting smoke out of my car with the same fueling and a 17/22. And it doesn't sound like you were driving with upgraded breathing, like a PD150 airbox, turbo inlet, or intake manifold. Those would help.

Seems to me that the 17/56 with the right tuning should be a nice setup. Since you've already go it installed I'd work on that.

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
Awesome Guys.

Thank you.

That makes me more comfortable. I wasn't pushing for the fact that it was misrepresented, I was just confused with information on both sides of the coin.

The car has:

Kerma OMI
Pd150 Intake Mani
Darkside EGR delete
Profidiesel 2.5in exhaust
Upgraded Oil Cooler
11mm pump
Lift pump
Pp764's "stage 2"
Egt and boost guages
Arp studs
Fmic and piping
Bfi mounts
SB Clutch and 14lb flywheel

And scads of other work done to the car. I'll probably put a cam in it near winter. Next step is a 5th gear.

I was hoping for 180+ hp. But I wanted to be sure it wasn't to much for this turbo because it was something it wasn't.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Gtx wheel im not a fan of beter use THE 6/6 öre 7/7 compressor wheel
A 52 mm wheel does around 200 hp
Buth iTS a hybrid so if they use THE stock turbine and a 52mm comp
The emp go sky high and limits hp
Youre beter of buying That gtb1756vk

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
mine's a 1752 sorta thing cobbled together from junkyard parts for beer money, the 52 only refers to the exducer.
I'd bet they make extended tip 1749 wheels that have a 52mm effective exducer

My TD04's cover says 14t, but there's a 19t wheel in there now. That's just the thing with aftermarket 'whiz-bang' turbos, who knows what the heck it actually is. Pull the comp cover and measure the inducer and exducer, we'll be able to tell you more.

ETA: oh, and stick an exhaust manifold pressure gauge to it.

Last edited:

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
You probably got what is called a "stealth vnt17" or in your case 1752 internals in the vnt15 housing so everything looks stock but obviously isn't. ;)

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
You probably got what is called a "stealth vnt17" or in your case 1752 internals in the vnt15 housing so everything looks stock but obviously isn't. ;)
That makes me feel a little better. I'm sure it isn't as efficient but it'll do for now.
mine's a 1752 sorta thing cobbled together from junkyard parts for beer money, the 52 only refers to the exducer.
I'd bet they make extended tip 1749 wheels that have a 52mm effective exducer

My TD04's cover says 14t, but there's a 19t wheel in there now. That's just the thing with aftermarket 'whiz-bang' turbos, who knows what the heck it actually is. Pull the comp cover and measure the inducer and exducer, we'll be able to tell you more.

ETA: oh, and stick an exhaust manifold pressure gauge to it.
What significant data would I see with an emp guage and what could I do to control to high of pressure?

Gtx wheel im not a fan of beter use THE 6/6 öre 7/7 compressor wheel
A 52 mm wheel does around 200 hp
Buth iTS a hybrid so if they use THE stock turbine and a 52mm comp
The emp go sky high and limits hp
Youre beter of buying That gtb1756vk
I already bought the aforementioned turbo. Nothing I can really do now.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
What significant data would I see with an emp guage and what could I do to control to high of pressure?
Vane position control issues, and more applicable to you who does not do the tuning yourself; it'll also tell you if the turbine is a major restriction. I was getting 60 PSI in the exhaust and 25 PSI in the intake with my GT1749v turbine, big huge restriction there.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I am currently using a 17/56 that was made from a crashed vnt-15. It has a 17 series cartridge with a 41mm x 56mm, 6+6 billet compressor wheel. The machining held 0.010 tolerance on the compressor cover and it is a beast. I haven't gotten my tune upgraded yet, but even with the Stage 3 tune I currently have written for .205 nozzles. The .230 nozzles I now have makes the difference literally night and day. Because I am not not working this turbo to it's limits, I don't believe EMP's will be an issue in my application, but I may be wrong...

EDIT: I had the opportunity to drive up to Lake Tahoe a few days ago @ 6200' elev. There were a couple of places where the elevation is higher before "dropping down" into Lake Tahoe. My starting elevation was/is 4600' and that was a big part of my decision to go with a 17/56 over a different 17/xx turbo based on this information: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/turbo-upgrade-guide-and-part-numbers-for-vw-and-audi-tdi-engine/ VNT-15's (1749v) do not like making 18 PSI at 4600' and above in my personal experience, and moving up to a "real 17" such as a 1749vb was cost prohibitive. The drive was amazing!, instead of having to up shift and downshift in and out of all of the corners, I put the trans in 4th gear and kept the RPM's between 2200 and 2500 all of the way up the hill (17 miles) and basically just had to aim and squeeze the last 15 miles of the climb. There was no noticeable amount of lag at any time, and if the RPM dropped below 2200 for any reason, rather than downshifting I just feathered the throttle back to the sweet spot.
If anyone decides they are going to modify their TDI for more power IMHO, don't keep buying "more power" parts over and over if at all possible. When I purchased my .205's I purchased that size out of ignorance, they were the least expensive and worth at least 20 more HP. At the time PP764's (which I now have) weren't much more money (like they are now) and I have long wished I would have purchased something bigger. The difference between a vnt-15 and a VNT-17 back then was $150.00 including the adapter; it didn't take me long to wish I would have purchased the larger turbo, and had I of known the 17 was a stronger built turbo I probably would have purchased the piece of mind for the few extra dollars. I apologize for the long post; if I would have known 8 years ago what I know now I would have planned and spent very differently; I would have gotten the bada$$ parts up front, and would have had my tuner write me a clutch saver tune at the time, and after I replaced the factory clutch (which lasted 220k miles) I would have had my tuner write me something like I have now, and I am no where even close to the amount of power currently available.

Last edited: