So VW will remarket the cars?? so much for a 14 Billion loss

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I really don't care what VW does with the car after I get a check. I would prefer to see it live on and if they can do that and get a part of their money back, well, whatever.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I've always thought that these cars will be like the 2005 passats. Once they stop being available new, the price of those cars skyrocketed on the used market. The asking price for 2 year old Passats with 40k miles was $10k MORE than MSRP!!

But Also consider: One reason VW TDI have historically held their value so amazingly well (defies all reason actually) is due to the lack of factory incentives. In other words, new car rebates and so forth. But now we have the mother of all rebates.

On the other hand I remember seeing "edmunds" used car pricing for those oldsmobile/caprice diesels back in the day. For a car that went for $7-8000 new the used car guides were showing a deduction of -3500 dollars if it was a diesel as a 2 year old car. Now granted it was much different circumstances because EVERY ONE of those 350 diesels popped a head gasket. (close to 100% failure rate!)

There is some concern about VW HPFP but the failure rate in those is much less than 1% at 100k miles if you look at the nhtsa data. (forums posting amplifies the fear and percieved risk, though). And consider that stuff will have a fresh 48k mile warranty after the fix so there's that.

I suspect there will be a fair number of used common rail tdis available next year and it will be the deal of a lifetime.

ecupip

TDI
2012 TDI
There is a lack of cheap cars in the market. High MPG cars <10k are hard to find. Recall every dollar they make on the fixed cars over the cost of the fix removes some of the pain of the buyback.

If the fix costs $3k to perform, and buy a warranty for $1k, sell the car for $7k, it's a spot in the market that lacks decent cars. Sure they only get 3k for the car, but it's 3k they wouldn't otherwise have, and with say 200k cars, they will be paying to crush them anyway, so selling them at $0 profit is actually better than crushing them.
I do not disagree with any of that. VW may want to make their money back, but the dealers themselves do not like having older, cheaper cars on the lots. They are in the business of selling new or slightly used cars. It is easier for them to sway a used car buyer to new when the gap isn't so great.

The majority of the turn-ins will probably be fixed and sold to the secondary used car market/dealers.

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I do not disagree with any of that. VW may want to make their money back, but the dealers themselves do not like having older, cheaper cars on the lots. They are in the business of selling new or slightly used cars. It is easier for them to sway a used car buyer to new when the gap isn't so great.
The majority of the turn-ins will probably be fixed and sold to the secondary used car market/dealers.
I disagree, my VW dealer makes more money selling used cars rather than brand new vehicles. The dealers will definitely want fixed TDI's on their lot..

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
I disagree, my VW dealer makes more money selling used cars rather than brand new vehicles. The dealers will definitely want fixed TDI's on their lot..
Especially ones with a 4 year 48k warranty, hard to beat that on a used car, almost never seen in the <12k range.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
That's true in normal economics. In this case though, your car, and 100 more just like it exist. Oversupply drives the price down, so I'm hopeful that due to a glut of repaired models, the average price will drop.
Who knows how people will react. If people think they are getting the deal of a lifetime they will pay so much that it will be a bad deal for them.

02TDIred

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta (225K, retired), 05 JSW (334K, retired) 2012 JSW, SEL Gone, 2016 GSW/TSI/6A
This forum is US based, but why in h3ll is no one considering VW won't export the buybacks (that are US certified) to countries that "love" diesels ?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I wouldn't completely exclude the possibility, but there are quite a number of factors against that:

(1) The countries for which they would actually be able to, in theory, sell them for decent money (i.e. not 3rd world with no money), all use UN-ECE motor vehicle standards, not US standards.
(1a) That means changing headlights, taillights, wiring, and controllers, because the US-spec lighting doesn't meet UN-ECE standards. Mildly annoying and a smidge expensive.
(1b) It may mean changing airbags or re-certifying the vehicles. The crash test requirements and procedures are different.
(1c) It means changing the instrument cluster. The US-market warning lamp that says "BRAKE" does not meet the UN-ECE standards which require a language-agnostic symbol. Even the Canadian-market models use that symbol.
(2) For the US-spec vehicles, the speedometer is in gibberish units for the rest of the world except the UK, and it's on the wrong side of the car for the UK. Change the instrument cluster ... expensive.
(3) Most of the rest of the world wants hatchbacks and wagons in cars that are in this size and price class. Most of the American-market models are Jetta sedans, which don't sell well in other markets.
(4) The US-spec emission control package, post-fix, is "different" from the rest-of-world emission control package. You could perhaps argue it is, or will be, "better", but I know how these certification tests work. "Did this particular emission control package (North American spec) go through this particular test (Europe)" - correct answer is NO - therefore - re-certification needed! Authorities are very "IF ... THEN ..." about this sort of thing. We can't use perfectly good and safe CE-marked, but not CSA-marked, electrical equipment in our electrical panels here in Canada. The inspector looks for that CSA mark, and nothing else matters!

ricks

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta Sportwagen
Have a friend who works as a repair tech at a local VW dealership. He stated that VW has a fix and that the cars will not be 100% EPA compliant, but the EPA is has agreed to what VW has been able to achieve. How that will work in CA and strict states, I don't know. I believe he said software and emissions equipment will be changed and that's it. The good news is that performance will only have a minimal impact as well as economy.

The bought back cars will also undergo the treatment and will be resold. No discussion on pricing.

Since my Sportwagen only has 55K miles with zero issues, other than the pano drains I just repaired two days ago, thanks YouTube posters, I will keep it and get the fix. If performance is impacted, I will get it Maloned. Also will add the micron filter as insurance. Even though it is a 2010, it is still a blast to drive on the back roads and love those brakes. With the cash it will also get new tires and either bank the rest or put it toward the mortgage. The alternative was getting the $15.5K buyout and spending another $10K on a replacement. I would rather have the money in my pocket.

It will be interesting to see the pricing on the returned cars.

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Have a friend who works as a repair tech at a local VW dealership. He stated that VW has a fix and that the cars will not be 100% EPA compliant, but the EPA is has agreed to what VW has been able to achieve. How that will work in CA and strict states, I don't know. I believe he said software and emissions equipment will be changed and that's it. The good news is that performance will only have a minimal impact as well as economy.

The bought back cars will also undergo the treatment and will be resold. No discussion on pricing.

Since my Sportwagen only has 55K miles with zero issues, other than the pano drains I just repaired two days ago, thanks YouTube posters, I will keep it and get the fix. If performance is impacted, I will get it Maloned. Also will add the micron filter as insurance. Even though it is a 2010, it is still a blast to drive on the back roads and love those brakes. With the cash it will also get new tires.

It will be interesting to see the pricing on the returned cars.

You obviously don't do much reading on Dieselgate, do you ?

CA - NO PROBLEM (as well as most other CARB states), 44 OTHER States - ALSO NO PROBLEM (even if you do not get your car fixed) . You can keep AND DRIVE your TDI until you get tired of it (or it doesn't pass OBDII tests). Even some of the states that HAVEN'T taken settlement money will probably not be a problem.

Fizzyone

TDI
2014 Golf TDI
I am in the latter. No way am I considering a 15 at or near MSRP, it is a 2 year old car, when I can get al Alltrack for 2-3K off of MSRP, the TDI will have to be thousands below that. Will I miss the mileage, yes but I will have AWD, heated seats and Apple CarPlay.
That's exactly why I'm getting an Alltrack. I have a 120 mile per day commute to work (3 days a week) so it means I'll have to fill up once a week instead of every other week,
but those extras make it worth it to me.